No fewer than 94 shops were destroyed on Sunday after a shopping complex in the Yaba area of Lagos was gutted by fire.
This is just as two residents of Abeokuta Street, Ebute-Meta, sustained burns in the fire that broke out from the first floor of a two-storeyed building on the street.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the Yaba incident happened around 12.30am with goods worth millions of naira destroyed in the inferno.
It was gathered that the fire started from a shop at the back of the Yaba Shopping Complex, before it escalated.
However, officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency and firefighters from the state fire service were able to salvage about 117 shops in the complex.
An eyewitness, Saka Omoyeni, said inflammable materials in some of the shops fueled the fire.
He said, “Materials such as clothes, as well as air conditioners and generators with fuel, made the fire to rage and destroy a lot of shops. The loss was too much.” Read more