May 27, 2018

8-year-old boy dies from flesh-eating bacteria after falling off bike (Independent)

8-year-old boy dies from flesh-eating bacteria after falling off bike (Independent)

A young boy has died after contracting a rare flesh-eating bacteria after falling off his bike.

Liam Flanagan, 8, from Pilot Rock in Oregon, was riding down a hill when he fell, sustaining a cut on his leg which required stitches.

He was treated in hospital and sent home to recover, but three days later he was still complaining of pain in his thigh and groin.

The boy’s mother, Sara Hebard, and her husband, Scott Hinkle, checked him and noticed the skin around the area was discoloured.

Liam was taken to hospital and diagnosed with necrotising fasciitis, a rare but serious bacterial infection that affects the tissue underneath the skin and the surrounding muscles and organs.

The bacteria is believed to have entered the boy’s body via soil in his cut. Read more

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *