The incumbent governor of Lagos State, Akinwunmi Ambode gave a televised conciliatory speech yesterday as he congratulated the winner of the All Progressive Congress (APC) gubernatorial primaries, Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
Babajide Sanwo-Olu won the primaries in a very comprehensive victory that held across different wards in the state and is set to be the APC flagbearer during the upcoming elections in 2019.
Here are five things Ambode hinted in his speech:
- The governor appealed to Lagosians to rally around Sanwo-Olu and that the interests of the party supersede that of any individual. This is necessary in order to forestall any person harbouring thoughts of fomenting trouble on his behalf.
- He urged Lagosians to work together in order to ensure the success of the party during the upcoming elections.
- Ambode reassured Lagosians that he will do his utmost to ensure a smooth transition to ensure the regime of Sanwo-Olu starts with minimal hitches.
- He hinted at still remaining in the APC by reaffirming his loyalty to the cause of the party. This move is a crucial one because of the recent rift between rival supporters. With this speech, the party can close ranks and rally towards winning the 2019 elections.
- The governor also seems to be back in the favour of Bola Tinubu through this monumental move of granting a conciliatory speech to the opponent.