SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE – JANUARY 14, 2019
Ignore CCT summons, S’South govs tell CJN
Governors of the South-South geopolitical zone on Sunday urged the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, to ignore the summons issued to him by the Code of Conduct Tribunal to come and defend the false assets declaration charges levelled against him. This is as eminent lawyers and other prominent Nigerians including the Senate President, Bukola Saraki and the Speaker, House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, Chief Afe Babalola (SAN) and Femi Falana (SAN), condemned the Federal Government for instituting the charges against the CJN. They warned against rubbishing the judiciary.
Police file charge against Melaye, to present 8 witnesses
The Nigeria Police Force has filed a charge against Kogi West lawmaker, Senator Dino Melaye, for alleged illegal weapons possession. In the charge, which has been filed before the Federal High Court in Abuja, the police said a pump-action gun was recovered from Melaye’s house in July last year during a search of his property in Kogi State. In the charge, marked, FHC/ABJ/CR/07/2019, the police said the offence contravened Section 27 of the Firearms Act. The charge sheet reads, “That you, Dino Melaye, representing Kogi West district in the 8th National Assembly, on or about the 20th day of July 2018, at about 12.30 hours under the jurisdiction of this honourable court, unlawfully had in your possession one automatic pump-action shotgun and 20 cartridges, which were recovered at your residence located in the Ayetoro Gbede area of Kogi State, when a search warrant was executed on the directives of the Nigeria Police Force at your above mentioned residence under your control and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 27(1)(a)(i) of the Firearms Act Cap F28 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.”
Fresh crisis looms over new minimum wage
The moves by the Federal Government and the organised labour to finalise the new minimum wage issue this month face yet another crisis. The legislature plans to go on another recess ahead of the presentation of an executive bill on a new minimum wage by the presidency, which is one of the agreements reached between the government and the worker unions. The National Assembly is on Christmas and New Year recess and will resume on Tuesday. While the Presidency plans to transmit National Minimum Wage (Amendment) Bill to the National Assembly on January 23, sources in the leadership of the National Assembly told our correspondent that the lawmakers might go on another recess by January 24.
Stop spreading hatred against Buhari, Presidency tells Ortom
The Presidency on Sunday denied alleged plans by President Muhammadu Buhari to islamise Benue State, saying that Governor Samuel Ortom was engaging in a hate campaign against Buhari by making the allegation. It also stated that Buhari supported the anti-grazing law passed by the Benue State Government in a bid to end the series of conflicts between herdsmen and farmers in the state. The Presidency noted that Ortom had so far based his 2019 re-election campaign on what it described as “falsehood” against Buhari. It went on to ask the governor to stop passing such messages to the people of the state.
Flooding: Lagos residents seek FG’s intervention over rail line construction
Residents of Akinde Street, off Balogun Road, Ishaga, Lagos State, are apprehensive that their property will be affected by severe flooding during the upcoming rainy season following the rehabilitation of the existing railway line that connects Lagos State with other states of the federation amd the construction of a new one. According to the residents, they encountered severe flooding during the last rainy season, with many abandoning their homes to take shelter elsewhere.
Lagos pupil steps on abandoned well covered with sacks, drowns
Residents of Orepeju Close in the Akowonjo area of Lagos are in mourning following the death of a seven-year-old boy, Godwin Samuel, who fell into an abandoned well. When our correspondent visited the area on Sunday, neighbours were seen gathered in groups and discussing the incident in hushed tones as the mother of the deceased was too distraught to talk. It was gathered that Godwin left his parents’ residence on Saturday to play on the street. While playing, he reportedly fell into the well at 6 Orepeju Close, off Olasehinde Crescent, Akowonjo, Lagos. It was learnt that at the time of the incident, around 5pm, the victim’s mother and stepfather were not at home. The stepfather, Isaac Okon, said by the time the boy was recovered from the well by officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, he had already drowned.
Messi hits 400th Liga goal in Barca victory
Lionel Messi scored his 400th La Liga goal as leaders Barcelona claimed a comfortable 3-0 victory over Eibar at the Nou Camp to maintain their five-point advantage at the top of the table. Luis Suarez got the other two goals. Messi’s remarkable landmark strike came in just his 435th appearance in the competition. Cristiano Ronaldo (311) is the only other player to have scored more than 300 goals in La Liga. Antoine Griezmann scored from the penalty spot to give second-placed Atletico Madrid a hard-earned 1-0 win over Levante, while an 88th minute strike from Dani Ceballos gave Real Madrid a a 2-1 win at Real Betis.
Premier League: David de Gea stars in goal to help Manchester United beat Tottenham Hotspur
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said David de Gea was making a case to be considered Manchester United’s greatest-ever goalkeeper after he produced a masterclass on Sunday to protect his side’s 1-0 lead against Tottenham. The match at Wembley pitted two of the bookmakers’ favourites to permanently replace Jose Mourinho against one another but it was the interim United boss who came out on top against Mauricio Pochettino. Marcus Rashford scored the only goal in the 44th minute of a thrilling encounter and Paul Pogba impressed but the performance of the Spanish goalkeeper will live long in the memory.
Sharapova leads parade of former Australian Open champions
Maria Sharapova has the second-best record among active players in first-round matches at the majors, and she gave an illustration of why that’s the case with a ruthless 6-0, 6-0 win over Harriet Dart at the Australian Open. The 2008 Australian Open champion got play started on Rod Laver Arena on Monday and needed only 63 minutes to advance. In her 15th trip to Melbourne Park and her 55th Grand Slam tournament, she’s acutely aware of the toll that the sun and long early matches can have on a player’s title ambitions, so she gets straight to business.
Apple HomePod makes its way to China this week
Apple’s older iPhones might be banned in China, but that’s not stopping its other products from launching there. Almost as if to reassure the public that it’s business as usual, Apple has announced the upcoming availability of its HomePod smart speakers in mainland China and Hong Kong starting this weekend. And given the rather sensitive location of its new launch market, the company unsurprisingly makes a not so subtle reminder of how much it values privacy and security, even when doing business in China.
Trump threatens Turkey with economic devastation
U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday vowed to “devastate Turkey economically” should the Turkish military attack U.S.-allied Kurdish fighters — a rare direct threat by Trump to a NATO ally as his administration grapples with the execution of its plan to withdraw American soldiers from Syria. “Starting the long overdue pullout from Syria while hitting the little remaining ISIS territorial caliphate hard, and from many directions,” Trump tweeted. “Will attack again from existing nearby base if it reforms. Will devastate Turkey economically if they hit Kurds. Create 20 mile safe zone….”
Macron unveils ‘great national debate’ to calm protests
French President Emmanuel Macron on Sunday spelled out the questions underpinning his “great national debate”, a public consultation aiming to quell “yellow vest” anger after nearly two months of sometimes violent protests.Macron made his appeal in a “letter to the French” released on Sunday, following the ninth consecutive Saturday of nationwide “yellow vest” rallies which saw an uptick in turnout.The protests have become the biggest crisis of Macron’s presidency and he hopes that returning to the more participative democracy he promised in his 2017 grassroots campaign will satisfy the protesters’ demands for a greater say in the running of the country, amid accusations that he is too aloof and his policies favor the wealthy.