Iran’s foreign minister said on Tuesday that its ballistic missiles were for self-defense and that recent tests condemned by the United States did not violate an historic nuclear deal between Tehran and six world powers.
Speaking in Australia, Mohammad Javad Zarif said that the missiles tested last week would never be used in aggression. The tests drew international concern and prompted a meeting on Monday of the 15-nation United Nations Security Council.
“These missiles do not even fall within the purview of 2231 and they are not illegal,” he told reporters, referring to the council resolution, adopted in July, that endorsed the nuclear deal.
“Iran will never use any means to attack any country, including our missiles. These are only for our defense. I challenge those who are complaining about Iran’s missile program … to make the same statement,” he added. Read more