Masturbation touching yourself for sexual pleasure is normal behaviour and can lead to orgasm. Often a person’s first orgasm comes from masturbation, so it can be a great way to understand your body and explore your desires. Masturbation can help you become comfortable in communicating your needs to a sexual partner.
Unfortunately, taboos about masturbation can condition people to feel shameful about doing it. If you’re not harming yourself or others, masturbating is completely safe and normal.
Here’s why you should masturbate when you’re on your period.
1. It really won’t be as messy as you’re imagining Yes, you might get some blood and other fluids on your hands. But you can wash them immediately afterwards, you know. Plus you’re actually releasing a lot less blood than you might be imagining. You tend to release around 30ml to 40ml of blood throughout the course of menstruation.
In the half an hour that you’re getting off, there’s hardly any blood actually being released. So stop imagining getting puddles of blood up to your shoulder.
2. Period blood isn’t ‘gross’ or ‘dirty’ It’s just a natural shedding of the uterine lining. It’s not toxic, dirty, or in any way damaging to get on your hands or a sex toy.
3. And the idea that it’s gross is just another way of criticising women’s bodies If you think that periods are gross, you’re effectively just saying that you think vaginas are gross. Which they’re not. They’re glorious.
4. It’s easy to clean up afterwards Make sure to wash and wipe down any toys and you’re set.
5. Orgasms can relieve cramp-related pain And pain in general, which is handy if you’re someone who gets headaches, back-ache, and every other ache during period time.
6. And they’ll make you feel sexier when you might be feeling rubbish There are few things that make you feel sexier than, well, doing something sexual. You don’t need to get anyone else involved to accomplish that. Do it solo.
7. Let’s be real. You’re horny. Increased period horny-ness is a very real thing and it must be used to its full potential.
8. And you might have even better orgasms than usual When you’re extra turned on, orgasms are always more likely. Make the most of it.
9. Masturbating can reduce the length of your periods The contractions caused by having an orgasm work to shift the uterine lining out more quickly, meaning that masturbating a few times can actually end up reducing your period by a day or two. Sweet.
10. You won’t need any lube Period blood is a natural lubricant. Nice.
11. It’s a brilliant way to complete your period-related self-care routine Sweatpants on. Junk food ready. Pile of blankets. Add in a masturbation sesh and your evening is pretty much perfect.
12. It’s always brilliant to take sexual pleasure into your own hands It’s empowering to know that you’re able to make yourself feel good whenever you want.
13. It relieves stress Which is important on a normal day, but absolutely crucial when you’re PMS-ing.
14. There are literally no bad side effects No risk of pregnancy (which there is when you have period sex with a partner), no risk of STIs, absolutely no bad outcomes apart from potential stains.
Which you can avoid by putting down a towel and quickly rinsing any stained stuff with cold water before popping it in the washing machine.
15. It might even be better than period sex You know what you like better than anyone else.