Rwanda’s genocide suspect arrested after 21 years

Rwanda’s genocide suspect arrested after 21 years

Interpol agents arrested a Rwandan with a $5m bounty on his head who is among the most wanted for the 1994 genocide, officials said on Thursday.

Ladislas Ntaganzwa was arrested in the eastern Congo city of Goma late on Monday, according to John Bosco Siboyintore, head of the genocide tracking unit at Rwanda’s Public Prosecution Authority, and Richard Muhumuza, Rwanda’s prosecutor general.

Ntaganzwa is among the nine most-wanted fugitives in the 1994 Rwanda genocide which killed more than 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus, Siboyintore said.

The UN’s international criminal tribunal for Rwanda sought Ntaganzwa to answer charges related to participation in genocide and incitement to commit genocide.

Ntaganzwa allegedly carried out these acts as mayor of Nyakizu. The ICTR closed its proceedings last week after nearly 20 years of pursuing and prosecuting genocide suspects and transferred Ntaganzwa’s case to Rwanda.

Muhumuza said the country has started extradition proceedings for Ntaganzwa to stand trial in Rwanda. Read more

 

Photo credit

 

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *