SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE OCTOBER 20, 2018
I Don’t Know Tinubu’s Position In APC –Obasanjo
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo says he does not know the position Asiwaju Bola Tinubu currently holds in the ruling All Progressives Congress. Obasanjo said this during a programme titled, “The Talk,” which was aired on a YouTube Channel, “Voice of the People.” The former President had been asked to identify the designations of certain political figures in the country. He identified Muhammadu Buhari and Prof. Yemi Osinbajo as the President and Vice President respectively, while he also identified Senator Bukola Saraki as the Senate President.
Confusion Over Travel Ban List As Presidency, Immigration, Customs Differ
There is confusion over the list of over 50 high-profile Nigerians placed on a travel ban by the Federal Government last Saturday as security agencies, including the Nigeria Immigration Service and Nigeria Customs Service have said the list is not with them. However, the Presidency insisted on Friday that the travel ban list had been sent to the various security agencies through the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN). President Muhammadu Buhari had last Saturday announced that security agencies, including the NIS, had placed over 50 high-profile Nigerians on a watch list and restricted them from leaving the country, pending the determination of their corruption cases with the various security agencies.
N4.65bn ONSA Fund: EFCC Moves Fayose To Lagos
There were indications last night that the trial of ex-Governor Ayodele Fayose at a Federal High Court may begin on Monday. The ex-governor is facing trial in connection with N1.299 billion and $5.3 million allegedly allocated to him by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) from N4.65 billion slush fund allegedly shared by ONSA. Ahead of the trial, Fayose may be relocated from Abuja to Lagos today. EFCC confirmed last night that Fayose has been served charges and trial notice. But the ex-governor denied collecting $5.3 million from a former Minister of State for Defence, Mr. Musiliu Obanikoro. He was said to have only admitted knowing Obanikoro and his associate, Abiodun Agbele, who allegedly bought six choice properties for him in Lagos and Abuja.
Abaribe Under Fresh Pressure As IPOB Leader Kanu Resurfaces
The senator representing Abia South, Enyinnaya Abaribe came under fresh pressure yesterday to produce the leader of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, following the public appearance of the latter in Jerusalem, Israel. Kanu, who was widely rumoured to have been killed during the September 2017 invasion of his Afaraukwu Umuahia residence by soldiers, was pictured praying at the Wailing Wall. Photographs and video of the Jerusalem appearance of Kanu who professes to be Jew, were shared on the internet by his supporters.
2019: Atiku To Meet South-West Leaders Over Political Offices
The presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, will have a meeting with leaders of the party from the South-West to seek their support ahead of the February 14, 2019 presidential election in the countryThe development is coming barely a week after the PDP standard bearer picked his running mate from the South-East. Atiku and the PDP last Friday settled for a former governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi, after reports of an initial plan to zone the Vice Presidential slot to the South-West.
2019: We’ll Unseat El-Rufai, Say Southern Kaduna Youths
Youths from Southern Kaduna on Friday said they would do everything constitutionally possible to unseat the state governor, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, in the 2019 governorship election in the state. To this end, the youths, under the aegis of the Southern Kaduna Youth For Progress and Development, vowed to deliver bloc votes for the candidature of Alhaji Isa Ashiru of the People’s Democratic Party and his running mate, Sunday Katung. ddressing a press conference at the Nigeria Union of Journalists’ Secretariat in Kaduna, the state capital, the Chairman of the group, Mr. Danjuma Sarki, said the group would deliver bloc votes in 11 local government areas in the state, which include eight from the Southern Kaduna Senatorial Zone; two from Kaduna Central; and one from Kaduna North.
PDP Warns Against Submission Of Unauthorized Names To INEC
The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has warned against submission of unauthorised names of candidates to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). In a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Mr Kola Ologbondiyan on Friday in Abuja, said that PDP had officially submitted names of candidates for National Assembly elections to the NEC ahead of the 2019 general elections. Ologbondiyan said that the party noted with disdain moves by certain individuals to illegally submit unauthorized names from some purported primaries by dissident elements, notably in Ogun state.
55 Killed In Kasuwan Magani Crisis – Police
According to him, he has also visited the town and engaged youth leaders, traditional and religious leaders in the efforts to stop the crisis and prevent its spread. He noted that the timely imposition of curfew by the Kaduna State Government also helped to douse tension in the area. The police chief assured that all perpetrators of the mayhem would be brought to book . “Anybody that has a hand in this crisis must face the full wrath of law, we will not allow lawlessness; we remain committed to saving life and property of every citizens,” he said.
Ooni Disowns “Outreach Foundation”
The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwunsi Ojaja II, has dissociated himself from the activities of a group called “Ooni Outreach Foundation”. Ooni distanced himself from the group described as “faceless’’ in a statement by the Director of Media and Public Affairs his palace, Mr Moses Olafare, on Friday, in Ile-Ife. Olafare said the disclaimer became necessary due to reports the palace received on fraudulent activities of unscrupulous individuals who had been swindling the public under the guise of representing the Arole Oodua.
Seun Kuti Slaps, Bullies Security Guard At Afrikan Shrine
Disaster was quickly – averted on Wednesday night, the third day of Felabration 2018, at the VIP/Artiste lounge of the New Afrikan Shrine, when Seun Kuti lost his temper over a staff of the Shrine who disrespected him. Seun who arrived at the Shrine in the company of a few associates was all shades of good mood but lost his cool when a security guard who later told Showtime that he didn’t recognize Seun, attempted to walk him out because the lounge was strictly for VIPs and artistes. Obviously shocked that a security guard at the Shrine would treat him like a regular person, Seun angrily slapped and bullied the helpless security guard who was quick to apologize for his mistake.
900 Nigeria Airways Retirees Die Awaiting Pensions
A member of the Ministerial Committee on the verification of payment of retired Nigeria Airways workers ,Captain Shu’aibu Alfa, revealed yesterday that 900 retirees have so far died nationwide since 2004. Alfa, who is the Supervisor, Kano Verification Centre, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kano that there are three centres where the ongoing verification exercise for the Nigeria Airways retirees are being conducted. He said during the 15 years, no fewer than 900 of the retirees died, while the medical cases of some of them became worse, homes were broken and some were in situations beyond human imagination.
AFCON 2019: Eagles Will Be Ready For Bafana, Says Uzoho
Ahead of next month’s crucial AFCON 2019 qualifier against the Bafana Bafana of South Africa, Super Eagles’ first choice goalie, Francis Uzoho has revealed the team is now beaming with so much confidence and will be ready for the challenge of coach Stuart Baxter’s boys. Uzoho, who is yet to taste a defeat in the qualifiers after keeping two clean sheets, further admitted that the team would take the South Africa game with all seriousness. “We will take the game against South Africa seriously because we have never underrated any team we have come up against.
Kwesé Brings Salam V Gondarenda Rematch To Lagos
Kwesé in partnership with Kalakoda Boxing Promotions is bringing the Friday Fight Nights series dubbed, Chaos in Lagos, to Nigeria on 26 October. Scheduled to take place at the Federal Palace Hotel in Victoria Island, Chaos in Lagos, will feature the much-anticipated rematch between Chomunorwa ‘Sting’ Gondarenda and Tony ‘Sugar’ Salam for Gondarenda’s WBF Africa Cruiserweight title. Nigerian sports fans wanting to tune-in for all the live action will be spoilt for viewing options, thanks to Kwesé’s multiplatform broadcasting approach. Kwesé will provide full broadcast coverage of the event through satellite TV.
U-20 AFCON: Flying Eagles Plan Open Screening
Coach Paul Aigbogun has told SCORENigeria the country’s U-20 team, the Flying Eagles, will stage an open screening to build a team for next year’s U20 AFCON in Niger. Aigbogun disclosed: “We will soon begin preparations for the U20 AFCON and we have decided to change the pattern of recruiting players this time – it will be an open screening to give young players a chance to be discovered. “Both the invited players and other players will be screened together for everyone to have an equal chance on the field of play. Whoever makes it from this screening will make my team.”
Man Utd Handed Injury ‘Surprises’ Ahead Of Trip To Chelsea
Jose Mourinho has admitted to being- handed unwelcome injury “surprises” by Manchester United players returning to Old Trafford from international duty. The Red Devils had already seen the likes of Jesse Lingard, Ander Herrera and Marcos Rojo pick up knocks during domestic competition. They then discovered that Luke Shaw, Diogo Dalot, Marouane Fellaini, Nemanja Matic and Scott McTominay had suffered problems while away with their respective countries. Mourinho has now suggested that his list of absentees could be even longer than first feared, with United currently preparing for a Premier League test away at Chelsea on Saturday. “The squad shape is that everybody available
‘I’m Not Happy’ – Jose Mourinho Breaks His Silence On The Report
An emotional Jose Mourinho has confessed he has been hurt by the criticism that has come his way in recent months, as he spoke for the first time about the report claiming he was on the brink of being sacked by Manchester United. The Daily Mirror ran a back page story on the morning of United’s last Premier League game against Newcastle claiming Mourinho would be sacked that weekend regardless of the result against Rafael Benitez’s side. Mourinho’s future appeared to be hanging by a thread as his side’s woeful first half performance left United 2-0 behind at the mid-way point in the game, but a late Alexis Sanchez winner completed a stirring comeback victory.
The Rangers Boss Urged Organisers To Reconsider The Ibrox Legend In Future
Steven Gerrard hit out at the decision to withdraw Paul Gascoigne’s nomination for the Scottish Football Hall of Fame on Friday night – and urged organisers to reconsider the Ibrox legend in future. The Rangers manager – who insists Gazza was his England idol – admitted he was saddened to see the controversy unfold during the recent international break. Proposed by the public and chosen by a selection committee, the 51-year-old was due to be honoured with a Hall of Fame place at Hampden in recognition of his three years at Ibrox.
Meghan Markle Shows Off Her Growing Baby Bump At Australia’s Bondi Beach
Royal fans finally got a glimpse of Meghan Markle’s growing baby bump since she announced the big news earlier this week. The duchess, who is believed to be 15 weeks along in her pregnancy, was visiting Sydney’s Bondi Beach as part of her 16-day tour of Oceania with Prince Harry. To greet the thousands of well-wishers who came out to meet the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and speak with the “anti-bad vibes circle” OneWave on the sand, the duchess donned a striped green, brown and white maxi dress by Australian designer Martin Grant and black wedges. Footage from the royal visit show the two kicking off their shoes and joining the beach group, with Meghan protectively placing her hand on her stomach.
Saudis Confess Khashoggi Was Killed, Claim He ‘Died in Fight’
Saudi officials have confirmed the death of Washington Post reporter Jamal Khashoggi. CNN’s Clarissa Ward talked about the major news, which was broken in the middle of the night in Saudi Arabia, on the air on CNN early Friday evening. According to her report, the Saudis are claiming it was a violent altercation that led to his death. “We’re also learning that apparently according to the prosecutor general, it was a fistfight that led to the death of Jamal Khashoggi,” she said. “You may remember the details that we had heard up until this point from Turkish officials who were responding to the tape, the alleged audio that exists of this whole thing. They said there was some kind of an interrogation, some kind of a struggle that then led to Jamal Khashoggi’s death.”