Forty-six others remain in the hospital
The moonshine tragedy that killed dozens of people in the Indian city of Mumbai last week claimed several more lives over the weekend, with the death toll rising to 97 as of Sunday night.
Some 46 others are still undergoing treatment at various hospitals around the sprawling business hub, while police have arrested a total of seven people and seized more than 1,000 L of the illicit liquor from one of their houses, the Indian Express reported.
Two women were taken into custody on Sunday in addition to the five arrests made a week ago in response to the first 25 deaths. They face various charges pertaining to the running of drinking dens at a slum in Mumbai’s Malad area.
Dhananjay Kulkarni, Mumbai’s deputy commissioner of police (detection), told the Express that both women used to buy the alcohol from a man named Francis D’Mello — one of the initial suspects currently being interrogated about his source and supply network — before reselling it.
It was at D’Mello’s house that the police reportedly found around 1,100 L of the liquor in several barrels.
“The sheer quantity of the liquor suggests a large-scale and highly organized racket, and we are probing further,” an officer said. Read more
Follow us @sabinewsnaija