May 26, 2018

* Go to Benue, Nigerians react to senators’ visit to Melaye (Punch) * Igbo will benefit more in Buhari’s ouster –Obasanjo (Punch)

* Go to Benue, Nigerians react to senators’ visit to Melaye (Punch)                  * Igbo will benefit more in Buhari’s ouster –Obasanjo (Punch)

SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE APRIL 26, 2018

 

Go to Benue, Nigerians react to senators’ visit to Melaye (Punch)

Nigerians on social media have expressed their displeasure that senators cancelled the Wednesday plenary to visit Senator Dino Melaye at the National Hospital, Abuja. Melaye on Tuesday had escaped from police custody while being taken to Lokoja, Kogi State, and in the process sustained injuries from his scuffle with the officers. He was thereafter conveyed in an ambulance to Zanklin Hospital, Mabushi, Abuja.  But the police on Tuesday evening stormed the private hospital and evacuated him to the National Hospital, against his doctors’ advice. Read more

Igbo will benefit more in Buhari’s ouster –Obasanjo (Punch)

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Wednesday asked the people of the South East geopolitical zone to vote out President Muhammadu Buhari in the 2019 general elections “in their own interest.” Speaking at a meeting of the Coalition of Nigerian Moment in Awka, Anambra State, Obasanjo said the Igbo would be the most beneficiary in Buhari’s ouster. He asked the Igbo not to believe the promise that the Igbo would produce the President in 2023, describing it as “a grand deceit and evil machination.” Speaking through the South East convener of CNM, Dr. Okey Nwosu, the ex-president asked the people of the zone to “collectively work with the CNM towards ousting Buhari from office in the 2019 general elections. Read more

Danjuma allegation: Panel submits report, Buratai to make it public (SUN)

The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, have vowed to make the report of the investigative panel set up to unravel alleged military connivance with herdsmen in the killings of innocent persons in Taraba State public.Buratai made this known when members of the committee submitted their report to him at the Army Headquarters in Abuja This is even as the panel set up by Buratai to carry out verification of authentic arms and ammunition in possession of Army units and formations across the country have also submitted its report. Buratai, while receiving the reports at the Army Headquarters, expressed worry at the allegations leveled against the Army in its handling of the Taraba crisis, and vows to make the report public in the shortest possible time. Read more

FG makes N90 bn from bonds in April auction (Nation)

The Federal Government allotted N90 billion in its April auction, the Debt Management Office (DMO) said on Wednesday. The auction result obtained from DMO’s website in Abuja, said it sold N12.75 billion in seven-year bonds at 13.53 per cent and N38.96 billion 10-year bond at 13.98 per cent. It, however, introduced a new five-year bond at at 12.75 per cent, raising N38.29 billion for it. The result noted that successful bids for the 12.75 per cent April 2023, 13.53 per cent for March 2025 and 13.98 per cent for Feb. 2028 were allotted at the marginal rates of 12.75 per cent, 12.85 per cent and 12.89 per cent, respectively. Read more

Strike: We had no agreement with health workers – Minister (SUN)
The Minister of Health, Isaac Adewole, has alleged that the the Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) was trying to arm twist the Federal Government into implementing a non-existing agreement. Adewole made the claim at the end of the Federal Executive Council meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday, adding that the union, which began an indefinite strike across the country last week Wednesday, never had a tangible agreement with the government other than ‘minutes of meeting’ which predates the current administration. Read more

Harsh weather forces Dutse residents to sleep outdoor (Nation)

Residents of Dutse metropolis of Jigawa are currently sleeping outside their homes due to excessive heat, investigations by our reporters have revealed. Since the beginning of hot season in March, residents have abandoned their rooms to sleep outside their premises. Further investigations revealed that people not only sleep in open spaces, but under trees in front their houses till early hours of the morning. Malam Kabiru Musa said that he had abandoned his room for almost three months now, since the beginning of the prevailing heat. Read more

Police detain my relations, deny me access to lawyers, says Melaye (Punch)

The embattled senator representing Kogi- West senatorial district, Dino Melaye has spoken for the first time from his hospital bed in Abuja. Melaye via his Twitter handle announced that some of his family members that were arrested by the police on Monday are still in their custody. He also added that he had been denied access to his lawyers and had not been given food for over 24 hours. He wrote, “Samuel Melaye, Moses Melaye, Pastor Obalemo, my driver, Folorunsho, one of my lawyers and seven others arrested since Monday by the police still in detention…” Read more

Benue killings: Arewa Forum asks FG to set up probe panel (Punch)

Northern lobby group, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), has described the Tuesday killing of two Catholic priests and some worshipers in a church at Ayar-Mbalom community in Gwer East Local Government Area of Benue State by suspected herders, as callous and unfortunate. The Forum called on the Federal Government to set up a panel of inquiry into the incessant killings that have continued to bedevil most of Nigerian northern states. ACF in a statement signed by its National Publicity Secretary, Muhammad Ibrahim Biu, also said that perpetrators of the heinous crimes must be fished out and be brought to book to serve as deterrence to others. Read more

You can’t dictate to us, kingmakers tell Akure monarch (Punch)

In spite of the rejection of the appointment of Mr. Amos Idowu as the new Osolo of Isolo community in the Akure South Local Government Area of Ondo State by the Deji of Akure Kingdom, Oba Aladetoyinbo Aladelusi,  the kingmakers of the Isolo community have declared that the appointment and installation of the new king is in order. Isolo is a community under Akure domain and its stool became vacant following the death of Oba Kayode Oluwatuyi some years ago. The Deji had rejected the appointment and installation of Idowu by the kingmakers of the community on the grounds that the appointment did not follow due process and was against the tradition of Akureland. Read more

Policeman docked for alleged sexual assault (SUN)

A 29-year-old policeman, Sylvester Shamaki, who alleged used his fingers to penetrate private part of a 22-year-old woman, was on Wednesday brought before a Yaba Magistrates’ Court in Lagos. Sylvester, whose address was not given, is facing a charge of sexual assault. The Police Prosecutor, Sgt. Modupe Olaluwoye, told the court that the accused committed the offence on March 14 at 6.30 p.m. at No 9 Adebisi Tolani Str. Medina Estate, Gbagada, Lagos. Olaluwoye said that the accused assaulted the complainant (name withheld) by forcing himself on her and penetrating her private part with his fingers. Read more

Again, herdsmen kill 11 in Benue (Punch)

Eleven people have been killed in Makurdi, the Benue State government said Wednesday, a day after at least 18 people died in an attack on a church that caused widespread outrage. Rilwanu Adamu, an adviser to the Benue governor Samuel Ortom on Islamic affairs, said the attack happened in the state capital, Makurdi, and targeted ethnic Hausa traders. “We lost 11 of our people…. We have five people also hospitalised in Makurdi,” he said, warning that the death toll could yet rise. Two mosques were razed to the ground and traders’ goods ransacked, said Adamu. The latest deaths came in the wake of an attack on a church in the Mbalom community south of Makurdi on Tuesday, which left 16 worshippers and two Roman Catholic priests dead. Read more

Real in pole position after Asensio winner at Bayern (Guardian)

Real Madrid moved a step closer to a third straight Champions League title after substitute Marco Asensio hit the winner in a 2-1 semi-final, first-leg victory at Bayern Munich on Wednesday. The 22-year-old came off the bench to finish a counter-attack and complete the holders’ comeback win, giving Real the advantage for the return game in Madrid next Tuesday. Bayern took the lead at the sold-out Allianz Arena through Joshua Kimmich, but Marcelo equalised just before the break. Read more

Cristiano Ronaldo has brilliant reaction as fans are wrestled to ground after storming pitch to get selfies (Mirror)

Fans stormed the Allianz Arena pitch to get selfies with Bayern Munich and Real Madrid players following their Champions League clash on Wednesday. A number of supporters were seen jumping the barriers and encroaching on the pitch as the referee called time on the semi-final, which Real Madrid won 2-1. One man made a beeline for goal scorer Marcelo, and held a camera out in front of his face, while another jumped on Franck Ribery. The Frenchman kept his cool as the man pulled on his shirt and very nearly knocked him over before a steward wrestled him to the ground. Read more

‘Real Madrid suffered a lot at Bayern Munich’ (Sportsmole)

Zinedine Zidane has admitted that Real Madrid “suffered a lot” in their Champions League meeting with Bayern Munich but bounced back due to having “the quality to overcome any obstacle”. Los Blancos fell behind to Joshua Kimmich’s 28th-minute strike and struggled defensively in Wednesday night’s semi-final first leg at the Allianz Arena. However, Marcelo smashed home a half-volley from the edge of the penalty area on the stroke of half time before Marco Asensio capitalised on an error by Rafinha to score a breakaway goal just before the hour. Read more

Saudi Arabia arrests nearly 1m people in four days (Memo)

The Saudi authorities said they had arrested 994,000 people between 18 April to 22 April, Saudi Okaz newspaper reported. According to the paper, 14,467 people were stopped by the security agencies and border security forces regarding issues related violations of residency and labour regulations and attempted infiltration across the border into the kingdom. The paper said 58 percent of those arrested were Yemenis, 39 percents were Ethiopians and 3 percent from other nationalities. The paper added that the Saudi security forces have arrested 640 people while trying to exfiltrate from the kingdom. Read more

Golden State Killer: Suspect arrested in California after 40-year search (Skynews)

Police hunting one of the most notorious serial killers in US history have arrested a 72-year-old former officer – saying the breakthrough was like finding “the needle in a haystack”. Joseph James DeAngelo was arrested in California on Wednesday morning and charged with four murders in Sacramento and Ventura counties. DeAngelo, who was fired from the nearby Auburn Police Department, is suspected of being the “Golden State Killer”, who terrorised California in the 1970s and 80s with a series of murders and rapes. Read more

These are the only people who live inside the DMZ between North and South Korea (Usatoday)

At first glance, this tiny village looks like an ordinary farming community in rural South Korea. Rice fields, tractors and modest homes dot the landscape. There’s a church, an elementary school, even a tiny movie theater. But life for Taesung’s 207 residents is anything but ordinary. They’re the only people living inside the Demilitarized Zone, the buffer area 160 miles long and 2.5 miles wide that has divided the peninsula since the end of the Korean War in 1953. South Korean soldiers escort farmers to and from their fields every day to steer them clear of landmines inside what is often called the most heavily guarded border in the world. Read more

 

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *