A 50-year-old housewife, Jenny Ibor Okpa, of Ofalosi village in Nko, Yakurr Local Government Area of Cross River, yesterday, died from kerosene explosion. It was gathered that the deceased attempted to light a lantern with a matchstick, when it exploded and flames engulfed her entire room.
An eyewitness told Vanguard that it was the woman’s cry for help that attracted her husband, neighbours and other good Samaritans, who fought hard to put out the fire on her body. But she had reportedly suffered severe burns. When Vanguard visited the widower, Chief Ibor Okpa, he said his wife was trying to illuminate her room with a lantern, which ended up claiming her life. His words: “It was the loud explosion and her cry for help that attracted me and other neighbours that tried to rescue her. But all efforts to rescue her proved abortive as the raging fire on my wife’s body and her room was really fierce.” Read more