An outbreak of Ebola in West Africa has been largely contained in Senegal and Nigeria, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday, but the disease is still spreading elsewhere and has now killed over 2,811 people in the region.
Senegal and Nigeria, the most recent of five nations to record cases of Ebola, implemented strict measures to isolate the ill and track down further possible cases — steps that Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone have failed to impose, allowing the disease to take hold in cities and rural communities.
Sierra Leone said it had registered 130 new cases of Ebola during a three-day national lockdown that ended late on Sunday, the most radical move yet to try to contain a disease that has killed around half of those it infects and is crippling some of the weakest countries in West Africa.
The current outbreak was first identified in the forests of southeastern Guinea in March and then spread into neighboring Liberia and Sierra Leone, where it overwhelmed weak national health systems.
In Nigeria, 20 cases were recorded and eight people died. There have been no deaths from one confirmed case in Senegal.
“On the whole, the outbreaks in Senegal and Nigeria are pretty much contained,” a WHO statement said.
However, the U.N. agency said the world’s worst outbreak of the virus remains a “public health emergency of international concern”, which will guarantee it the body’s priority attention.
The international response has failed to match the spread of a disease that has exposed the fragility of the state in Guinea and threatened to undo progress made in rebuilding Liberia and Sierra Leone after their wars of the 1990s.
Donors have since pledged hundreds of millions of dollars in aid and the U.S. government is scrambling 3,000 soldiers to the region to build an extra 17 treatment centers and train thousands of local medics.
The Pentagon said about 60 U.S. military personnel had arrived in the region so far and another 30-40 are scheduled to arrive in the next few days.
The U.S. plan has been welcomed but aid workers say other rich nations should follow Washington’s lead with cash, supplies and personnel. The WHO has said the world must act quickly to keep the number of cases in the tens of thousands.
The European Union has pledged 140 million euros ($180 million) to fight the virus and Beatrice Lorenzin, Italy’s health minister, said European countries are assessing their resources to plan a coordinated response.
“Only four or five countries in Europe are equipped. We will work together to coordinate the aid effort,” she said as EU health ministers met in Milan on Monday. Read more
Image credit: www.bt24news.com