* Day of decision as Ekiti elects new governor (Nation) * Buhari didn’t meet Bakare, Adeosun, says Presidency (Nation)

* Day of decision as Ekiti elects new governor (Nation)       * Buhari didn’t meet Bakare, Adeosun, says Presidency (Nation)

SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE JULY 14, 2018

 

Day of decision as Ekiti elects new governor (Nation)

Ekiti State is in the grip of tension and anxiety as eligible voters troop out to the polling booths today to elect a new governor to lead the state for the next four years. Voting will commence from 8 am, all things being equal. Thirty five candidates have been cleared by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to contest the coveted governorship seat. Governor Ayo Fayose, who is constitutionally barred from seeking another term, having taken the oath of office at two different times, is expected to leave office on October 15. Fayose, who won the last governorship election held on June 21, 2014, is backing his deputy, Prof. Kolapo Olusola, to succeed him in office. Olusola, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, is facing a stiff challenge from the immediate past governor of the state, Dr. Kayode Fayemi of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who lost the 2014 contest to Fayose.  Read more

Buhari didn’t meet Bakare, Adeosun, says Presidency (Nation)

The Presidency yesterday night denied the stories claiming that  Pastor Tunde Bakare of Latter Rain Assembly and Minister of Finance, Mrs Kemi Adeosun, met together with President Muhammadu Buhari at State House, Abuja. According to a statement by the Special Adviser on Media and publicity, Femi Adesina, the stories are far from the truth. On arrival at the State House after the jumaat prayer, Bakare and Adeosun had walked together moving towards the President’s office. But the statement said that the Minister was at the Presidential Villa in connection with the Annual General Meeting and 25th Anniversary Celebration of African Export-Import Bank (AFREXIMBANK) holding Saturday in Abuja, which would be graced by President Buhari.  Read more

Ekiti governorship election: 34 candidates jostle for 667,270 votes (Punch)

Thirty-four candidates from various political parties will on Saturday (today) contest for the Ekiti State governorship election. There had been tension and apprehension during the electioneering, especially with the deployment of more than 30,000 security men by the police and other security agencies in the state for the poll. According to records by the Independent National Electoral Commission, in the 16 council areas of the state, there are 177 registration areas; 2,195 polling units; and 256 polling points, with 913,334 registered voters. Read more

APC unfazed, not in Coalition with any party (Vanguard)

Earlier in the week, the People’s Democratic Party PDP went into a coalition with the Reformed All Progressives Congress R-APC, a splinter group within the ruling APC, along with 38 other political parties, a development that has seen few other parties led by the People’s Democratic Movement PDM forming themselves into a  Coalition for Progressives Political Parties CPPP and consequently  aligning with the ruling party. At a news conference Tuesday in Abuja, national chairman of the PDM, Alhaji Bashir Yusuf Ibrahim, said the CPPP was formed in the lead up to the 2015 general elections to support Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, but has now been resurrected to counter what he described as the “orchestrated PDP coalition” against the APC administration. Read more

PDP won’t be intimidated —Party chair Secondus (Nation)

The National Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus, yesterday boasted that the party and its governorship candidate, Prof. Kolapo Olusola, would win the Saturday governorship election in Ekiti State. Secondus alleged that there were plans by the All Progressives Congress (APC) controlled federal government to take Ekiti State by force, but said no amount of intimidation can subvert the will of the people. The PDP national chairman made this declaration in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, when he and the PDP Board of trustee Chairman, Senator Walid Jubrin; Chief Bode George; former Senate President, Adolphus Wabara, among other national leaders of the party, stormed Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, ahead of today’s meeting with former President Olusegun Obasanjo, whom he described as a “warrior, hero and winner.” Read more

I’m worried about youth anger, frustration — Obasanjo (Nation)

Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo yesterday in Abuja said he was worried about youth anger in Nigeria and other African countries. Chief Obasanjo was the main speaker at a breakout session at the ongoing 25th Anniversary and Annual General Meeting of the Afreximbank. The former President who spoke to the question of “Are African Development Finance Institutions living up to the visions of the founding fathers?” said he was worried about youth anger. According to him, “I am a bit worried.  I am worried because whatever we may think about our problems, my worry is about the youth anger and frustration going into explosion in any of the countries of Africa.” Read more

Ekiti election: Emmanuel, CDHR, others condemn alleged police attack on Fayose (Punch)

Akwa Ibom State Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel; the Committee for the Defence of Human Rights; and the Campaign for Democracy, among others, have condemned the alleged police attack on the Ekiti State Governor, Mr. Ayo Fayose. In a statement, Emmanuel said such action portended grave danger for the sustenance of democracy in the country. Fayose had on Wednesday claimed he was brutalised by policemen who allegedly stormed the main entrance to the Ekiti State Government House to stop a rally by the People’s Democratic Party. Residents said gunshots were fired at the main entrance to the Government House, while tear gas canisters were reportedly shot to disperse the crowd at the rally. Read more

We’re still in APC but may defect soon, say Shehu Sani, Hunkuyi (Punch)

The two All Progressives Congress senators from Kaduna State, Suleiman Hunkuyi (Kaduna-North) and Shehu Sani (Kaduna-Central), have said that they are still in the ruling party but will dump it soon. Hunkuyi and Sani, who belong to the breakaway faction of the APC named ‘Reformed APC,’ said they would notify the public about their defection. There were reports on Friday that the two lawmakers, who were leading a faction of the APC in Kaduna, had dumped the party but had yet to join any other. Denying the reports in a telephone conversation with our correspondent, Hunkuyi said, “I have not left yet, but I will leave.” Read more

PDP’s candidate, media aide lied against me —Rivers F-SARS Commander (Nation)

The Rivers State Commander of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (F-SARS), Akin Fakorede, an indigene of Ekiti State, has said that the governorship candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in today’s governorship election in Ekiti State, Prof. Kolapo Olusola, and his media aide, Lere Olayinka, lied against him in respect of the election. Fakorede, a lawyer and Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), told our reporter in his office in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital yesterday, that he was surprised by what he termed the baseless, senseless, frivolous and spurious allegations levelled against him by Olusola and his media aide. Read more

There is too much lawlessness in Nigeria –Charly Boy (Punch)

Veteran entertainer, Charles Oputa popularly known as Charly Boy, has said that the level of lawlessness in Nigeria is disturbing. Speaking to Saturday Beats on Friday ahead of the governorship election in Ekiti where scenes of violence have attracted global attention, the Area Fada as he is fondly referred to by many for often speaking out for oppressed persons and groups, said that until citizens change their attitudes, things might not improve in Nigeria. He said, “There seems to be an obnoxious lawlessness even from those who parade themselves as leaders, adapting to a different rule of play as against what is constitutionally right. Read more

Death of female Corp member: Group urges Police to investigate Garki hospital (Vanguard)

Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants, otherwise known as CURE-Nigeria, has appealed to the Police to investigate the veracity of the allegation that General Hospital, Garki, refused to treat a deceased female Corps member, Linda Igwetu, who recently died of police gunshot wound. In a petition to the FCT Police Command, made available to Saturday Vanguard yesterday, the Country Director of CURE-Nigeria, Sylvester Uhaa who commended the Police for the prompt dismissal of the personnel involved in the dastardly act urged the force  further  investigate the conduct of the hospital where the victim died. The petition read in part, “CURE-Nigeria notes with great concern your silence over the allegations that General Hospital, Garki, where the deceased was taken to, refused to treat her until a police report was provided, leading to her death. Read more

Bus conductors back Buhari’s re-election (Nation)

Bus Conductors Association of Nigeria (BCAN) has backed the re-election bid of President Mohammadu Buhari in 2019. Speaking during a rally organised by the association penultimate Thursday, the National Liaison Officer of BCAN, Prince Isreal Adeshola said: “In the history of mankind, it is true that individuals do influence history and encourage positive transformation, when one influences a change, we should encourage such person to do more and be able to give such great accolades. One of such change and progressive agent is no other than our amiable President Muhammadu Buhari, against all odds, has positioned Nigeria on the path of progressive development.’’ Read more

Osinbajo, Wabote Woo US Investors for Nigerian Oil Sector (Guardian)

Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo and Executive Secretary of the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB), Simbi Wabote have urged United States based Information Communication Technology (ICT) companies to invest in the Nigerian oil and gas sector. A statement by the supervisor, Media and Publicity of NCDMB, Obinna Ezeobi, yesterday quoted the duo as making the call at the Silicon Valley, California, USA while canvassing for foreign direct investment in the Nigeria to over 25 key international players in the ICT industry. Ezeobi explained that the main objective of the visit was to promote the ample investment opportunities in the country’s key sectors like ICT, Oil and Gas, Power, Agriculture, Solid Minerals amongst other key sectors. The delegation also highlighted Nigeria’s market size, entrepreneurial spirit, vibrant young demography, and fiscal incentives for pioneer investments. Read more

FG to ban importation of Haulage Vehicles above 10 years by 2020, plus annual certification (ThisDay)

The federal government has instituted a mandatory certification of all haulage vehicles to be carried out twice in twelve calendar months. Also, the importation of haulage vehicles exceeding 10 years from date of manufacture would be stopped with effect from 01/01/2020. These are some of the outcomes of a ‘Stakeholders’ Forum for Haulage Operators in Nigeria’, which was held at the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in Abuja, recently. The forum was convened after the recent Road Traffic Crash (RTC) on Otedola Bridge on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway where over 55 vehicles were burnt with multiple fatalities recorded. Read more

How I escaped being slaughtered by ritual killers by a whisker-17-yr-old Bauchi pupil (Nation)

A 17 year-old Secondary Student in Bauchi, Salihu Yahaya, yesterday  narrated how he narrowly escaped the ‘slaughter slab’ of  alleged ritual killers in Kano. Speaking to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Bauchi, the student said three weeks after the gory incident, he was yet to recover from the trauma. According to him, after he was captured and taken to an undisclosed location, he and 18 other victims were dressed in red cloth and numbered, just as the first 16 people were slaughtered in his presence. “I was in front of our house in Bauchi at about 12 noon on June 23rd when some two persons in a car stopped and enquired about a bakery very close to our house. Read more

England lacked respect, says Croatia coach (Punch)

Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic admits his team were spurred on by what they saw as a lack of respect towards them in the English media as they won 2-1 in Wednesday’s World Cup semi-final. “We always respect our opponents and expect them to respect us back,” Dalic told reporters in Moscow on Thursday. “Maybe England or the English media did not show enough respect to the Croatian national team, which we deserved, especially when you look at the clubs our players play for. “This may have given us extra motivation, but this is football, you have to be dignified in victory and in defeat.” Read more

Nigeria faces ban as FIFA rejects Giwa (Punch)

Nigeria faces a potential FIFA ban after the body on Friday said they would  not accept Chris Giwa as  Nigeria Football Federation president. Sports minister Solomon Dalung recently  directed the NFF to  comply with the  apex court judgment  on April 27 restoring  the orders of the Federal High Court setting aside the purported NFF election  on September 30, 2014, which brought in  Amaju Pinnick as the president of the federation. Giwa, who won in  a parallel  NFF  poll on August 26, 2014,  has since assumed control of the national football house, with moves by Pinnick — who is allegedly targeting a reelection — to stop him suffering a setback in court last week. Read more

Stranded Nigerian fans storm embassy (Punch)

A combination of strict asylum policy for migrants  and  excruciating  hardship have forced a number of Nigerians trafficked to Russia  as Super Eagles fans  to storm the Nigerian Embassy in Moscow to seek help to return home. Our correspondent learnt they were made to part with N350,000 each to enable them to travel to the transcontinental country  by some agents using the visa-free  FAN ID  for the 2018 World Cup. It was learnt that while some of them were  told that there are  job opportunities for Africans  in Russia, others were told that they could cross the borders into Poland and Finland on arrival  in the country to seek asylum. Read more

Fraudsters scam Nigerians with passes (Punch)

Fraudsters have tricked scores of Nigerians by selling them football World Cup fan passes to travel to Russia, leaving many stranded and penniless, victims and anti-trafficking campaigners say. Some Nigerians told AFP they used the official Fan IDs to come to Russia with the promise of finding work or even playing professional football themselves. Others said they came to watch World Cup matches but got stranded when their return plane tickets were cancelled by bogus travel agencies that booked them. Read more

Nadal-Djokovic match Wimbledon suspended, sparking boos from fans (Canoe)

It was the kind of tennis that Wimbledon’s Centre Court crowd would gladly have watched all night long. The show being put on by Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal was so good it could have been an instant classic had they been able to finish their semifinal before the tournament’s 11 p.m. curfew. Instead, the two players — and a disappointed audience — were sent home after the third set on Friday with Djokovic leading 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (9) following a tense tiebreaker that had more entertaining rallies than some entire matches. Read more

Serena’s mid-match elevation was masterful in the Wimbledon semifinals (Tennis)

Great players tend to love Grand Slam semifinals.

Roger Federer is 11-1 in semis at Wimbledon, and Rafael Nadal is 11-0 in them at Roland Garros. On Centre Court, Serena Williams has been just as dominant in the final four. Coming into her match with Julia Goerges today, she hadn’t lost a Wimbledon semifinal since she went out to her sister Venus 18 years ago, when she was a teenager. Serena and Federer and Nadal are also excellent in Slam finals, of course, but there’s a little less pressure at the semifinal stage, which allows them to play a little more freely—and brilliantly. In 2016, Serena ran roughshod over Elena Vesnina, 6-2, 6-0, in the Wimbledon semis, before edging Angelique Kerber in a tight two-set final. Read more

Croatia will not be disqualified from the World Cup despite what some England fans think – and this is why (Mirror)

Croatia will not be disqualified from the World Cup, despite calls to have them removed from the final. England were eliminated from the competition after bowing out in the semi-finals to the Balkan nation on Wednesday night. Mario Mandzukic’s goal in extra-time condemned England to their fate and sent Croatia into their first-ever showpiece final, where they will face France. However since the semi-final, there has been continual calls for Croatia to be thrown out of the competition. In fact, “World Cup Croatia disqualified” has become one of the most searched for terms in Google from users in the United Kingdom since the end of the game. Read more

Putin Shows Trump ‘Pee Tape’ in ‘Our Cartoon President’ Season 2 Premiere (DailyBeast)

The Stephen Colbert-produced Our Cartoon President returns for its second season this Sunday night on Showtime—with one hell of a lead-in from Sacha Baron Cohen’s Who Is America? And we have the opening scene. Before the real Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin sit down for their one-on-one summit in Helsinki next Tuesday, their cartoon counterparts come face-to-face in this exclusive clip that was completed late enough to work in a few jokes about Supreme Court pick Brett Kavanaugh. Trump begins the meeting by trying to get Putin to sign a statement declaring them “best friends”—just as the real Trump once fantasized in a 2013 tweet. But before they get to that, Putin wants to “catch up” with some “state secrets.” Read more

4 intriguing lines in Mueller indictment (BBC)

In painstaking detail, Robert Mueller’s special counsel team laid out what it alleges was a concerted effort by the Russian military to hack the Democratic National Committee and senior-level Clinton campaign officials and disseminate private documents in order to disrupt and influence the 2016 US presidential election. The Russians also attempted to infiltrate local election systems and software, although Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein says that there is no evidence that they “altered the vote count or changed any election result”. The Trump White House has picked up on this line, issuing a statement reiterating that there have been no allegations of “knowing involvement by anyone on the campaign” or that the hacking “affected the election result”. Read more

 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *