An Egyptian court on Sunday postponed for a second time its verdict in the retrial of three Al-Jazeera journalists, rescheduling it for August 29 in a move the defendants called an insult.
The court had already put off its much anticipated verdict last Thursday because the presiding judge Hassan Farid was reportedly ill.
Another judge at Sunday’s hearing said the verdict was being delayed again because other defendants in the trial could not be brought to the court room from their cells.
“The accused are not present for security reasons, so the court decided to postpone the verdict to August 29,” said judge Ahmed Yousry.
Australian Peter Greste, Canadian Mohamed Fahmy and Egyptian Baher Mohamed were jailed last year for “spreading false news” that supported the blacklisted Muslim Brotherhood during their coverage of the turmoil after the army ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013. Read more
Follow us @sabinewsnaija