SABINEWS EVENING NEWS UPDATE DECEMBER 19, 2018
Badeh’s killing “totally unacceptable” – Chief of Air Staff
The Chief of Air Staff, Sadique Abubakar, an air marshal, has condemned the killing on Tuesday, of former Chief of Defence Staff, Alex Badeh, saying the incident was “totally unacceptable”. He stated this at the Fourth Quarter Chief of Air Staff Conference on Wednesday in Abuja. Mr Badeh, a retired air marshal, died from gunshot injuries sustained when his vehicle was attacked while returning from his farm along Abuja-Keffi road. Mr Abubakar said the Nigeria Air Force was still in a state of shock over the death of its former chief. “We are in no doubt in the state of shock of what happened yesterday when the former CDS was killed along Keffi-Abuja road.
South African police issue arrest warrant for Grace Mugabe
South Africa has issued an arrest warrant for Zimbabwe’s former first lady Grace Mugabe in relation to an alleged assault on a woman in a hotel in Johannesburg last year. Gabriella Engels accused Mugabe of beating the “hell out” of her with an electrical extension cord in a room at the Capital 20 West hotel in Johannesburg’s Sandton district. After the alleged assault came to light in August 2017, the South African government granted Mugabe diplomatic immunity. That immunity was overturned by a court this year after Engels, a model, challenged the decision. “I can confirm that a warrant for the arrest of Grace Mugabe was issued last Thursday,” said Vishnu Naidoo, a spokesman for South Africa’s police service. He said police were seeking Interpol’s help to enforce the warrant.
Nigerians condemn lawmakers’ conduct as Buhari presents 2019 budget
Nigerians on Twitter have condemned the behaviour of lawmakers during the joint session of the National Assembly, where President Muhammadu Buhari presented the 2019 budget on Wednesday. At different times during the budget presentation, the lawmakers booed Buhari and even shouted, “It’s a lie” when he made certain claims. A section of the lawmakers had treated Buhari to a Rock Star welcome, with shouts of ‘Sai Baba,’ a form of greeting adopted by the President’s admirers. The same shout of Sai Baba and clapping prevented the leaders of the National Assembly — Senate President Bukola Saraki and House Speaker Yakubu Dogara — from responding to the President’s speech.
Dogara says 2019 poll will be referendum on insecurity, hunger
As Nigerians prepare for the 2019 elections, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, has said that the poll would be a referendum on insecurity and hunger in the country. Dogara, who spoke in Gombe during the North East zonal campaign and rally of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), urged Nigerians to do an introspection and decide if they have made progress in the last three and half years or have witnessed a decline in their living standards on a general basis.“The 2019 election is about insecurity, whether we can be secure. Look at your own lives and see if nobody loves you, advise yourself, hold a consultation with yourself, sit down and argue with yourself, ask yourself what progress you’ve made in the last three and a half years.
Court sacks Kashamu as Ogun PDP standard-bearer
The Court of Appeal in Ibadan has set aside an order by a Federal High Court in Abeokuta, directing the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to accept the list of Ogun State’s People’s Democratic Party (PDP) candidates submitted by the Chief Adebayo Dayo-led faction. In a unanimous verdict, a three-member appeal panel headed by Justice J. A. Bada held that all decisions from the October 2, 2018 ruling by Justice Abubakar Shittu were a nullity because the PDP and other defendants were not served court processes. Justice H. S. Tsammani, in a lead judgment, said service was a fundamental requirement and a condition precedent in any adjudication. She stressed that any proceeding and order made on a matter where the defendants were not served remain a nullity.
Secondus Describes Saraki, at 56, as Defender of Democracy
The National Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Uche Secondus, has described the Senate President Bukola Saraki as a foremost democrat who always stand for the rule of law. In a birthday wish to the Senate President who clocks 56 years Wedneday, Secondus said Saraki’s contributions to the deepening of democracy in the country stands him out. The chairman, in a statement by his media adviser, Mr. Ike Abonyi, wished Senator Saraki well in his current task of leading the party to victory as the Director General of the 2019 Presidential campaign. He added that Saraki’s return to where he originally belongs, the PDP, was a good political decision that shows his love for true democracy and Nigeria.
Communities seek IGP’s intervention over harassment
The people of Eliozu and Rumuosunwor-Eneka communities in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State have sought intervention of the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Ibrahim Idris, over harassment and intimidation by policemen. The traumatised people decided to petition the IGP, with a copy obtained by our reporter yesterday in Port Harcourt. While further speaking on behalf of the communities, the Palace Secretary of Eliozu, Comrade Clinton Adams, stated that the two neighbouring communities had boundary problems in time past, but the leaders raised a joint peace committee to delineate the boundary.
‘I don’t have money!’: Pochettino does not expect January signings at Spurs
Mauricio Pochettino has made it plain that he does not expect to strengthen his Tottenham squad in January because the club have no money because of the cost of their new stadium. The manager is being courted by Manchester United, who want to appoint him as the permanent successor to José Mourinho at the end of the season, while he is also of interest to Real Madrid. Both of the European superpowers would grant him lavish budgets for a different kind of project to the one he is currently involved in.
Elon Musk unveils first Los Angeles tunnel to combat city’s traffic
Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk made a brief public appearance late on Tuesday to unveil the first tunnel completed by the underground transit venture he launched two years ago as an ambitious remedy to Los Angeles’ infamously heavy traffic. But contrary to some of his own hype from several months ago, free rides were not part of the grand opening. In a 30-minute presentation carried by live webcast, Musk touted the newly finished 1.14-mile (1.83-km) tunnel segment as a breakthrough in low-cost, fast-digging technology being pioneered by his nascent tunnelling firm, the Boring Company.
China warns US against ‘weaponising’ space
China said Wednesday it opposed the “weaponisation” of space as it criticised US President Donald Trump’s orders to create a new command centre for controlling military space operations. “China has consistently proposed the peaceful usage of space, and opposes the weaponisation of space and a space arms race,” said Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying at a press briefing. “We oppose even further turning space into the new battleground,” she added.