August 21, 2018

* I’ll Win Re-election in 2019, Buhari Assures (ThisDay) * Benue Police deny mosques, church attacks (Nation)

* I’ll Win Re-election in 2019, Buhari Assures (ThisDay)                    * Benue Police deny mosques, church attacks (Nation)

SABINEWS EVENING NEWS UPDATE APRIL 27, 2018

 

I’ll Win Re-election in 2019, Buhari Assures (ThisDay)

President Muhammadu Buhari has again re-echoed his decision to seek re-election in 2019, assuring his supporters that he is confident of winning. Buhari who made the statement in Bauchi thursday while inaugurating 500 tractors and other farm implements procured by the Bauchi State government at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Stadium (ATBS), said he would seek re-election for a second term and win again because he “is a clean man and not corrupt like other past Nigerian leaders.” He pointed out: “Most Nigerian treasury looters have more than 20 to 30 houses yet some people in the country cannot afford even a single room to sleep in because poverty has eaten them up.” Read more

Benue Police deny mosques, church attacks (Nation)

The Benue State Police Command has described rumors of attacks on four mosques and another invasion of a church as deliberate falsehood. Police Commissioner Fatai Owoseni said nothing of such happened in the state, adding that such rumours could cause breakdown of law and order. Urging the public to disregard the information, Owoseni acknowledged it was a difficult period for people of the state and indeed Nigerians following acts of insurgency being witnessed. He reiterated that the violent crimes had nothing to do with religion, ethnicity or political alienation, praying the public to report suspicious persons to the police through  07058344757 or 08066006475. Read more

Why I didn’t reply Obasanjo’s letter – Buhari (SUN)

Four months after former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s ‘letter’ to President Muhammadu Buhari listing his alleged failures and advising him not to seek re-election in the 2019 polls, he has given reasons why he did not reply or allow his aides to make a direct response to former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s ‘letter’ to him chronicling his alleged failures and advising him not to seek re-election in the 2019 polls. Obasanjo had last January in a strong worded statement circulated to the press, led to several reactions, which the President tried to wade through before he eventually declared his intention to run for a second term earlier this month. Read more

‘Nigerian public varsities graduates cannot compete with my secondary school students’ (Guardian)

Former Vice President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has described graduates of Nigerian public universities as brainless, saying they cannot communicate in English with the students of his private secondary school, the American University of Nigeria (AUN) Academy. Abubakar, who spoke on Thursday evening in Yola during his birthday celebration organised by the management of AUN, said public universities graduates cannot fit into private industries due to their poor education and character. “I was in the University of Zik in Akwa in Anambra State on Wednesday on the invitation of the university. There is no student in public universities that can speak English in an error-free manner like the head boy of my secondary, who just finished addressing us now. Read more

Saraki: Executive had enough time to seek approval for $496m Expenditure (ThisDay)

The President of the Senate, Dr. Bukola Saraki, has revealed that there was ample time for President Muhammadu Buhari to seek the approval of the National Assembly for the withdrawal and payment of $496 million for the 12 Super Tucano aircraft procured from the United States Government. This is as senators called for the impeachment of Buhari for his willful violation of sections 80 (1-4) of the 1999 Constitution. However, reprieve came the way of the president as the National Economic Council (NEC) Thursday in Abuja backed the decision of President Buhari to withdraw $469million from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) without the approval of the National Assembly for the purchase of 12 Tucano aircraft from the United States to fight insecurity. Read more

Senate probes Buhari over constitutional breach (Guardian)

The Senate, yesterday, directed its Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters to investigate alleged breach of the constitution by President Muhammadu Buhari. The decision followed condemnation of the president’s withdrawal of $496 million for the purchase of fighter jets without parliamentary approval. The committee is expected to determine the extent to which the constitution was violated, the circumstances of the infraction, and advise the Senate on steps to take. Read more

Paris Club refund: Court orders permanent forfeiture of ‘consultant’ N1.4bn (Punch)

The Federal High Court in Lagos on Friday ordered the permanent forfeiture of a total of N1,442,384,857.84 found in the bank accounts of three firms, which allegedly impersonated the consultants engaged by the Nigeria Governors’ Forum to analyse the Paris/London Club loan refunds due to the states. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, which obtained the forfeiture order on Friday, claimed that the defendants obtained N3.5bn from the Nigeria Governors’ Forum by making false claims. Read more

Police Stop PDP Meeting in Niger (ThisDay)

Citing insecurity, the police have cancelled the planned People’s Democratic Party (PDP) zonal meeting/rally slated for Kontagora town in Niger State on Saturday. The police conveyed the decision cancelling the rally to the party through a letter in which it claimed that “due to youth restiveness in the state all political rallies have been suspended until the security situation improves”. The PDP, in a reply to the police letter, assured the security agency that “our party members have always been law abiding and will not do anything that will truncate the peace of the state and in particular the Niger North senatorial zone”. The police were to, according to THISDAY findings, follow up with another letter to the PDP on Thursday in which it maintained that all rallies had been banned in the state. Read more

2014 Synagogue church building collapse: Witness’ absence stalls trial  (Vanguard)

Absence of the first witness of the Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) on Friday stalled opening of its defence in the ongoing trial of the church’s board of trustees for their alleged culpability in the collapsed building of Sept. 12, 2014 which killed 116 persons. Justice Lateef Lawal-Akapo of an Igbosere High Court, Lagos, however, fixed May 10 for the church to open its defence. The church was scheduled to open its defence in a one-count charge of building without approval slammed on it by the Lagos State Government following the dismissal of its no-case submission. Read more

I’m not a copycat, says GeorgeO (Punch)

Promising singer, George Obua, aka GeorgeO, has said that he didn’t have the American award-winning singer, Adele, in mind when he named his debut single, Hello. Adele’s Hello was a massive success upon release three years ago and won Song of the Year at the 2017 Grammy Awards. So, it came as a surprise when GeorgeO named his single Hello. Reacting to the development, he said, “First of all, I must say that’s a blissful coincidence. When I get an inspiration, I write straight as it comes from my heart. Read more

Kwara Speaker mourns Oyo State counterpart (Nation)

The Speaker of the Kwara House of Assemby, Dr. Ali Ahmad, has described the demise of his Oyo state counterpart, Mr Michael Adeyemo, as a ”rude shock and utter disbelief’’. Ahmad stated this in llorin on Friday in a condolence message signed by his special Assistant on Media, Shuaib AbdulKadir. The Oyo state Speaker died at the early hours of Friday. The Kwara Speaker, in his condolence message, described his late colleague’s death as “a bitter pill that is difficult to swallow for other Speakers and entire Nigerians’’. Read more

Man allegedly collects N.4m over fake death vision (Punch)

A 36-year-old man, Temitope Adeite was on Friday arraigned in a Badagry Chief Magistrates’ Court, Lagos State for allegedly obtaining N400, 000 from one Mrs. Emmanuella Obafemi over fake vision. Adeite, whose address was not provided, was alleged to have collected the money from his victim to appease the gods over a vision he saw that the woman would die. The accused was charged with obtaining under false pretenses contravening Section 322 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011. The Police Prosecutor, Inspector Akpan Ikem told the court that the accused committed the offence sometime in March at Ikoga area of Badagry. Read more

Female corps member dies in Kwara (Nation)

National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Kwara state has lost a female corps currently at its Yikpata, Edu local government area’s camp.

The deceased, Hilda Eva Amadi was said to have died due to injuries she sustained during the “Man o War” drilling exercise at the ongoing orientation camp. The deceased who studied Oil and Gas at University of Port Harcourt, it was gathered was said to have been full of life before her mobilisation for the one year mandatory service to father land. Investigations revealed that the deceased was said to have fallen off the string in the course of Man o War drilling exercise at the orientation camp. Read more

Mikel tasks Conte on Victor Moses’ role (SUN)

Nigeria captain John Obi Mikel has urged his former team, Chelsea to play compatriot Victor Moses in a more attacking position. Moses had enjoyed a major career revival at the Blues in the past two season, having been converted into a right wingback by manager Antonio Conte. Earlier in his career, the Super Eagles flyer played as a striker and winger at Crystal Palace and Mikel believed Chelsea can get more out of the 27-year-old in attacking terms, much as the Nigerian national team do. Read more

Ebuehi resumes full training (SUN)

Nigeria manager, Gernot Rohr has been handed a big boost less than two weeks before he is expected to submit a provisional 35-man World Cup roster to the Nigerian Federation, with news that one of the players to be named on the roster has resumed full training following a spell on the sidelines. ADO Den Haag defender, Tyronne Ebuehi participated in full training with the rest of his teammates on Thursday morning and is available for selection once again when they tackle PSV Eindhoven in the Dutch Eredivise on Sunday. http://sunnewsonline.com/ebuehi-resumes-full-training/

Tinubu receives autographed gloves of Anthony Joshua (SUN)

Former Lagos State governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu was yesterday presented with autographed gloves of Heavy Weight Boxing Champions, Anthony Joshua in Lagos. At a brief ceremony at the office of the leader of the All Progressive Congress (APC), the Director of Africa, Peel Aston Global, Khomeini Bukhari presented a hand-signed boxing glove from the Unified Heavy Weight Boxing Champion of the World, IBO, WBA, IBF, and WBO Read more

One month after, Dalung’s panel on ‘missing’ IAAF $150,000 grant yet to submit report (Guardian)

The investigative panel set up by Sports Minister, Solomon Dalung to unearth the circumstances surrounding the alleged disappearance of $150,000 grant, which world athletics ruling body (IAAF) sent to the Athletics Federations of Nigeria (AFN) in error, is yet to submit its report one month after, The Guardian has learnt. Also, the report from a five-man panel set up by Dalung to probe alleged doping rules violation against vice president of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), Olamide George, is still being awaited about 35 days after. IAAF erroneously paid $150, 000 to AFN instead of its $15,000 annual grant to member federations for the year 2017. According to reports, the IAAF accountants later discovered the error and subsequently asked AFN to refund the excess amount from the payment. But nobody in the federation knew what became of the money. The minister was said to have promptly set up a committee to look into the missing $150,000 grant, with a promise to bring anyone responsible to book. Read more

Stephen Keshi stadium to be completed in two months – Okowa (Nation)

Delta State Governor Ifeanyi Okowa has expressed confidence in delivering a world class stadium to host the African Athletics Competition to begin in August 2018. The stadium christened Stephen Keshi Stadium in Asaba-the Delta State Capital is billed to host the 2018 African Athletics Competition. Okowa who said this on Friday when Mr. Victor  Oyovbaire, Executive Producer, All Access Television Production crew paid him a courtesy call in Asaba, said that the ongoing reconstruction work at the Stephen Keshi Stadium would be completed soon and according to specifications. Read more

Supreme Court refuses to hears suit seeking to sack Pinnick’s NFF executive (Nation)

The Supreme Court has refused to hear a suit seeking to sack the Amaju Pinnick-led executive committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF). Instead, the court, in unanimous judgment of a five-man panel, ordered the re-listing of the suit before the Federal High Court in Jos, Plateau State for it to be heard promptly on the merit. The judgment was on an appeal marked:SC/731/2016 between Yahaya Adama and Obinna Ogba vs. Aminu Maigari and 3 others. The Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onoghen, who headed the panel, wrote the lead judgment, which Justice Ejembi Eko read in his absence. Read more

Pep Guardiola pays tribute to Andres Iniesta after Barcelona departure (101greatgoals)

Manchester City Boss Pep Guardiola has paid tribute to Andres Iniesta after the midfielder announced he would be leaving Barcelona. It had been coming for a number of months now even after the player had signed a supposed lifetime deal. Rumours surrounding his future continued to swirl with a move to the Chinese Super League most likely. While the decision was clearly difficult for the player, tributes have been pouring in from all around the footballing world. One of them comes from a former manager of his, Pep Guardiola. Read more

‘We’ll impose a big fight’ – Huddersfield Town’s Mounie fires Everton warning (Goal)

The Benin international is rooting for his side to secure a crucial victory over Sam Allardyce’s men when they clash at the Kirklees Stadium. Huddersfield Town striker Steve Mounie has warned Everton to be ready for a ‘fight’ when both sides clash in Saturday’s English Premier League outing. Last weekend, the Terriers secured a 1-0 victory over Watford which powered them to the 16th spot in the log. However, a win against Sam Allardyce’s men will aid their fight against relegation. “Everton is a tough team; they were in trouble at the start of the season but now they are back to the winning way,” Mounie told club website. Read more

Kim’s security: ‘not even an ant can pass through’ (Guardian)

When Pyongyang’s leader Kim Jong Un came down the steps towards the inter-Korean border Friday he was escorted by a phalanx of bodyguards carefully chosen for their fitness, marksmanship, martial arts skills and even looks. Men in sharp suits and matching blue and white striped ties fanned out ahead of and around Kim as he approached the Military Demarcation Line for a historic handshake with his Southern Counterpart Moon Jae-in. Some of the men had bulging pockets. All sported red North Korean lapel badges and the curly-wired earpieces beloved of the US Secret Service. Read more

Merkel holds ‘working visit’ with Trump at the White House (BBC)

German Chancellor Angela Merkel is making a flying visit to the White House in a last-ditch bid to save the Iran nuclear deal and avert US tariffs. She will meet US President Donald Trump in the Oval Office before an afternoon press conference. This “working visit” is her second trip to Washington since he took office. The optics will contrast starkly with the pomp and ceremony rolled out for French President Emmanuel Macron during his glitzy state visit this week. Read more

The state must do better for Britain’s modern families (Capx)

Stay-at-home mums have become a distinct minority in British society — that’s the conclusion of a new report out from the never knowingly under-quoted Institute for Fiscal Studies. Just over a quarter of British families now feature a single earner, a number that has slumped dramatically since the mid-70s, when almost half of families (47 per cent) had only one parent in work. As the report’s authors note, this is a “huge social change” and an obvious corollary of a sharp increase in the number of women in employment. As recently as 1975, under two thirds of women were in work, compared to last year’s figure of 78 per cent. Read more

Thousands in Spain protest men cleared of rape charge, given lighter sentence (Abcnews)

Thousands of women’s rights advocates hit the streets of Spain’s major cities Thursday to protest a verdict that cleared five men of rape, instead handing down a lighter sentence for sexual abuse. The Pamplona court charged the men with sexually abusing an 18-year-old woman during the San Fermin bull-running festival. However, the court cleared them of rape, sentencing them to nine years in prison each for the 2016 attack. Prosecutors had asked for sentences of more than 20 years. Large crowds gathered outside major areas like the Justice Ministry in Madrid, along with other major cities like Sevilla and Barcelona. Read more

China: Knife attacker kills 7 children, wounds 12 (UsaToday)

A man has killed at least seven children and injured at least 12 others at a middle school in northern China, according to local officials. The deadly rampage is the latest in a string of knife attacks against school children to happen in the country in recent years.

What we know so far: Authorities in Mizhi County in Shaanxi province wrote on their official social media account that the incident took place around 6:10 p.m. local time. Police have detained the suspect. A local newspaper reported that the students were stabbed on their way home. Read more

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *