SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE – JANUARY 13, 2019
Atiku: I will end insecurity in Plateau if elected President
Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the Presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), has promised to end insecurity in Plateau, if elected Nigeria’s President in the Feb. 16 general elections.
Atiku said this on Saturday, at the party’s presidential rally organised in Jos, the capital of Plateau State. He promised to unite all warring groups and restore peace to troubled areas via proper dialogue and steady engagement with those concerned.
Kwara police deny threat to Saraki’s life
Kwara state police command on Saturday described alleged threat to the life of the Senate President Bukola Saraki as untrue. The command also dismissed allegation of threat to any of Senator Saraki’s family members life as well as supporters by members of the command.
In a statement, state Commissioner of police, Mr Bashir Makama said that Senator Bukola Saraki being the number three citizen of the country is held in high esteem by the command. He added that he had also been enjoying every security privileges entitled to his office and person.
Buhari govt, worst ever, says Wike
Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, on Saturday described the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari as the worst Federal Government ever in the country’s history. Wike, who spoke during a mobilisation meeting at Unit 7, Ward 9 of Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, said Nigerians had suffered beyond measure under the Buhari administration. The governor maintained that Nigerians should not expect any good from the Federal Government which he said had been fighting everyone.
He said that the current administration had also been fighting the judiciary so that they could manipulate the forthcoming general elections.
Atiku reacts to plan to arraign Onnoghen before CCT
The Presidential Candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has warned President Muhammadu Buhari and the governing All Progressives Congress (APC) not to throw Nigeria into an avoidable crisis over what he described as their desperation to sack the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen. In a statement issued in Abuja on Saturday by Atiku’s Special Assistant on Public Communication, Mr. Phrank Shaibu, the PDP candidate said the principle of separation of powers remains sacrosanct in a democracy “irrespective of what President Buhari is being told by his starry-eyed advisers or the buttons they are pressing to forcefully remove the CJN.”
33 senators to work on 2019 budget during elections
As the National Assembly members prepare to resume from their Yuletide break on Wednesday, there are indications that only 33 senators will be available to work on the federal budget of N8.83tn for the 2019 fiscal year presented by President Muhammadu Buhari on December 19, 2018. It was learnt on Saturday that while 74 senators, who secured their parties’ tickets to contest this year’s general elections would relocate to their various constituencies to prepare for the polls, 33 senators, who lost their bid to return to the red chamber, would stay back to treat the budget.
PDP vs APC: Gov. Ortom blows hot ahead of 2019 elections
Gov. Samuel Ortom of Benue State has assured residents of the state that there would be no room for rigging and manipulation of votes in the forthcoming elections. NAN reports that Ortom gave the assurance on Saturday in Vandeikya Local Government Area (LGA) of the state. He dispelled fears that the election would be rigged, noting that the people would guard their votes jealously to forestall rigging. “We are not going to allow that to happen in Benue. We will certainly leave nothing to chance. He promised not to disappoint the people if voted back to office, stressing that he would deliver on his mandates. “I want to implore you to vote en masse for all candidates of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). Do not select any of them to vote for no matter the circumstances,” he said.
Ohanaeze, MASSOB tackle military over Operation Python Dance
The Movement for the Actualisation of Sovereign State of Biafra and Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council on Saturday cautioned the military against creating unrest in the South-East through the ongoing Operation Python Dance 111 in the zone by the Nigerian Army. In an interview with Sunday PUNCH, MASSOB alleged that the military operation was aimed at aiding the Independent National Electoral Commission to rig the February 16 presidential election in favour of President Muhammadu Buhari. Leader of MASSOB, Uchenna Madu, said the presence of soldiers had created tension in the zone. Madu said the group would not deter in their fight to actualise the Biafra dream.
Aisha Buhari disagrees with Okorocha over support for Nwosu
There was pandemonium on Saturday at Dan Anyiam Stadium, Owerri, Imo State, when supporters of the state All Progressives Congress’ governorship candidate, Senator Hope Uzodinma, clashed with those of the Action Alliance governorship candidate, Uche Nwosu. The political tension in the state was further heightened, by the disagreement between the wife of the President, Aisha Buhari, and Governor Rochas Okorocha, after the governor boasted that his son-in-law, Nwosu, would win the state governorship election and not Uzodinma. Dolapo Osinbajo, who represented Aisha at the event, however, told the crowd to vote for Buhari and the APC candidates in the forthcoming elections.
Natl Devt: South-South govs hold emergency meeting Sunday
The South-South Governor’s Forum has scheduled an emergency meeting to discuss issues affecting the country, especially the region. The meeting which is billed to hold tomorrow, Sunday, will have other matters for discussion including the alleged plot to sack the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Walter Onnoghen.
A statement by the Special Adviser, Media Relation’s to the Governor of Bayelsa State, Mr. Fidelis Soriwei, stated that the security of the Niger Delta, during and after the election as well as the issue of derivation, and recent development involving the Chief Justice of the Federation would feature for deliberation at the meeting. Expressing his opinion at the development in the Supreme Court, Governor Dickson said that while he was yet to know the full details surrounding the developments at the Supreme Court concerning the CJN, it is a grave and dangerous escalation, coming a few weeks to the general elections.
South-East soldiers, biggest casualties of Boko Haram war
The apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has accused President Muhammadu Buahri and his party, the All Progressives Congress, of deceiving Nigerians with phony promises they do not intend to fulfil. The National Publicity Secretary of the group, Uche Achi-Okpaga, said this on Friday in an interview with one of the media house. The Ohanaeze’s spokesperson therefore predicted electoral defeat for Buhari in the February 16 presidential poll, saying Nigerians, especially the Igbo, had seen the deception of the ruling party. He accused the Buhari-led administration of making attempts to decimate Igbo people in the military, saying indigenes of the South-East in the military had suffered the heaviest casualties in the war against the Boko Haram in the North-East.
Fear in Lagos community as fuel pollutes wells
Residents of the Abule Egba area of Lagos have raised the alarm over pollution of their sources of water supply by fuel that reportedly spilled from the petroleum pipeline ruptured by oil thieves on Wednesday, December 19, 2018. Our correspondent observed that wells, which were the main sources of water supply to houses on Arowolo Street, Adeyemi Close and Segun Akinola Street, among others, had been polluted by petrol after the pipeline was vandalised. Some of the wells have been sealed by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation. Our correspondent, who visited the place on Friday, observed that a red ribbon with caution inscription had been tied round the wells to prevent people from going close to them.
I am not quitting yet, says Enyeama
Former Nigeria captain, Vincent Enyeama is keen on a return to football almost two years after making his last competitive appearance for French club Lille.The 36-year old last played for Lille in April 2017 and he was released by the 2011 French champions in August 2018. “I have put the past behind me as I continue to train and hoping to make a positive return,” Enyeama told BBC Sport, denying reports he was about to quit the game.
“I’ve received some offers in Israel and Turkey. But at this stage in life I want to make family a priority when I need to make a move, because they are very settled here in France.
Nigeria Football Federation Happy with Kelechi’s Progress in Portugal
The Nigeria Football Federation is happy with the progress of Kelechi John who plays regularly in the Portuguese Liga Revalecao with Rio Ave. Technical Director of the NFF, Bitrus Bewarang told allnigeriasoccer.com in Jos that the Federation is very happy with the progress of the 20-year-old who they have been monitoring of late but has also advised that the young lad must work hard to fully break into the first team of Rio Ave. Bewarang also said the NFF are as well monitoring other Nigerian youngsters scattered all over the world as the body want the best Nigerian players to represent the country in CAF and FIFA Competition.
Chelsea players thought it was easy – Sarri
Maurizio Sarri admitted Chelsea switched off for a spell during their 2-1 win over Newcastle. The home side were cruising after Pedro’s early goal but were pegged back by Ciaran Clark’s equaliser shortly before half-time. Willian’s superb goal restored the lead in the second half and was enough to give Sarri’s side the points. The Blues boss said: “After the goal I think we thought ‘now it’s easy’, but it wasn’t. “We slept for 20, 25 minutes, so at the end of the first half we were in trouble. We need to improve in the mental reaction.”
28 tennis players arrested in match-fixing scandal
With the Australian Open set to begin on Sunday, the tennis world is now reeling from a shocking report: 28 professional tennis players, including one who participated in last year’s U.S. Open, have been arrested over their involvement in a match-fixing ring. Why it matters: A match-fixing scandal in any sport is cause for serious concern, but since this is the second time in the last 25 months that tennis is involved, it’s particularly alarming — and suggests the problem could be deep-rooted enough to persist.
Officials in Warsaw say Huawei executive, Polish security expert spied for China
Poland has arrested a director at the Chinese tech giant Huawei and one of its own former cybersecurity experts and charged them with spying for China, authorities said Friday. The development comes as the U.S. is exerting pressure on its allies not to use Huawei, the world’s biggest maker of telecommunications network equipment, over data security concerns. The two men — one a Chinese citizen who was a former envoy in Poland before moving over to a senior position at Huawei and the other a Pole who held several top government cybersecurity positions — were arrested Tuesday, according to Poland’s Internal Security Agency.
Firm to build world’s first hydrogen-electric ferry
A ferry company Norled AS and the Norwegian Public Roads Administration have signed an agreement for the construction of the world’s first hydrogen-electric ferry. The new building is expected to become operational in 2021, connecting the national road 13 between Hjelmeland – Skipavik – Nesvik in Rogaland. The zero-emission ferry will be able to carry 299 passengers and 80 cars, according to a report by the World Maritime News. Norled won the development contract in competition with Fjord 1 and Boreal. The contract includes the development, construction and operation of the hydrogen-electric ferry where at least 50 percent of the energy requirement is covered by hydrogen.
Why the FBI’s Investigation into the President was Unavoidable
The New York Times has reported that, in the wake of President Trump’s firing of FBI Director James Comey, the bureau opened a counterintelligence investigation into the president. At one level, of course, this is not surprising—John Bellinger identified Donald Trump as a potential danger to U.S. national security in 2015, and Benjamin Wittes followed up in 2016 and 2017. There is a lot of information in the public record, much of it recounted in the Times article, about the president’s unusual behavior with respect to Russia. But, of course, on another level it is terribly shocking—and just plain terrible—that the president has behaved as he has, and that the FBI is investigating him.
No Brexit would be ‘catastrophe’: May
British Prime Minister Theresa May has warned lawmakers that failure to back her plan to leave the European Union would be catastrophic for Britain, in a plea for support two days ahead of a vote in parliament that she is expected to lose. Lawmakers are set to vote on May’s Brexit deal on Tuesday, after she shelved plans for a vote in December when it became clear that not enough lawmakers from her own party or others would back the deal she agreed with Brussels.