SABINEWS MIDDAY NEWS UPDATE OCTOBER 17, 2018
Fayose Must Not Die in Your Custody, Timi Frank Warns EFCC
The immediate past Deputy National Publicity Secretary of All Progressives Congress (APC) Comrade Timi Frank, has strongly condemned the continued detention of immediate past Governor of Ekiti state, Ayodele Fayose, by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC), warning that no harm must happen to the former governor. Frank said the alarm is necessary because of the information available to him that the agency has been instructed ‘by the powers that be’ to either poison or render the outspoken politician (Fayose) incapacitated ahead of the 2019 general elections.
Atiku’s Dubai Trip Delays PDP Presidential Campaign Council
The trip made to Dubai by the presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, was on Tuesday said to be delaying the full composition of the party’s presidential campaign council. However, our correspondent gathered that Atiku in conjunction with the national leadership of the party approved the selection of some members of the council before he left Nigeria for the United Arab Emirates. Some members of the National Working Committee of the party, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told our correspondent in Abuja on Tuesday.
Executive Order 6 Needed To Combat Corruption — British Envoy
The British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Paul Arkwright, has endorsed the Executive Order 6 signed by President Muhammadu Buhari, noting that it is important for rooting out corruption in the country. The envoy in an interview with Channels TV on Monday noted that the order would assist in the fight against graft in the country. He said, “I’ve heard that this is an anti-corruption measure, it’s not for me to say who should or should not be on the list. But what I would say is that it’s very important in continuing this fight against corruption and rooting out corruption where it is happening”. Arkwright, however, refrained from commenting on the travel ban on 50 Nigerians by the Federal Government.
Buhari Presides Over FEC Meeting, Shittu Attends Again
President Muhammadu Buhari is currently presiding over the weekly meeting of the Federal Executive Council. The meeting which started at about 11.01am with Buhari’s arrival is holding inside the Council Chamber of the Presidential Villa, Abuja. The Muslim opening prayer was said by the Minister of State for Power, Works and Housing, Mustapha Shehuri, while the Christian prayer was offered by the Minister of Sports, Solomon Dalung. Embattled Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu, is among council members attending the meeting.
Row In Senate Over $3.8bn Subsidy Payment Probe
The Senate has begun a fresh investigation into the alleged illegal subsidy payment on Premium Motor Spirit (petrol) by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation. The probe, however, divided members of the ruling All Progressives Congress in the chamber on Tuesday. Earlier, the Minority Leader, Senator Biodun Olujimi (PDP, Ekiti-South), raised a point of order, urging the Senate to probe the NNPC for paying subsidy on petrol without the approval of the National Assembly.
APGA’ll Suffer Repercussions, Says Ojukwu’s Widow
The widow of the late Igbo leader, Chukwuemeka Ojukwu, Bianca Ojukwu, has said that the All Progressives Grand Alliance will suffer the repercussions of conducting skewed primaries against her and other founding members of the party. In a press statement signed by her and made available to our correspondent in Awka, Anambra State, Bianca alleged that the party had been hijacked by those she described as mercenaries. Narrating her ordeal at the APGA senatorial primary in the Anambra South district where she lost to Mr Nicholas Ukachukwu, Bianca described the exercise as horrible. She, however, appealed to APGA members not to quit the party, saying that was not the solution to the problem.
Ibori Loses Appeal Against UK Graft Conviction
James Ibori, who was jailed in Britain for laundering tens of millions of dollars in stolen public funds, through British banks and properties, lost an appeal against his conviction in London on Wednesday. Ibori was governor of oil-producing Delta State in Southern Nigeria for eight years. He had pleaded guilty in a London court in 2012 to a 10-count of fraud and money-laundering, involving sums amounting to at least 50 million pounds ($66 million).
NNPC Denies $3.5bn Subsidy Fund, Says $1.05bn Was Raised Instead
However, the NNPC has denied claims by the Senate that it has in its custody a $3.5 billion subsidy fund managed by its top management. Rather, the corporation said in a statement sent to Thisday last night by its Group General Manager, Public Affairs Division, Mr. Ndu Ughamadu, that it raised and kept $1.05 billion subsidy fund with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). It explained that at the heat of the shortage of petrol supplies towards the end of 2017, the National Assembly asked it to do everything possible to stem the supply shortage and it initiated a revolving fund of $1.05billion for this purpose.
NAF ‘wings’ Nigeria’s 91st combat pilot in 3 years
The Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, has winged another combat pilot, Flying Officer Salihu Usman, in Abuja. This brings to 91 the number of winged pilots in three years. Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, made this known in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja. He said that Usman recently completed his Basic Fighter Introduction Course in the US. He added that: “The Chief of the Air Staff’s quest to re-professionalise the Nigerian Air Force through capacity building initiatives have received a further boost with the winging of another young NAF combat pilot, Flying Officer Salihu Usman.
Lagosians Need Freedom From The Leadership Of One Man – Jimi Agbaje
The Lagos state governorship candidate for the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Jimi Agbaje, said Lagosians are tired of being led by one man. Though the Centre of Excellence has had three governors since 1999, the PDP candidate believes that the state is under the control of an individual. Agbaje, who has contested for the governorship of the state since 2007, lost the last Lagos governorship election to the incumbent Governor Akinwunmi Ambode. The politician, though, is undeterred as he hopes to get into the government house on the third time of contesting.
AFCON Qualifier: Fans Hail Eagles, Urge Rohr to Fortify Team
Ebonyi football fans on Wednesday commended the Super Eagles’ 3-2 victory over the Mediterranean Knights of Libya in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on Tuesday night in Sfax, Tunisia. The fans expressed their satisfaction with the result, recorded by the Ahmed Musa-led team, in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abakaliki. NAN reports that the Libyans decided to play the qualifier for the 2019 competition finals scheduled for Cameroon in Tunisia as a result of the ongoing civil war in their country.
Gareth Bale & Aaron Ramsey: Wales Can ‘Cope’ Without Duo, Says Allen
Midfielder Joe Allen says Wales’ 1-0 win over the Republic of Ireland showed they can cope without star men Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey. Harry Wilson’s second half free-kick secured a second Nations League win for a youthful Wales side. The game in Dublin was Wales’ first competitive fixture without their two leading players since Ramsey’s debut in 2008. “It was important for us to cope without those two players,” Allen said.
Real Madrid Ban Vinicius Jr. From Joining Brazil U20s For South American Tournament
Real Madrid will not allow Vinicius Jr. to join Brazil’s under-20 side for the South American Youth Championship in Chile in January and February, according to U20s coach Carlos Amadeu. The tournament does not fit into a FIFA international window and thus clubs are not forced to free players for their national teams. “Real Madrid has already made it very clear to us that the players that are part of the squad will not be released for the South American tournament but they will be for the [FIFA U-20] World Cup,” Amadeu told Globo Esporte. “That’s the stance.”
Julian Draxler Nowhere Near His Potential, Says Former Coach
PSG creative midfielder Julian Draxler is being held back by fierce competition for places with the Ligue 1 champions, and has yet to reach his full potential. That is according to one of the 25-year-old’s former coaches, Dirk Reimoller – who worked with the Germany international during his days in the youth ranks at Bundesliga side Schalke. He has suggested the best way forward from here, is for Draxler to depart PSG in search of more regular first-team opportunities, which will naturally spark yet more transfer speculation surrounding his long-term future.
US Legal Threat Prompts Change At OPEC
The Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries has urged its member nations, not to mention oil prices when discussing policy in a break from the past, as the oil-producing group seeks to avoid the risk of US legal action for manipulating the market, sources close to OPEC said. Proposed US legislation, known as “NOPEC” which could open the group up to anti-trust lawsuits, has long lain dormant, with previous American presidents signalling that they would veto any move to make it law. But US President, Donald Trump, has been a vocal critic of the OPEC, blaming it for high oil prices and urging it to increase output to relieve pressure on a market hovering around four-year highs.
Merkel Calls For International Unity In The Face Of Global Health Threats
Angela Merkel has urged countries to work together in the fight against global health threats, warning that disease and epidemics are security risks that do not respect national borders. Addressing international health experts in Berlin, the German chancellor acknowledged that global cooperation was under pressure, but said nations cannot ignore health challenges. “We all know about the devastating consequences, particularly of communicable diseases, first and foremost on individuals, but also on economies,” said Merkel.
Pakistan Executes Child Serial Killer Convicted Of Killing 6-Year-Old Zainab Ansari And 6 Others
The man who committed a spate of child murders in the Pakistani city of Kasur has been executed. Mohammad Imran was found guilty in February of raping and murdering six-year-old Zainab Ansari before throwing her body into a rubbish dump a month earlier. He was later also convicted of a series of similar killings of young girls in Kasur over previous years. Zainab’s father, Mohammed Amin Ansari, asked for Imran’s execution to take place in public, to deter others. The request was turned down, but he was allowed to witness the hanging at a prison in the city of Lahore. His daughter’s horrific murder sparked outrage on social media when her brutalised body was discovered in January.