* Executive Order No 6 irreversible, says Lai Mohammed (Punch) * Fayose, PDP spit fire (SUN)

* Executive Order No 6 irreversible, says Lai Mohammed (Punch)   * Fayose, PDP spit fire (SUN)

SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE JULY 17, 2018

 

Executive Order No 6 irreversible, says Lai Mohammed (Punch)

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has said the Federal Government will not be intimidated by criticisms from those opposed to the Executive Order No. 6 signed by President Muhammadu Buhari on July 5.The executive order empowers the Federal Government to temporarily seize landed properties suspected to be proceeds of financial crimes to prevent them from being sold before the outcome of court cases. Mohammed, who addressed journalists in Lagos, said the opposition to the order was expected as it had sent jitters into the camp of the corrupt persons and their cohorts. Read more

Fayose, PDP spit fire (SUN)

Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose and the state chapter of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) have vowed that the declaration of Kayode Fayemi of the All Progressives Congress (APC) as governor-elect of Ekiti State would not stand. They claimed Fayemi is parading a stolen mandate of Kolapo Olusola-Eleka, having allegedly committed what they termed ‘poll fraud.” Fayose also slammed President Muhammadu Buhari for applauding and approving what he described as “a charade.” Reacting to a statement by a media aide of Buhari, Mallam Garba Shehu, entitled: “Fayose: In the end, a high-powered nothing,” issued by the Presidency Fayose said if Buhari was a democrat, he would not have supported a situation whereby the will of the people was subverted through the use of brutal force. Read more

Buhari mourns as 44 die, 500 houses destroyed in Katsina flood (Punch)

President Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday, expressed his sadness and concern about the devastation caused by floods in his home state, Katsina, and other parts of the country. In a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, the President pledged the Federal Government’s support for the victims of the disaster. Buhari said he had been saddened to observe the devastation and loss of lives caused by the floods in Katsina State and other parts of the federation. He said he had accordingly directed the National Emergency Management Agency to do everything that would bring succour to the victims wherever they were. Read more

Dutch Prime Minister promises to help Nigeria fight terrorism (Vanguard)

Prime Minister of the Netherlands Mark Rutte has promised to support Nigeria in the fight against terrorism, President Muhammadu Buhari has said. This is as President Buhari addresses the International Criminal Court (ICC), in the Hague, Netherlands today. The Nigerian leader is the only President invited to grace the 20th anniversary of the adoption of the ICC Rome Statute. President Buhari will share his thoughts on the values and ideals of the Court, which was established to prevent impunity, and try cases of genocide, war crimes, aggression, and crimes against humanity. Read more

Ortom quits APC, Akume eyes Senate Presidency (ThisDay)

Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State on Monday said he had left the All Progressives Congress (APC), following what he described as “a red card” given to him by some powerful forces within the party. The governor’s exit, Thisday gathered on Monday, was part of an elaborate political intrigue, shaping the future of the ruling party as its leaders, particularly in Benue State, position for the spoils of anticipated victory of the APC at the impending 2019 presidential election. At the root of Ortom’s ordeal, it was learnt, was his erstwhile godfather, Senator George Akume’s, ambition to clinch the Senate Presidency in the event of the incumbent, Senator Bukola Saraki’s, exit from the party. Read more

Observer groups reject Ekiti election results (Guardian)

A coalition of observer groups and civil society organisations have rejected the outcome of Saturday’s Ekiti State governorship election. In a statement by spokespersons Comrade Haruna Farouk and Nze Adachi Okoro, they said the exercise did not reflect their findings, promising a full disclosure tomorrow. “Other incidents that we recorded will be made open in our findings, which will definitely shock Nigerians and expose the conspiracy of INEC, security agents and the APC to keep the people of Ekiti from expressing their constitutional rights,” the statement said. Read more

We were stopped from flying to Benue for restructuring summit —Nwodo (Punch)

Some members of Southern and Middle Belt Forum led by Chief Edwin Clark, said on Monday in Abuja, that they were stopped from travelling to Makurdi to attend the Middle Belt summit on restructuring. They claimed that their chartered flight was stopped from flying to the Benue State capital under the pretence of security clearance. They said that they were told that they needed a clearance before they could land at the Makurdi airport. Spokesperson for the group,  who is also the President General of Ohaneze Ndigbo,  Chief John Nwodo, said the elders spent about five hours at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja,  trying to obtain a clearance to make the journey but were refused by the Commandant of the Makurdi Airport, whose name was given as Lt. Commander A. Audu. Read more

Southern Leaders’ flight denied landing permit, Nwodo warns Nigeria sliding into dictatorship (ThisDay)

The President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, frontline Igbo Socio-cultural group, Chief John Nwodo, on Monday warned that some recent actions of the federal government showed that the country was sliding into dictatorship. Nwodo spoke at a news conference in Abuja, where he said that a chartered flight that was to take some Southern leaders to Makurdi for a rally was refused landing permit at the Benue State capital. With him at the news conference, were, First Republic Information Minister, Chief Edwin Clark; former Governor of Anambra State, Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife; and Afenifere Leader, Chief Ayo Adebanjo. Read more

Soyinka, UN, others extol Mandela’s virtues (Guardian)

As the world marks Nelson Mandela International Day, Nobel Prize winner, Prof. Wole Soyinka; United Nations (UN) and other notable Nigerians have extolled Mandela’s virtues, insisting that his indelible legacies and values must be imbibed and sustained. At a lecture to commemorate the centenary of Mandela held at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA) in Lagos yesterday, Soyinka, who was the guest lecturer, described Mandela as a humble and unpretentious man whose life is worthy of emulation. He also shared how reading Mandela’s book, A Long Walk to Freedom, inspired him to love eating egg and bacon. Read more

Shock as undergraduate barks after spiritual cleansing by Alfa (Vanguard)

A 29-year-old female student of the College of Education, Akoka, in Lagos, who visited a Muslim cleric, popularly known as Alfa, for spiritual help, is currently barking like a dog after undergoing cleansing in Ikorodu area of Lagos State. The Alfa, Mustapha Hammed, 23, who was subsequently arrested, admitted to have put a live frog in the water the undergraduate used to bathe during the cleansing process. Investigations by the Police further revealed that the suspect raped the student on discovering that she is a student. Thereafter, he used a piece of cloth to wipe her private part. Read more

‘Killer’ of Ondo ex-deputy governor’s girl remanded (Nation)

An Akure Magistrates’ Court in Ondo State has remanded in prison Seidu Adeyemi, the suspected killer of Khadijat Oluboyo, daughter of ex-Ondo State Deputy Governor Lasisi Oluboyo. The deceased was a final year student of Adekunle Ajasin University (AAUA) Akugba-Akoko. Seidu was remanded by Chief Magistrate BobManuel Victoria after he was arraigned by the police on a two-count charge of conspiracy and murder. Police prosecutor Adebayo Mary told the court that since it was a murder case, the court had no jurisdiction over it and pleaded for his remand in prison. Counsel to the suspect, Taiwo Gbadebo, did not object to the application. Read more

Buhari orders repatriation of Nigerians stranded in Russia (Punch)

President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama; and the Minister of State, Aviation, Hadi Sirika, to commence the process of repatriating Nigerians who travelled to Russia for the 2018 World Cup and got stranded after the competition. The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, disclosed this in a statement on Monday.The Nigerian football fans got stranded in the country following the activities of some unscrupulous travel agents who cancelled their return tickets and abandoned them to their fate. Read more

Team Nigeria departs for Youth Games in Algiers (SUN)

Fifty-three athletes and officials in 5 sports left the country Monday night aboard Turkish and Emirates Airlines for the 2018 African Youth Games which starts in Algiers midweek. The athletes are Taekwondoists, Weightlifters, Table Tennis players, Swimmers and Badminton players. The athletes are Taekwondoists, Weightlifters, Table Tennis players, Swimmers and Badminton players. The 1st batch of 71 athletes and officials in Judo, Rowing, Volleyball, Football and Gymnastics left on Sunday July 15. 109 athletes and officials from Boxing, Shooting, Tennis, Beach volleyball, Basketball, Canoeing, Hockey and Athletics will depart on Tuesday July 17 while last batch of 30 cyclists and Handball players including their officials will leave on Wednesday July 18. Read more

NFF Crisis: Dalung dares FIFA, insists on Giwa (Vanguard)

Sports Minister Solomon Dalung has insisted that Chris Giwa remains the president of the Nigeria Football Federation as was declared by the Supreme Court judgment made on April 27, 2018. President of the world soccer governing body Gianni Infantino while speaking during the world cup, had warned that Nigeria risked a ban as FIFA only recognises Amaju Pinnick as the president of the NFF. “If any external body thinks that they can change the situation, then of course Nigeria will risk being banned as it has happened with other countries because we have processes that need to be respected. It’s a very clearcut and simple case. We have made this very clear,” Infantino said during Russia 2018. Read more

GOtv Boxing Night 15: I’ll destroy Iberu, Fijaborn boasts (SUN)

Reigning African Boxing Union (ABU) welterweight champion, Olaide “Fijaborn” Fijabi, has vowed to finish off Kazeem “Iberu” Ariyo, his opponent for the national light welterweight challenge bout slated for GOtv Boxing Night 15 on 29 July. The bout, which is the second one between the two boxers, is one of the seven scheduled to hold at the Indoor Sports Hall of the Obafemi Awolowo (formerly Liberty) Stadium in Ibadan. The former national welterweight champion boasted that his opponent will fall in the first round. “I have defeated him before and I know what to do to defeat him again. I am a knockout specialist and Iberu will be knocked out in the first round,” Fijaborn bragged. Read more

Golden Boot winner aims to break August hoodoo (Nation)

World Cup Golden Boot winner Harry Kane is already turning his attention to club football as he looks to rectify another unwanted record. England’s captain was the top scorer in Russia, netting six times after a quick-fire start, which put to bed any doubts of being able to cut it at the top level after drawing a blank at Euro 2016. But Kane is yet to score a Premier League goal for Tottenham in August, despite four prolific seasons, and is looking to hit the ground running in 2018-19. “I’ll hopefully be back for the first game and hopefully I can try and score in August this year,” he said. Read more

Cristiano Ronaldo in Turin for Juventus medical (Thenational)

Cristiano Ronaldo arrived in Turin early Monday ahead of a medical and a press conference to complete his move to Juventus.The Serie A champions are completing the formalities of the Portuguese forward’s €100 million (Dh429m) move from Spanish club Real Madrid after the two clubs agreed a fee for the player last week. After undergoing his medical, Ronaldo walked out of the medical centre at the Juventus Stadium in Turin to greet supporters. He is set to be officially presented to the media and fans later on Monday. Read more

Trump bashes U.S. ‘Foolishness and Stupidity’ as Summit with Putin gets underway (Time)

President Donald Trump and Russia’s Vladimir Putin opened their long-awaited summit Monday with a wink and slouch, respectively, then talked one on one behind closed doors for two-plus hours before the American leader declared their meeting was off to a “very, very good start for everybody.” Neither leader revealed what was discussed. But in advance of the talks, Trump listed a series of topics that did not include Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. “We have not been getting along well for the last number of years,” Trump said after arriving at the Presidential Palace in Finland’s capital, where the leaders are meeting. “But I think we will end up having an extraordinary relationship. … I really think the world wants to see us get along.” Read more

Donald Trump sent the worst tweet of his presidency this morning (CNN)

President Donald Trump has sent a lot of bad tweets. He’s tweeted things that aren’t true. He’s tweeted personal attacks about everyone from Hillary Clinton to Mika Brzezinski and back. He’s called North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un “Little Rocket Man.” But a tweet he sent Monday morning — just hours before sitting down with Russian President Vladimir Putin — has to be the worst. “Our relationship with Russia has NEVER been worse thanks to many years of U.S. foolishness and stupidity and now, the Rigged Witch Hunt!,” tweeted Trump. Let’s be very, very clear about what Trump’s tweet suggests: That the reason the US and Russia have an adversarial relationship is because of the special counsel investigating Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. Read more

Yemeni Minister of Works praises UAE assistance efforts (WAM)

Yemen’s Minister of Public Works, Dr. Moeen Abdul Malik, has praised the UAE humanitarian aid and development assistance efforts in his country. The Emirates Red Crescent is making remarkable strides to assist Yemeni citizens in liberated areas so that they can achieve stability, he added. The minister’s remarks came during a meeting with Saeed Al Ali, ERC Director in Aden, where the two sides discussed means to enhance cooperation to implement infrastructure projects across liberated governorates. Al Ali said that the UAE aid authority seeks to enhance bridges of cooperation with the Yemeni ministry to assist the country in developing and building capacities across its infrastructure sector. He presented the aid authorities objectives and activities during the first half of the Year of Zayed. Read more

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *