June 21, 2018

* Benue: I’m surprised IGP Idris disobeyed my directive – Buhari (Vanguard) * Tillerson pledges US support for quick release of Dapchi, Chibok girls (ThisDay)

* Benue: I’m surprised IGP Idris disobeyed my directive – Buhari (Vanguard)                  * Tillerson pledges US support for quick release of Dapchi, Chibok girls (ThisDay)

SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE MARCH 13, 2018

 

Benue: I’m surprised IGP Idris disobeyed my directive – Buhari (Vanguard)

President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday expressed shock that Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, disobeyed his directives to stay in Benue until the blood-letting between farmers and herdsmen was resolved. The President, who also said his government is deeply worried about  incessant attacks on Benue’s rural communities and vowed to end the menace very soon, spoke at the meeting he had with leaders in the state during his assessment visit to Benue State. “I cannot overlook the killings in Benue or any other part of Nigeria. I cannot do that. I am genuinely worried about the attacks in Benue and we are doing everything to end them,” he said. He said the insecurity in some states was a major concern to his government, adding that concerted efforts are being made to restore normalcy to every part of the country. Read more

Tillerson pledges US support for quick release of Dapchi, Chibok girls (ThisDay)

The United States Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, arrived Abuja, Nigeria’s capital Monday, where he pledged the support of the U.S. in securing the quick release of the Dapchi and remaining Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram terrorists and expressed hope that a deal for their release would be struck soon. Tillerson, who made the pledge while responding to questions from journalists at the State House, Abuja, after holding a closed-door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, said the U.S. would be involved in efforts for the release of the Dapchi girls the same way it had been part of the negotiations for the release of some of the Chibok girls. Read more

Banks have failed Nigeria –Osinbajo (SUN)

The Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, on Monday decried the low impact of commercial banks on the citizenry with no fewer than 40 per cent of the people under-banked. He said this in a remark at the public presentation and launching of the book “Banking Reform in Nigeria: the Law, the Prospects and the Challenges’’ written by a doctor of Law, former lecturer in the University of Ife and a member House of Representive,  Bode Ayorinde in Abuja. “It is perhaps accurate to say that for most Nigerians, banks have not really significantly impacted their lives or livelihoods. Read more

Ekiti guber: I’ve no pact with Ojudu, declares Bamidele (SUN)

Michael Opeyemi Bamidele, (MOB) was a member of the seventh House of representatives from Iyin- Ekiti,  in Ekiti central Senatorial district of Ekiti State. He is a lawyer of note and an ex- commissioner in Lagos State.  The state was agog last Wednesday when he formally made known his intention to run for the governorship of the state. He told party executives of the All Progressives Congress ( APC) at the APC office in Ajilosun area  of the state capital, Ado Ekiti, that he would never let the party down should the party decides to support him. Read more

Why I want to go to the House of Reps —Princess Aderonke Adedoja (Tribune)

You are aspiring to contest for a seat in the House of Representatives in the 2019 elections. What informed your decision to go into politics?

Well, there are several factors: I will say the first motivation was from my late, Alhaji Bola Adedoja, a former president of the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ). When he was alive, he always admonished me to be of service to my people. Basically, as a young student in the secondary school, he would tell me that in whatever I do and wherever I find myself, he will always tell me to make sure that I serve the people. Read more

2019: Nigeria’ll fare better with PDP –Idagbo (SUN)

Legor Idagbo, Deputy Legislative Budget Committee Chairman in the House of Representatives has said that with the All Progressives Congress (APC) three years in office so far without the promised change, Nigeria will fare better with PDP in power, come next year. On the Legislature-Executive feud, Idagbo, who represents Obanliku/Obudu/Bekwarra federal constituency, said they are not in any way antagonising the presidency as most Nigerians allege, but that the system provides for checks and balances which cannot allow the executive to work as if they are on their own. Read more

NEITI: NNPC yet to explain missing billions (ThisDay)

The Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI), the agency tasked with cleaning up Nigeria’s murky oil industry, has said even though financial accountability has improved, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) still has not explained billions of dollars of missing revenue. While energy producers have cooperated and complied with requirements to publish payments, NEITI has struggled with the state-owned oil firm, Waziri Adio, executive secretary of the agency, said in a recent interview with Bloomberg. Read more

Is NNPC’s claim of subsidy payment justified? (Punch)

Our position from the beginning has been very clear. If we continue this petrol import regime, we will continue to face this type of situation, given that we do not have control over global crude oil prices and the volatility of the exchange rate. These two issues will continue to create situations like this. However, we take a position that government’s decision to abolish the subsidy regime was a wrong policy and that is what we are seeing now. If NNPC claims that it is spending huge amounts of money on subsidy, it is not in a transparent way. Read more

VAIDS: How data mining drives tax compliance (SUN)

As the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) prepares to wind down its tax amnesty programme, the Voluntary Asset and Income Declaration Scheme (VAIDS), its data mining component, has been considered the most effective tool to whip tax dodgers into line. Just five months into the nine-month schedule, the scheme was said to have yielded close to N17 billion then. Thanks to “the inter-agency cooperation, which provided information from Bank Verification Number (BVN), Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU), state Land Registries, FIRS, the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS), National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) and the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), among others, to create an accurate financial profile of Nigeria’s taxpayers,” says Kemi Adeosun, the Finance Minister. Read more

Land Use Charge: Lagos to address concerns of residents this week (ThisDay)

Amid the sustained public objection to the enforcement of the recently enacted Land Use Charge (LUC) Law, the Lagos State Government Monday said that it would ameliorate the concerns of stakeholders in the state, mainly business executives and captains of industries, this week. Since the state government started issuing new LUC notices to residents in Lagos, there has been a massive outcry over the astronomical increment in the charge, especially among residents in highbrow areas of the state who are the worst hit. Read more

Mr. Ibu tasks Nigerian Film Corporation on viable Nollywood (Vanguard)

Nollywood actor John Okafor, aka Mr Ibu, has urged the Nigerian Film Corporation (NFC), to live up to its mission statement of developing an industry that is globally competitive. NFC, established in 1979, is a parastatal of the Federal Government of Nigeria under the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture. The Decree establishing it empowers the Corporation to lay a solid foundation for the development of a viable and sustainable Film industry and Cinema culture in Nigeria. The Corporation is therefore charged with the responsibility of planning, promoting and organising an integrated and efficient development of the Nigerian Film Industry. Read more

Ibadan shooting: Army probes killing of 30-year-old man (Nation)

The Nigerian Army has waded into the and killing of a 30-year-old man, Kehinde Adeleke, following an argument between him and another man at the car park of Trans Amusement Park in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital. The 2 Division of the Army, whose men were accused of killing the man at the amusement car park, has begun an investigation into the killing, it was learnt yesterday. The General Officer Commanding (GOC), Maj.-Gen. Chukwudili Azinta, has reportedly ordered an investigation into the allegation against his men in the security outfit of the Oyo State government, code-named Operation Burst. Read more

Police foil robbery attack, Kill 2 in FCT (Leadership)

The Police Command in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on Monday foiled an armed robbery attack at Sauka Federal Housing Estate, Lugbe Extension of the territory and killed two suspects. The command’s Spokesman, DSP Anjuguri Manzah, in a statement, said that the operation followed a distress call on March 10 that some armed robbers were robbing the residents of the estate. Manzah said that on sighting operatives from the Lugbe Division, the suspects opened fire on them. He said that the exchange of gunfire resulted in the killing of two suspects by the gallant policemen, while others escaped with gunshot wounds. Read more

Eagles must not fail in Russia, Wike tells NFF (Punch)

Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike has told the Nigeria Football Federation that Nigerians will not accept failure at the  2018 World Cup in Russia, urging the NFF to ensure that the Super Eagles are adequately prepared for the competition. Speaking when the NFF President, Mr. Amaju Pinnick, visited him at Government House in Port Harcourt on Monday,  Wike urged the NFF to work in unity for the development of football in the country. The governor said, “If you fail to advance beyond the group stage, don’t bother to return. Find excuses to stay in Russia. Nigerians expect the best from the Super Eagles. That is why the NFF must intensify preparations. Read more

Why I left Alampasu, Ajiboye out of friendlies – Rohr (Punch)

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr believes that it was a ‘logical’ decision to leave Dele Ajiboye out of his latest Super Eagles squad despite his heroics during the African Nations Championship, ESPN reports. Goalkeeping remains a problematic position for the national side following the retirement of Vincent Enyeama and Carl Ikeme’s leukaemia diagnosis. However, despite demonstrating his quality with a heroic display during the Eagles’ 1-0 CHAN semi-final victory over Sudan, Ajiboye was overlooked for Nigeria’s squad ahead of their upcoming friendlies against Poland and Serbia. Read more

Amazons host Robo in NWFL opener (Punch)

The  2017/2018 Nigeria Women’s Football League kicks off on April 7 with   holders Nasarawa  Amazons facing  Robo Queens in the star match at  the  Lafia Stadium in Lafia,  Nasarawa State. The Amazons narrowly missed the double and first silverware of the  year when they lost  4-3 in a  penalty  shootout against   their bitter  rivals and Aiteo Cup champions  Rivers Angels in the maiden  NWFL Champions Shield at the Agege Stadium in Lagos on March 4. Read more

Athletes set for Commonwealth Games (Punch)

The sports ministry  on Monday   said the first batch of the athletes for  the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games  would depart the country for Brisbane in Australia on March 23 ahead of the competition which starts on April 4. The General Team Manager Tayo Oreweme said an advance party and the ministry would leave on Sunday. “Federations whose athletes are competing at the Games will round off their pre-games training and proceed to Brisbane on March 23,”Oreweme was quoted  as saying in a statement by Nneka Anibeze, media aide to sports minister Solomon Dalung. Read more

Who has played the most for Brazil under Tite (Goal)

On Monday Brazil coach Tite named his squad to face Russia and Germany in March’s Brasil Global Tour double-header. The Selecao meet World Cup hosts Russia in Moscow on March 23 before meeting Germany in Berlin on March 27. Below, Brasil Global Tour takes a closer look at the 25 players called up for what will be coach Tite’s final matches prior to announcing the 23 that will go to the World Cup. Read more

Jose Mourinho already has a transfer shortlist, wants three signings (Thefaithful mufc)

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho is already planning for the summer with the club in need of reinforcements in the defensive side of their game. The 55-year-old is reportedly keen on pursuing a new centre-back, left-back and midfielder during the next transfer window. According to The Mirror, Mourinho has underlined the need for three individual players as he aims to close the gap between United and arch-rivals Manchester City in the Premier League. As per the report, the Red Devils are likely to pursue a new holding midfielder during the summer, considering the retirement of Michael Carrick which is expected to coincide with Marouane Fellaini’s exit on a free transfer. Read more

Manchester United captain Michael Carrick announces retirement, eyes coaching role at Old Trafford (Newshub)

Manchester United captain Michael Carrick has announced his intention to retire at the end of the season and join Jose Mourinho’s coaching staff. The 36-year-old is the longest-serving player at Old Trafford, having joined from Tottenham in 2006 and gone on to win the Champions League and five Premier League titles, among many other trophies. Carrick, capped 34 times by England, has looked likely to leave United in recent summers only to pen extensions at a club that rewarded his fine service with a testimonial last year. Read more

Footage claims to show pilots’ encounter with UFO (Telegraph)

Footage claims to show an encounter between US fighter jet pilots and an unidentified aircraft. It was released by to The Stars Academy of Art and Science, a research organisation founded in October 2017 by Luis Elizondo to conduct research into “exotic science and technologies.” The recording, from 2015, was made aboard a Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet fighter jet which was flying over the US east coast. Read more

Russia spy attack: US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says nerve agent ‘clearly’ came from Russia (Independent)

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has said the nerve agent used to poison a Russian ex-spy living in the UK “clearly” came from Russia, and promised the attack would trigger a response. Mr Tillerson said he did not know whether the Russian government had knowledge of the poisoning, which left former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in critical condition earlier this month. But he said the poison used is known to the US, and does not exist anywhere outside Russia. The substance, he added, is “only in the hands of a very, very limited number of parties”. Read more

Russia investigation: Republicans on House Intelligence Committee shut down probe into 2016 election (Independent)

Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee have voted to shut down the group’s bipartisan investigation into possible Trump campaign collusion with Russia, saying they found no evidence that Donald Trump or his team conspired with the foreign country. Republicans on the committee said they had already drafted a 150-page report on their findings, which they would deliver to Democrats on Tuesday. “We found no evidence of any collusion of anything people were actually doing other than taking a meeting they shouldn’t have taken or just inadvertently being in the same building,” Representative Mike Conaway told CNN, announcing the end of the investigation. Read more

Myanmar: UN blames Facebook for spreading hatred of Rohingya (Guardian)

Facebook has been blamed by UN investigators for playing a leading role in possible genocide in Myanmar by spreading hate speech. Facebook had no immediate comment on the criticism on Monday, although in the past the company has said that it was working to remove hate speech in Myanmar and ban the people spreading it. More than 650,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled Myanmar’s Rakhine state into Bangladesh since insurgent attacks sparked a security crackdown last August. Many have provided harrowing testimonies of murders and rapes by Myanmar security forces. Read more

Tracing sickle cell back to one child, 7,300 years ago (BBC)

New research suggests that the history of sickle-cell disease goes back to a mutation in just one person, a development researchers hope will make treatment less complicated for the many people who suffer from this painful illness. So how have they traced it and why does it matter? The story of sickle-cell disease is, first and foremost, a study in how a good thing can come with bad consequences. Once upon a time in what is now the Sahara desert, a child was born with heightened immunity to malaria – important because at the time, this part of Africa was wet and rainy and covered with forest. Read more

 

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *