Ghana goldmine collapse search called off, 17 declared dead

Ghana goldmine collapse search called off, 17 declared dead

 

Rescuers on Thursday called off a search for miners who were trapped underground for five days after an illegal goldmine collapsed in western Ghana, declaring 17 dead, a local lawmaker told AFP.

Nsuta representative Williams Adomako said the body of one miner had been brought to the surface but they were unable to reach 16 others. “Seventeen people have died,” he said.

Rescuers were on Tuesday scrambling to locate survivors after an illegal goldmine collapsed in western Ghana, trapping at least 17 miners underground. The abandoned mine in Prestea-Nsuta, which was more than 80 metres (260 feet) deep, caved in on Sunday afternoon as the miners were coming back to the surface. “As of now, we are on the site with the rescue teams,” Nsuta district police commander Superintendent Atsu Dzinaku told AFP. “They saw a body which they are trying to get out,” he added. “They assure us they will do their best to get them out from the pit, we are waiting to see what will happen.” Read more

 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *