Times are changing and life is ever evolving, the previously male dominated spectrum of moviemaking has become a place where women are steadily taking control of with their ideas, vision and discipline. The visual artistist and cinematographers are the heroes of movies, they are the ones behind the sugar and spice of interesting movies that we all love to spend several hours to watch and to entertain ourselves with.
Here, this list is created in honor of the ten female moviemakers we should all know:
- Tope Oshin: Tope Oshin was the first female to direct the popular television series Tinsel, she shot five seasons and a total of 350 episodes. She is one of the leading female directors in the industry, she has directed several other prominent projects such Shuga (season 3 and 6), Fifty, Journey to self, The Young Smoker, Hush and The Apprentice Africa. She is one of the most respected filmmakers among the male and the female.
2. Omoni Oboli: The beautiful and charming Omoni Oboli has worked on several movie projects. She directed the movies Being Mrs Elliot, 1st lady, Okafor’s Law, a movie that grossed over 90 million Naira during the time of its release. Most of her movies are concentrated on empowering gender equality.
3. Emem Isong: She is primarily a screenwriter, movie producer and director. She is a giant in the movie industry and most of her movies discuss about dark issues e.g the movie Code of Silence narrates the story on rape in 2015. Her first solo project was Breaking Point and she has since directed movies such as Games women play and Reloaded, just to name a few of her great work.
4. Bolanle Austin-Peters: Bolanle produced the movie ’93 days’ that portrays the 2014 nefarious Ebola outbreak that occurred in West Africa. She is a trained Lawyer and businesswoman, she also owns the art and culture center Terra Kulture which is located in Lagos, Nigeria.
5. Kemi Adetiba: Prior to venturing into movie direction, Kemi worked as a video music director, she directed Olamide’s hit single ‘Sitting on the throne’ which was classic and quite exceptional. She directed the movies The Wedding Party in 2016 and King of Boys in 2018. Her directional works are always elegant.
6. Funke Akindele-Bello: Basically one of the most hardworking and creative acting personnel in the industry. Funke made her acting debut in 1999 and gained mainstream prominence in 2008 with the comedy movie Jenifa which she wrote and directed. She elaborated the movie into series and it is currently in its tenth season. She also created the series Industreet which gives young actors the opportunity to perform.
7. Chinenze Anyaene: she directed the movie Ije which featured Nollywood’s most successful actresses Genevieve Nnaji and Omotola Jolade-Ekeinde.
8. Blessing Egbe: Blessing is renowned for making movies that are women affiliated. She directed the Nigerian series Lekki Wives, then took on movie projects such as Two brides and a baby, one room, this thing called marriage and The woman. All her movies are artistic.
9. Bunmi Ajakaiye: Bunmi directed the comedy webseries Skinny girl in transit and the star-studded Nigerian movie My wife and I.