May 26, 2018

Burundi to pull out of International Criminal Court

Burundi to pull out of International Criminal Court

Burundi’s government has said the country intends to pull out of the International Criminal Court (ICC). The cabinet announcement comes six months after the court’s prosecutor said she would investigate ongoing violence in the country.

“We are ready to face the consequences of withdrawal,” Vice-President Gaston Sindimwo said. Political turmoil began in April 2015 after President Pierre Nkurunzinza began his bid for a third term. Since then more than 400 people have been killed in unrest and more than 200,000 have fled their homes. Read more

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *