A Berlin teen who claimed to have been abducted and gang-raped by migrants, sparking angry protests and an international row with Russia, has admitted making up the story and was found to have been staying with a German man instead, an official said Monday.
The 13-year-old girl — a member of Berlin’s Russian-speaking community — made the rape claim to police when she returned after a 30-hour absence last month. She alleged that three men of Arabic and Turkish descent had dragged her into a car at a train station and abused her.
Stories of the girl’s ordeal circulated in Russian media and on social networks, prompting street demonstrations by Russian-German communities and right-wing groups.
Even Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov weighed in, accusing German authorities of a politically correct “coverup.” But Berlin prosecutor’s office spokesman Martin Steltner said the girl withdrew her claim after a medical examination showed that she had not been raped. Police determined through her phone records that she was staying with a German man on the night of her absence, Steltner said. Read more