June 19, 2018

Funerals for Somali attack victims begin as death toll rises to over 300 (USAToday)

Funerals for Somali attack victims begin as death toll rises to over 300 (USAToday)

 

Mourners started burying the victims of twin bombings in the Somali capital of Mogadishu on Monday as the death toll rose to more than 300. It is the deadliest attack in the country’s history and one of the worst in the world in recent years.

About 300 other people were wounded in the attacks at busy junctions in a crowded shopping district Saturday. The Somali government blames the attacks on the al-Shabab extremist group, which vowed to step up attacks after the US and Somalia’s new president announced new military action against it earlier this year.

Al-Shabab has not commented. Hundreds of residents marched in Mogadishu to protest against the militants.

Ambulance service director Abdulkadir Adam said more people died of their wounds Monday, as the death toll was expected to rise further, the Associated Press reported. Overwhelmed hospitals struggled to assist victims as thousands of people donated blood.

Ahmed AbdiKarin Eyow, a 50-year-old man who lived in Minnesota, is among the dead, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

More than 70 critically injured people were being airlifted to Turkey for treatment, according to the AP. Information Minister Abdirahman Osman said countries including Kenya and Ethiopia had offered to send medical assistance. Read more

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *