* INEC removes 300,000 names from voter register * Atiku Supporters warn Ezekwesili

* INEC removes 300,000 names from voter register                         * Atiku Supporters warn Ezekwesili

SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE NOVEMBER 6, 2018

 

INEC removes 300,000 names from voter register

The Independent National Electoral Commission says it will on Tuesday (today) publish the voter register across the 120,000 polling units across the nation. The INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, said this while receiving the ECOWAS pre-election fact-finding team in Abuja on Monday. Yakubu further urged members of the public to assist the commission in purging the register of ineligible voters such as illegal aliens and underage voters. He said, “Between November 6 and November 12, we shall display the register of voters nationwide for claims and objections.”

Atiku Supporters warn Ezekwesili

A group of Atiku Abubakar’s supporters, under the aegis of Atiku for Better Nigeria, has warned a former Minister of Education, Mrs Oby Ezekwesili, to desist from using derogatory remarks against Atiku and the People’s Democratic Party. The Atiku supporters advised Ezekwesili, who is a presidential candidate for 2019, to concentrate on her campaign and stop tagging other contestants and political parties as fraudsters. The Atiku for Better Nigeria, in a statement by its National Coordinator, Benita Dike-Israel, made available to our correspondent, advised Ezekwesili to learn the ropes in politics so as to avoid “falling into the abyss”.The group argued that by painting Atiku and the PDP black, Ezekwesili was indicting herself and bitting the fingers that fed her since she was a minister under the PDP regime.

Germany trip: EFCC accuses Orji Kalu of jumping bail

Hearing in the trial of a former Governor of Abia State, Dr Orji Kalu, for an alleged fraud of N7.65bn was stalled on Monday due to the absence of the ex-governor from court. Kalu’s lawyer, Prof Awa Kalu (SAN), told Justice Mohammed Idris at the Federal High Court in Lagos that his client was away in Germany for a surgical operation. He added that the ex-governor had been advised by his doctors to remain in Germany for some time to recuperate. The defence counsel said the prosecutor for Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), was aware of the development and urged Justice Idris to further adjourn the case.

 Plateau gov meets Buratai over Alkali’s murder

Plateau State Governor Simon Lalong on Monday met with  the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen Tukur Buratai,   at the Army Headquarters, Abuja over the murder of a former Army Chief of Administration, Maj. Gen Idris Alkali  at Dura-Du community in the Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau  State on September 3 by hoodlums. Lalong said the state government would cooperate with the army to fish out the  suspects yet to be apprehended over the incident. Alkali’s  corpse was later found in an abandoned well and buried at the Military Cemetery, Abuja, on Saturday. Lalong said, “The government watched keenly and where we were supposed to help, we did our best and our best was to reveal the identities of those who did this.

 Labour suspends strike, tripartite panel submits report to Buhari today

Organised labour has called off the nationwide industrial action scheduled to commence on Tuesday (today) to press home workers’ demand for a new national minimum wage. The National Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Ayuba Wabba, announced the suspension at the end of the 10pm meeting of the tripartite committee set up to come up with the new minimum wage on Monday. Wabba said the decision to suspend the action was reached after agreements were reached and documents signed. “Having reached this position and agreements signed, the proposed strike action is hereby suspended,” the labour leader said.

 26 APC Ogun Assembly Candidates Seek Oshiomhole’s Recognition

The newly elected 26 candidates of the Ogun State House of Assembly on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) have appealed to the national leadership of the party to urgently wade into their plight and do the needful by giving them the Party Candidate Form (CF001) of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to fill and submit, so that they could participate in the upcoming 2019 general elections. The APC House of Assembly candidates, at a press conference held at NUJ Centre, Abeokuta, the state capital, yesterday, noted that the deadline for the submission of names and particulars of candidates for the election to INEC had lapsed on Friday, November 2, 2018, without any of them who won the primaries given the form, while they said the situation remains the same till date.

 UBTH Surgeon Dies After Performing Four Straight Surgeries

A resident medical doctor with the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, has reportedly dead. The medical doctor identified as Dr. Okeoghene Edigba, was said to have died after performing four surgeries. He was said to have slumped and later confirmed dead by his colleagues who rushed him to the hospital emergency ward. Confirming the death, the Chairman, UBTH chapter of Association of Resident Doctors, Dr. Etinosa Imagbenikaro, said the deceased collapsed and died after performing four straight surgeries.

 209 Cases Worth N6tn Pending at Tax Tribunal – FG

About 209 cases worth over N6tn are currently pending at the various zones of the Tax Appeal Tribunal across the country. The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Finance, Mahmoud Dutse, said this at the inauguration of commissioners for the Tax Appeal Tribunal. The breakdown of the N6tn pending cases across the six geo-political zones where the Tax Appeal Tribunal offices are located are $18.80bn, N205.65bn and €0.821m. Dutse said most of the pending cases involved multinational companies, adding that the issues for determination were highly technical and painstaking.

Seun Egbegbe: Judge fines prosecutor N50,000

The trial of a Nollywood film-maker, Olajide Kareem, alias Seun Egbegbe, was stalled on Monday as the trial judge insisted that the case could not go on except the prosecutor, Mr Innocent Anyigor, pays a  fine of N50,000 imposed on him during the  previous proceedings. Justice Oluremi Oguntoyinbo, sitting at the Federal High Court in Lagos, rejected the plea by the police prosecutor that the N50,000 be waived. The judge rebuked the prosecutor for the snail’s pace at which the case had proceeded since Egbegbe and his co-defendants were arraigned in February last year.

 AWCON 2018: Nigeria Super Falcon to train in Abidjan ahead of tournament in Ghana

AWCON Cup holders, Super Falcons of Nigeria will spend eight days at a training camp in Abidjan to perfect tactics and strategy for the defence of their continental title before arriving in Ghana for the 11th Women’s Africa Cup of Nations finals. The team, which has been camping at the magnificent Jubilee Chalets and Resort in Epe near Lagos – courtesy of the Lagos State Government for the past few weeks, will travel aboard an Air Ivoire flight on Tuesday morning to the Ivorian capital. Head Coach Thomas Dennerby on Monday unveiled a list of 23 players who will make the trip to the world–renowned ASEC Mimosas FC academy, Sol Beni, where two players will be dropped for a final squad of 21 who will make the trip to the Cape Coast.

Rohr Thrilled with Eagles’ Stars’ Resurgent Form in Europe

Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr says he is excited by the high standards the majority of the Super Eagles’ players are exhibiting in their various clubs in Europe, Completesortsnigeria.com reports. “I am thrilled with the playing time my players are getting in their clubs in Europe. They not only playing regularly, but they are also in good form and that is what I demand from them every week. They are doing very good and that is very well for us moving forward.

 Gunmen Abduct School Principal, 78 Students in Cameroon

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the abduction in the English-speaking region where separatists are fighting to form a breakaway state. The separatists have imposed curfews and closed down schools as part of their protest against President Paul Biya’s French-speaking government. “In total 81 people were kidnapped including the school principal. They were taken to the bush,” a military source said. A report claimed 78 students, a driver and another teacher were among those kidnapped. A government spokesman said it was keeping track of an event but that it could not comment further.

Mbappe Will Be World’s Best but Must Improve – Tuchel

Paris Saint-Germain coach Thomas Tuchel believes Kylian Mbappe will become the best player in the world, but said the attacker still needed to improve.

Mbappe, 19, has made an impressive start to the season with 13 goals in 11 games for PSG. But the teenager was questioned by Spain and Barcelona great Xavi, who said Mbappe still lacked “football maturity”. In response on Monday, Tuchel backed Xavi, but said it was normal that Mbappe still had room for improvement. “It’s normal for him to get better. He’s 19,” he told a news conference ahead of PSG’s Champions League clash against Napoli.

 Eni to Look at Sanctions Measures to See If It Can Use Iranian Crudes

Italian oil major Eni will look at the Iran sanctions measures to see if it can use Iranian crudes to allow it greater flexibility in procuring supplies, a spokesman said on Monday. “Eni is examining the … provisions to see if the decision allows it to consider the use of Iranian crudes for further flexibility in its crude supply system,” the spokesman said. But the company added it would fully respect international community decisions on rules and sanctions in regard to Iran. The United States on Monday restored sanctions targeting Iran’s oil, banking and transport sectors. However, the United States gave temporary exceptions to eight importers – China, India, Greece, Italy, Taiwan, Japan, Turkey and South Korea – allowing them to keep buying from Iran.

Facebook Pulls Trump’s Controversial Immigrant Ad For Violating Its Advertising Policy On ‘Sensational Content’

The ad, which claims the migrant caravan headed toward the United States consists of “dangerous illegal criminals,” can still be posted on Facebook, but not through the social network’s paid advertisement distribution system, Bloomberg reports. Fox News pulled the ad on Sunday, and NBC and Facebook quickly followed suit on Monday. “This ad violates Facebook’s advertising policy against sensational content, so we are rejecting it,” a Facebook spokesperson said to Bloomberg in a statement. “While the video is allowed to be posted on Facebook, it cannot receive a paid distribution.”

 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *