A British man’s heart stopped after he accidentally swallowed a 6-inch long Dover sole on a fishing trip in Boscombe, in southern England.
The man, 28, who was not named, went into cardiac arrest on Oct. 5 after the fish leapt into his mouth, completely blocking his throat. However, paramedics were able to clear his airway after drawing the sole free with a forceps. They saved his life.
Matt Harrison, an emergency responder for the South Western Ambulance Service, said he was on the scene in less than two minutes. When he arrived on the dimly-lit pier where the man was fishing, a friend of the casualty was already performing CPR.
This friend, also not named, told Harrison the 28-year-old had jokingly placed a fish he had just caught over his mouth. The sole then wriggled free and jumped into his throat. Read more