SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE OCTOBER 18, 2018
Buhari Vs Atiku: US Has No Preferred Candidate
The United States of America (USA) has said that it has no preferred candidate in the forthcoming general elections in Nigeria in February 2019. Mr Phillip Franz, a political officer in the US embassy in Nigeria, stated this during a visit to Katsina State Government House on Wednesday in Katsina. The presidential election that will hold first, is seen as a two-horse race between incumbent Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress and Alhaji Atiku Abubakar of the opposition People’s Democratic Party.
EFCC Obtains Court Order to Detain Fayose For 2 Weeks …Ex-Gov To Sue Anti-Graft Agency
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has obtained a remand order from a Federal Capital Territory High Court to keep former Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State for two weeks. The remand order, it was learnt, is subject to renewal which implies that Fayose could spend longer than two weeks in custody. A reliable source said, “We have obtained a court order to hold Fayose for at least two weeks pending investigation. He could be released earlier or later than two weeks depending on the outcome of investigation.” Fayose is under probe for allegedly receiving N1.3bn from the Office of the National Security Adviser through a former Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro, during the build-up to the 2014 governorship election in Ekiti State.
I Move, My Property Move – Aisha Alhassan
The former minister of women affairs and social development, Aisha Alhassan has noted that it was not out of place if her loyalists cleared the property she donated to Taraba APC If she was no longer in the party. Alhassan who last month decamped to United Democratic Party, UDP said she never ordered the removal of the donated items, but however, gave the nod when her supporters insisted According to her “I did not even give the directive but when they called and told me that was what they wanted to do, I gave them the go ahead.
Obasanjo/Atiku: Catholic Secretariat Says Kukah’s Reconciliatory Effort Hijacked, Politicised
The Catholic Secretariat of Nigeria on Wednesday described as mischievous demands by the Buhari Media Organisation that the Catholic Archbishop of Sokoto Diocese, Rev. Fr. Mathew Hassan Kukah, should be withdrawn as Convener of the National Peace Committee. The organisation said Kukah was needed to bridge the animosity between ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo and his former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, and reconcile them in the national interest, adding, however, that the effort was hijacked and politicised
2019: Maintain Status Quo In Delta, Court Tells APC NWC
A Federal High Court sitting in Asaba, Delta State, Wednesday ordered the National Working Committee, NWC of the All Progressives Congress, APC to maintain status quo pending the determination of the suit brought before it by the Chief Cyril Ogodo led faction of the party in the State. The presiding judge, Justice Toyin Adegoke adjourned the matter till 1st and 2nd of November, 2018. The Chief Cyril Ogodo led State Executive had filed a suit asking the court to restrain APC, Adams Oshiomhole and its agents from submitting the list of candidates from the Prophet Jones Erue faction to INEC.
Price Losses Drag Market Capitalisation Down By N104b
Following price losses suffered by virtually all the blue-chip stocks, transactions on the trading floor of the Nigeria Stock Exchange closed on a decline yesterday, as investors’ wealth plunged by N104 billion. Specifically, at the close of trading yesterday NSE-ASI was down by 284.83 absolute points, representing a dip of 0.87 per cent to close at 32,437.35 points. Similarly, the market capitalisation decreased by N104 billion to close at N11.842 trillion. The downturn was impacted by losses recorded in medium and large capitalised stocks, amongst which are; Seplat Petroleum Development Company, Dangote Cement, Chemical & Allied Products (CAP), UAC of Nigeria and Glaxosmithkline Consumer Nigeria.Analysts at Afrinvest Limited said that “although sentiments in the market remain soft, we believe it presents an entry opportunity for long term investors to position in fundamentally sound stocks. Nonetheless, we maintain a bearish outlook for the market in the near term.”
CONFED CUP: Enyimba Players Cry Out For Unpaid Bonuses
Enyimba players have cried out to Abia State governor, Okezie Ikpeazu to settle their outstanding bonuses before they hit Rabat, Morocco for the crucial semifinal return leg clash against RAJA next week. Enyimba go into the game with a 0-1 deficit from the Aba first leg, but the players are confident that they can turn the table if well motivated. News coming out of the club’s camp indicate that the players and their technical crew are dying in silence as they are owed series of match bonuses.
Okala Excited By Emerging Super Eagles
Former Green Eagles goalkeeper, Emmanuel Okala says he is satisfied with the performance of the Super Eagles in their back-to-back African Nations Cup qualifier against Libya on Tuesday, adding that the shape of the team has raised hopes of bright future for the side. Speaking with The Guardian yesterday, Okala, a member of the 1980 Green Eagles winning squad, commended the efforts of the players and coaching crew for their performance, saying that the players actually worked hard for the victories.
Rohr Happy After Difficult Victory Over Libya
Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has praised the effort and quality of his young team after they secured a vital 3-2 road win against Libya in Sfax on Tuesday, thus taking a step closer towards booking their spot at the Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon next year. Speaking with reporters after the encounter, Rohr suggested he was satisfied with the team’s performance, despite needing a late winner, in difficult conditions. The German said, “Today (Tuesday) the other team played with more caution at the back. They were aware of our threat on the counter which didn’t allow for them to give us so much space to exploit.
To Have The Chance To Come Back To Monaco Is Incredible – Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry hopes his illustrious playing days will help underpin a successful career in management as he embarks on his first top job in club football at Monaco. The 41-year-old French World Cup winner, who had been working as an assistant to Belgium coach Roberto Martinez since 2016, returned to the club where he began his professional career after replacing Leonardo Jardim. Henry scored a record 51 goals in 123 appearances for France, winning not only the 1998 World Cup but also Euro 2000, while starring for almost a decade at Arsenal before claiming the treble with Barcelona in 2009.
Kobe Bryant Dismay After Removal From Film Jury
Former NBA star turned Oscar-winning filmmaker Kobe Bryant expressed disappointment on Wednesday after being removed from the jury of an animation film festival because of his 2003 rape case. Kobe Bryant, the Los Angeles Lakers icon who won an Academy Award this year for his animated short film “Dear Basketball”, was dumped from the Animation Is Film Festival after an online petition protesting his involvement.
US Sanctions Show Disregard For Human Rights Of All Iranians
The United States’ latest economic sanctions against Iran display a disregard for the human rights of all Iranians, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Wednesday, Reuters reports. The US Treasury on Tuesday sanctioned two Iranian banks, and a handful of companies it says are linked to Iran’s Basij militia. “Latest US sanctions violate 2 ICJ orders: to not impede humanitarian trade & to not aggravate the dispute. Utter disregard for rule of law & human rights of an entire people. US outlaw regime’s hostility toward Iranians heightened by addiction to sanctions,” Zarif said in a Twitter post. By ICJ, Zarif was referring to the International Court of Justice.
Fujimori’s Former Minister Of Economy, Dead At 68
Carlos Boloña, who served as disgraced former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori’s head Economic Minister, has died. The Peruvian, who graduated with a PHD from Oxford University, was 68. At this time, no cause of death has been announced, although it’s expected that his relatives will make an announcement later in the week. Boloña represented Fujimori’s regime twice; initially from 1991 to 1993, and again in 2000. He previously worked as the Foreign Trade Affairs Director between 1975 and 1978.
#Metoo Personal For ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ Costume Designer
From the United States to Argentina, by way of Ireland and Poland, the red habit and white bonnet synonymous with “The Handmaid’s Tale” have become a powerful symbol of the #MeToo movement. Yet its potency has come as a shock to 54-year-old costume designer Ane Crabtree, the creator of the now iconic outfit for the runaway-hit television series based on the dystopian 1985 novel by Margaret Atwood. “It’s a very big thing. It’s grown bigger than the purpose I designed it for,” Crabtree told AFP during a recent visit to New York to be a judge at Comic Con.