Sabinews Evening News Update for March 8, 2016
We’ll not forget Nigeria’s sacrifice for S’Africa – Zuma
South African President, Jacob Zuma, on Tuesday acknowledged that Nigeria and Nigerians indeed sacrificed for his countrymen to be freed of the clutches of apartheid.
He said particularly remarkable was a point in the history of the liberation struggles in South Africa when Nigerian civil servants voluntarily contributed part of their monthly salaries to the struggles. Read more
Army general dead, others injured in auto crash
The General Officer Commanding (GOC) 3 Division of the Nigerian Army, Brigadier General Muhammed Aliyu, has been involved in a ghastly auto crash along Damaturu, Maiduguri road in Yobe State with some other officers.
One General is confirmed dead with the GOC critically injured. The identity of the dead General is yet to be ascertained. Read more
Nigerian capital market indicators drop by 0.53%
Transactions at the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) on Tuesday reversed the eight-day upward trend with market indicators dropping by 0.53 per cent due to profit taking embarked upon by investors.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the market capitalisation lost N47 billion or 0.53 per cent to close at N8.859 trillion against N8.906 trillion posted on Monday. Read more
Court rules on Dasuki’s ex-aide’s bail application March 14
A Federal Capital Territory High Court in Jabi, Abuja, on Tuesday fixed March 14 for judgment in a fundamental human rights enforcement suit filed by a former aide to the ex-National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.), Col. Nicholas Ashinze, seeking an order releasing him (Ashinze) from custody on bail.
Ashinze alleged through his counsel, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN) that he had been in custody of the respondents to the suit, including the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Nigerian Army since December 23, 2015. Read more
We Were Offered $1m Bribe to Impeach Fayose, Lawmakers Allege
The crisis rocking Ekiti State over arrests of some lawmakers and top government functionaries assumed a new twist on Tuesday as members of the house have alleged that they were offered a sum of $1 million to impeach the governor, Ayodele Fayose.
The lawmakers, who vowed not to allow themselves to be co-opted into any devilish plot to truncate the government of Fayose, added that they were prepared to spend the rest of their tenure in DSS cell instead of joining some evil-doers in this sinister intention. Read more
US-Based Nigerian Surgeons Return Home against Medical Tourism
Medical tourism has been one of the major problems bedeviling not only the health system of Nigeria but also her financial strength. Medical experts have claimed. And this is as a result of unequipped and unavailability of facilities in hospitals for effective medical practice.
Statistics in 2014 as published on informationnigeria.com, showed that Nigeria invests a robust N2 billion annually abroad for medical care; thereby, expanding the economy of India and several other countries they patronise. Read more
Moody’s Places Nigeria’s Ba3 Ratings on Review for Downgrade
Moody’s Investors Service has placed Nigeria’s Ba3 government bond and issuer ratings on review for downgrade.
A statement from one of the top global rating agencies obtained on Tuesday explained that the purpose of the ratings review was for Moody’s to assess the extent of the impact of the further fall in oil prices, which the agency said it expects to remain low for several years, on Nigeria’s economic performance and government balance sheet in the coming years. Source
Dark days in America
YOU know that adversity has well and truly come to the forest when the pawpaw fruit tree takes the floor at a gathering of the denizens and demands to be counted as one its stalwarts.
You know that it is a dark era in American politics when the prohibitive front runner for the Presidential ticket of the Republican Party –hereafter the GOP, as in Grand Old Party – is the foul-mouthed Donald Trump, his immediate challenger is the venal Ted Cruz, and the other contestant whom it would be courteous to call a challenger is the robotic Marco Rubio. Read more
Boy sexually assaulted, murdered in private school
A boy was found dead under mysterious circumstances on Friday in a private school in Ranchi, India after possibly being subjected to sexual abuse.
According to police, prima facie evidence suggests that the boy was sexually assaulted before being ‘killed’. The family members of the boy have alleged that he was murdered after he was sexually assaulted, Zeenews reported. Read more
Buhari, Zuma visit National Assembly
President Muhammadu Buhari and his South African counterpart, Jacob Zuma, are currently on a visit to the National Assembly where Zuma is scheduled to address the joint session of the NASS.
The Speaker of the House of Representatives announced the plan earlier.
The plan is said to be in reciprocation of a similar honour betowed on former President Goodluck Jonathan, who addressed the South African Parliament during a visit to the country while serving as President. Read more
Man, 33, remanded for allegedly defiling minor
Apapa Senior Magistrate’s Court in Lagos on Tuesday remanded Chibuike Dike, 33, in prison for allegedly defiling an eight-year old girl. Dike, who resides at No.15, Okem Close, Ilufe, Ojo, Lagos, pleaded guilty to a two-count charge bordering on breach of peace and defilement. Read more
Army commends media support in fight against insurgency
The Nigerian Army on Tuesday in Abuja, commended the media for its support in the fight against insurgency, saying their support had been tremendous. The acting Director, Army Public Relations Officer, Col. Sani Usman, made the remark at a workshop on Conflict Sensitive Reporting for National Development, organised for journalists by the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR). Read more
Fraud examiners commend Buhari on fight against fraud, corruption
The President, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), Mr Godwin Oyedekun, has commended President Muhammadu Buhari on the ongoing war against fraud and corruption. Oyedokun made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Lagos. Read more
US-and-UK led naval coalition catch ship smuggling ten tonnes of weapons – and let the crew go free
A crew of gun-runners who were caught red-handed with nearly ten tonnes of weapons on their boat were allowed to go free by the Western-led naval force that stopped them, it was revealed on Tuesday.
The huge weapons stash was found on a fishing dhow in the Arabian Sea that US officials believe was en route to supply Iran-backed rebel fighters in Yemen. Read more
UN: Israel demolishing Palestinian buildings at ‘alarming’ rate
Israel is razing Palestinian homes and other buildings constructed with international aid at an “alarming” rate, the UN says, with more demolitions so far this year than in all of 2015.
In total 121 structures funded partly or fully by international donors were demolished in the occupied West Bank between January 1 and March 2, overtaking the 108 from all of 2015, according to UN figures. Read more
Look inside Shanghai Disney Resort 99 days before its grand summer opening
Disney has opened theme parks across the world, from Florida to Paris, welcoming millions of visitors annually.
But in just 99 days’ time, the mouse with the big ears will be getting ready to wow a whole new market.
Shanghai Disney Resort is set to open on June 16 and promises to breathe new life into Mickey Mouse’s regal domain. Read more
Israel Prime Minister Says Canceled U.S. Trip Wasn’t a Surprise
Israel on Tuesday disputed a White House claim that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu “surprised” the Obama administration by canceling a planned visit to Washington, saying that the White House knew Netanyahu was considering not coming.
Netanyahu had been expected to visit later in March on a trip coinciding with a major pro-Israel group’s annual summit, but his office said he would not travel because he did not wish to come at the height of U.S. presidential primaries. Read more
Hulk Hogan seeking $100 million for sex tape leak case
Hulk Hogan is seeking $100 million (£70million) in damages from a website that published his sex tape.
The fight between Hulk Hogan and the Gawker website returns to a Florida courtroom. Discussing the aftermath of the leaked sex tape, which shows an explicit encounter between him and his best friend’s wife, Hogan said: ‘I was completely humiliated.’ Read more