After a breathtaking primary election, Babajide Sanwo-Olu won in a comprehensive victory on Tuesday, October 2, and emerged as the gubernatorial candidate of the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) in Lagos State defeating incumbent, Akinwunmi Ambode in the process.
Besides the fact that Sanwo-Olu was Tinubu’s preferred candidate, many Lagosians know next to nothing about the APC gubernatorial candidate.
Here are nine facts about Babajide Sanwo-Olu:
- Babajide Sanwo-Olu is 53-years-old. He is Christian and married to Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu, their marriage is blessed with four kids.
- A graduate of the University of Lagos; he holds a B.Sc and an MBA in Surveying from the University of Lagos. He also attended the Kennedy School of Government, USA; the London Business School as well as the Lagos Business School (LBS).
- Sanwo-Olu is an associate member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (CIPM) and a fellow of the Nigeria Institute of Training and Development (NITAD)
- He was a renowned banker before venturing into politics. Between 1994 and 1997, he served as treasurer at former Lead Merchant Bank Plc.
- Sanwo-Olu was chairman of Baywatch Group Limited – a multifaceted company with interests in construction, property development and human capital development; First Class Group Limited, a cooling, power and maintenance solutions provider, among others.
- In 2007, Tinubu appointed Sanwo-Olu as the special adviser (corporate matters) before becoming a substantive commissioner for the establishment.
- Between 2007 and 2015, Sanwo-Olu served as Babatunde Fashola’s commissioner for establishments, training and pensions.
- Sanwo-Olu is a member of the Ikoyi Club, the Island Club, as well as the Clear Essence Health Club.
- Sanwo-Olu is currently the managing director/CEO of the Lagos State Development and Property Corporation (LSDPC).