March 22, 2019

* Abducted Governor Masari’s Mother-in-Law regains freedom * Aide confirms suspected drug trafficker was on Sanwo-Olu campaign team

* Abducted Governor Masari’s Mother-in-Law regains freedom               * Aide confirms suspected drug trafficker was on Sanwo-Olu campaign team

 

SABINEWS EVENING NEWS UPDATE – MARCH 15, 2019

 

Abducted Governor Masari’s Mother-in-Law regains freedom

The abducted Governor Aminu Masari’s mother-In- law, Hajiya Hauwa Yusuf has finally been released by her abductors after 8 days in captivity. The spokesman ‎of Katsina Police command SP Gambo Isah said she was released hale and hearty and has since reunited with her family after necessary medical checkups. It could be recalled that the police said they were following on a lead and trailing a suspect in connection to the abduction. Hajiya Yusuf was kidnapped at her residence, located at Dandume crescent in Katsina Layout of the metropolis, last week Friday.

Aide confirms suspected drug trafficker was on Sanwo-Olu campaign team

The head of media committee for Babajide Sanwo-Olu Campaign Organisation, Olusesan Daini has said Funke Phillips was on the committee during the campaign. Phillips, accused by an ex-BBC Pidgin journalist Ruona Meyer of intellectual property theft, came to work for the campaign through a consultant. Sanwo-Olu, Lagos State governor-elect, was the governorship candidate All Progressives Congress in 2019 elections. Daini initially denied knowing “any Mrs Funke Phillips,”.

Aisha Buhari commiserates with families of victims of Lagos building collapse

Wife of the President, Mrs Aisha Buhari, has commiserated with the families of victims of building collapse in Itafaji, Lagos. Buhari, in a condolence message sent through her tweeter handle on Friday, prayed to God to grant the families the fortitude to bear the loss. ‘‘My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims, especially innocent children who died and some who are still trapped in the rubble of the collapsed building in Itafaji, Lagos. ‘‘I pray the state government and the rescue agencies are able to save more children,” she said. (NAN)

Governorship election: PDP raises alarm, says INEC planning to cancel results in Bauchi

The People’s Democratic Party, PDP, has cautioned the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, against cancelling the already declared results of the March 9, governorship election in 14 more local government areas of Bauchi State. Addressing a press conference on Friday in Abuja, the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Kola Ologbondiyan said any attempt by anybody to tamper with the already announced results would attract serious consequences. The PDP said such a “wicked plot cannot stand”, adding that the people of Bauchi State were ready for a firm resistance. “Our party already have full information of plots by certain known top ranking officials of INEC, who have been bribed with huge sums of money by the All Progressives Congress (APC), to widen the scope of result cancellation beyond Tafawa Balewa to 14 more Local Government Areas and hike the number of cancelled votes from 70,000 to 184, 555.

Lagos building collapse: 20 persons brought dead to hospital —Jide Idris

The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, said that 20 victims of the Ita-Faji school building that collapsed were brought in dead to the General Hospital in Lagos. Idris made the fact known during his visit to the hospital on Friday in Lagos. According to him, the bodies have been released to the families for burial. He said, however, that 45 persons survived the incident and were managed across some of the state health facilities, including the Lagos Island General Hospital, Massey Street Children’s Hospital, Onikan Health Centre and Gbagada General Hospital.

Actors Guild urges Sanwo-Olu to stick to Lagos State’s developmental master plan

The President of Directors’ Guild of Nigeria (DGN), Fred Amata, has advised the Governor-elect of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to continue with projects already in the state’s master plan. Amata told NAN in Lagos that the state has remained a good example when it comes to infrastructure development, as compared to others. “My expectation from the incoming administration is that it should continue with the infrastructural development, transportation, housing and others as contained in the master plan. “One area that particularly touches me which I will like him to look into is the area of estimated billing from energy consumed which has become a means of extorting the public,’’ he said.

Delay in minimum wage implementation can affect workers’ psyche —Don

A psychologist, Prof. Benjamin Ehigie, warned on Friday that endless delay in paying Nigerian workers the new minimum wage could make the workers become recalcitrant. Ehigie, a lecturer at the University of Ibadan, gave the warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos. He spoke against the backdrop of the endless wait by civil servants in the country to start receiving a long overdue new minimum wage being packaged by the Federal Government. Public sector workers in Nigeria have been under intense economic pressure for years, in a country where political office holders, including members of the bicameral parliament, collect some of the biggest pay cheques in the world.

Lagos begins demolition of 180 houses

The Lagos State Building Control Agency, on Friday morning, commenced the demolition of defective buildings within Lagos Island. About 180 houses will be demolished in the exercise, according to the General Manager of LASBCA, Mr. Lekan Shodeinde. Though Shodeinde had said that 20 buildings would be demolished on Friday (today) alone, the agency eventually pulled down only three buildings as of close of work on the first day of the demolition exercise (today). The demolition exercise continues, it was gathered.

Kano Police find body of kidnapped expatriate engineer

Kano State Police Command on Friday said it has found the remains of an expatriate engineer who was kidnapped while working at a construction site in Kano State three days ago. While the man, said to be a Lebanese national, was kidnapped, his driver was shot dead during the incident. Police said the expatriate’s body was found on Thursday. The Lebanese engineer, who was an employee of Triacta Construction Company, was working on the underpass bridge at Dengi Roundabout by Zoo Road when he was kidnapped on Tuesday at about 7:00am.

Injured Kalu to miss Nigeria’s next 2 matches

Bordeaux winger Samuel Kalu will miss Nigeria’s next two games due to injury, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) said on Friday.

The Super Eagles play the Seychelles in their last Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on March 22 then take on Egypt in a friendly four days later. Nigeria are top of Group E on 10 points ahead of South Africa on 9, Libya on 7 and Seychelles on 1pt, with this weekend’s match concluding the preliminary group round Both matches are due to be played in the southern city of Asaba. Team spokesman Toyin Ibitoye said youth team captain Ikouwem Udoh, 19, would replace 21-year-old Kalu, whose mother was recently kidnapped and held for a week until a ransom was paid.

Lukaku faces late fitness test for Man Utd’s FA Cup quarter-final tie at Wolves

Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku has a foot problem and faces a late fitness test ahead of Saturday’s FA Cup quarter-final clash at Wolverhampton Wanderers, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said. The in-form Belgian international, who has scored six goals in his last four matches in all competitions, joins a long list of injured players at the club. “There are so many players out… He (Lukaku) has had a sore foot this week. He’s being assessed. Hopefully he’ll get through today,” Solskjaer told a news conference on Friday. Fifth-placed Manchester United, who lost 0-2 at Arsenal in the English Premier League (EPL) last week to end Solskjaer’s unbeaten domestic run, could welcome back three players for the Molineux trip.

Kyle Walker reacts on Twitter to Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur draw

Tottenham and Manchester City will contest an all English tie in the quarter finals of the Champions League. For one City player it will be more special than most. Kyle Walker quit Tottenham to join City in 2017. He has since won one league title and is hoping to clinch a second. Walker is looking forward to facing his old side.

City have enjoyed a strong record again Spurs since Walker joined them, and won at Wembley earlier this season. The two teams are also set to play in the Premier League next month, meaning they will face off three times in 10 days. Spurs will be hoping to inflict a second Champions League quarter-final defeat on Walker’s City, after they were knocked out by Liverpool last year at the same stage.

Huawei: In case we can’t use Windows, Android, we’ve made a backup OS

Chinese tech giant Huawei has built its own operating system in case its relationship with the US sinks to the point it cannot use Windows and Android. A Huawei exec has told German news site Die Welt that it has made a backup OS for PCs and smartphones in the event that its troubles with the US government prevent it from using Windows and Android on their PCs and smartphones.   “We have prepared our own operating system. Should it ever happen that we can no longer use these systems, we would be prepared. That’s our plan B. But of course we prefer to work with the ecosystems of Google and Microsoft,” said Richard Yu, chief of Huawei’s consumer group.

Zuckerberg loses two executives ahead of planned encryption shift

Chief production officer and VP of WhatsApp depart company as it announces plans to mix the messaging services of Facebook’s apps. Two of Mark Zuckerberg’s top Facebook executives have left the company days after the CEO’s announcement to incorporate its messaging services found in its main social network and WhatsApp and Instagram into an interoperable encryption-centric message service. Chief production officer Chris Cox and VP of WhatsApp Chri Daniel’s have both announced their departures from the social networking company, but with minimal details.

A low-key Elon Musk unveils the Tesla Model Y crossover SUV

Tesla CEO Elon Musk unveiled a cheaper electric crossover, the Model Y, in a bid to regain momentum after a rough start to the year. Taking the stage at the company’s design studio in Hawthorne, California, Musk showed off a blue prototype of the mid-sized SUV, which is roughly 10 percent bigger than its best-selling sedan. Three higher-end versions of the new vehicle will start delivery in fall 2020, with a standard one available in spring 2021, priced at $39,000 and equipped with a 230-mile battery, according to the company.

Lilian Osigwe Editor

A Creative and Versatile Writer.  
Currently writes for SabiNews Media

follow me

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *