* Killings: Miyetti Allah rejects calls for service chiefs’ sacking (Punch) * Tanker explosion: Lagos to prosecute truck owner, driver (SUN)

* Killings: Miyetti Allah rejects calls for service chiefs’ sacking (Punch)               * Tanker explosion: Lagos to prosecute truck owner, driver (SUN)

SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE JULY 3, 2018

 

Killings: Miyetti Allah rejects calls for service chiefs’ sacking (Punch)

The apex Fulani social-cultural organisation, Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, has rejected calls for the sacking of the service chiefs. The Secretary-General of the group, Saleh Al-Hassan, said this during an interview on Sunrise Daily, a Channels Television programme, on Monday. A large section of Nigerians, including the National Assembly and governors, has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to sack the service chiefs for failing to protect the lives of Nigerians. However, Al-Hassan said those calling for the sacking of the service chiefs “are corrupt politicians.” Read more

Tanker explosion: Lagos to prosecute truck owner, driver (SUN)

The Lagos State Government is perfecting plans to prosecute the owner and driver of the ill-fated fuel tanker which exploded on Otedola Bridge, inward Ojodu-Berger, along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, last Thursday. Lagos Commissioner of Police, Imohimi Edgal disclosed this to newsmen, yesterday. on Monday. The Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Adeniji Kazeem had, at the weekend, written to Edgal to advise him on the relevant provisions of the law that could guide the ongoing investigation which would lead to possible prosecution. Confirming receipt of the letter while briefing Government House Correspondents, after the Security Council Meeting chaired by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, Edgal said investigations into the incident are ongoing and that government will not allow vehicles which pose serious danger to residents on the road. Read more

Conspiracy against Buhari will fail, says Presidency (ThisDay)

The Presidency has accused some opposition politicians of ganging up against President Muhammadu Buhari because his administration has successfully blocked every avenue to loot the country’s treasury. Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media, Garbu Shehu stated this yesterday at the headquarters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Abuja, during a visit to the National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole. While reacting to criticism by the opposition concerning alleged bias in the administration’s anti corruption crusade, Shehu said the renewed agitation by those who constituted themselves into opposition elements was coming because the war against the treasury looters is succeeding. Read more

Gowon to Buhari: deal with culprits (Nation)

Former Head of State Gen. Yakubu Gowon has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to identify, arrest and deal with those responsible for the killings across the country. Gen. Gowon spoke in Katsina State during the two-day North West zone Nigeria Prays event. He said Nigerians needed to come together and condemn all forms of animosity including bloodletting, clashes, and hate speeches. The former leader observed that if it were not for God’s mercy, the country would have been plunged into crises as result of the killings. Read more

National Assembly sends revised Electoral Act bill to Buhari (Punch)

The National Assembly has transmitted the revised Electoral Act Amendment Bill to President Muhammadu Buhari for assent, The Punch learnt on Monday. The President had refused to sign the first version of the bill into law. A source in the National Assembly disclosed to journalists in Abuja that the bill was transmitted last week. The source said, “The amended Electoral Act has been transmitted to Mr President since Monday last week. He has it now. The National Assembly is expecting him to quickly assent to it because of the deadline for such amendment ahead of the 2019 general elections.” Read more

Atiku, others shout over alleged voters card cloning (SUN)

There is a growing concern and apprehension among prominent Nigerians, including politicians, lawyers as well as political parties and organisations over alleged attempts to clone and sell the Permanent Voters Card (PVC) on a foreign online business portal, alibaba.com. In their separate reactions, yesterday, they condemned the development and tasked the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to conduct thorough investigation into the scam and sanction those found wanting. Wikipedia lists alibaba.com as a Chinese multinational e-commerce, retail, Internet, AI and technology conglomerate founded in 1999 that provides consumer-to-consumer, business- to-consumer and business-to-business sales services via web portals, as well as electronic payment services, shopping search engines and cloud computing services. It owns and operates a diverse array of businesses around the world in numerous sectors. Read more

Fayemi seeks nullification of court ruling against him in alleged fraud (Guardian)

Governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Dr. Kayode Fayemi has asked the court to set aside its order over substituted service of his appearance in alleged fraud case. The state government had filed the suit against Fayemi and a former Commissioner of Finance, Dapo Kolawole, seeking to indict them in the alleged corruption charges. Justice Cornelius Akintayo had on May 28, ordered the substituted service, following the inability to effect the service off court. Government had also issued a White Paper, which indicted Fayemi and Kolawole in the alleged fraud, while in office between 2010 and 2014. Following their indictment, they were barred from holding public office for 10 years, as recommended by the Judicial Panel of Inquiry set up to investigate their tenure. Read more

We lost our biggest development opportunity to stomach infrastructure –Fashola (SUN)

Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, has said Nigeria lost its best opportunity for massive development to stomach infrastructure between 2007 and 2015. Fashola, who was a guest lecturer during the Herbert Macaulay Memorial Lecture (HMML) of the Faculty of Engineering, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, yesterday, said: “While other oil producing countries were busy building their nations at a time when oil prices peaked, the past administration in Nigeria developed a different form of development known as stomach infrastructure. “We should never forget this. We decided to share the money rather than invest the money, just to win elections. The money that should have been used to fund the Abakaliki rice was used to import rice. Read more

Minister urges state governments to review population policy (Guardian)

Isaac Adewole, has urged state governments to review their population policy and implementation approaches with a view to making families embrace moderate size. He noted that with over 190 million people, and still counting, vigorous awareness creation about the essence of moderate family size, especially in rural areas, has become necessary. At the inaugural Prof. Babatunde Osotimehin Annual Memorial Lecture yesterday in Abuja, the minister said Nigeria needed to invest about $652 million over the next five years on high-impact family planning. Read more

Killings unacceptable, says Adeboye (Nation)

General Overseer of The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) Pastor Enoch Adeboye has described the killings in Plateau State as condemnable. Adeboye stated this at the Special Thanksgiving Service for all mothers, intending mothers, widows & their families organised by the church at the Redemption Way Ebute Metta Throne of Grace National Headquarters in Lagos on Sunday. The event, tagged: Joy of Many Generation was attended by Christian faithful drawn from across the country.. It coincided with the thanksgiving celebration for the General Overseer’s wife Pastor Folu,  who will turn 70 on July 13. Pastor Adeboye called for a pragmatic security approach toward tackling all forms of insecurity. Read more

Amaechi accuses Wike of Inaugurating his Project (ThisDay)

A former Rivers State Governor and Minister of Transportation, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, has alleged that some projects being inaugurated by his successor, Ezebunwo Nyesom Wike. were projects that were completed by his administration. But in a swift reaction, the Rivers State Government has described Amaechi as a man living in regrets. Amaechi made the allegation during a grand reception organised in his honour by the people of Ishimbam General Assembly (IGA) in conjunction with the Free Rivers Development Initiative (FRDI) at the Freedom Square, Elele in Ikwerre Local Government Area (LGA) of the state. He said Wike was taking credit for his administration’s achievements because he (Amaechi) did not place priority in inaugurating projects. Read more

Soldiers will not be deployed for poll, INEC chairman pledges (Guardian)

Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, has disclosed that soldiers would not be deployed in the election. Yakubu, who stated this in an interaction with newsmen in Lagos, said the police remain the lead security agency in the country, and not the army. He said: “INEC is determined to protect the integrity of our elections, and people should discountenance anybody beating the drumbeats of war. “We are working to provide adequate security for the voters, our staff, and election materials in the over 2,100 polling units. Each of the polling units will have a minimum of four INEC staff and three security personnel.” Read more

Alleged N400m fraud: Court rules on Metuh’s application to reopen case July 3 (Vanguard)

The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Monday fixed July 3 to rule on an application filed by Olisa Metuh, former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, seeking to reopen his case. It will be recalled that the court had closed the defence of Metuh on May 25, following an application by the prosecuting counsel, Mr Sylvanus Tahir. Tahir had asked the court to close Metuh’s case as both he and his counsel were absent in court and no reason given for their absence. The judge, Justice Okon Abang, closed the case on the ground that Metuh’s absence in court could only mean he had abandoned his defence. He also said that the absence of Metuh’s counsel in court showed lack of interest in the defence of his client. Read more

Plateau: 21 suspects held (Nation)

Twenty-one suspects have been arrested over the Plateau State killings, according to the special military task force Operation Safe Haven (OPSH). Among them are those found with arms and suspected hoodlums who hijacked the protests sparked by the killings. The special task force comprises police, Air Force, Army and paramilitary security agencies. The suspects were paraded yesterday at the OPSH Headquarters in Jos by the media officer of the task force, Major Adam Umar and Police Public Relations Officer Tyopev Terna. Read more

Massive Pipeline Explosion rocks Ilara Community in Ogun State (ThisDay)

A massive explosion has rocked Ilara area near Ogijo in Ogun State after a vandalised pipeline exploded, Thisday has exclusively gathered. The explosion occured at about 10pm on Sunday and fire was still raging as at 3am on Monday. According to sources, the pipeline was vandalised sometime last week and the valve was left open with fuel gushing out unhindered. Sources claimed the community did not report the case as they should  have.  Details are still sketchy as to what caused the vandalised pipeline to explode. Residents of the area were said to have fled their homes to safety as fire spread. Read more

Giwa takes over NFF as FG asks Pinnick to quit (Punch)

Nigerian football politics took a new twist on Monday, when Chris Giwa resumed at the Glasshouse of the Nigeria Football Federation in Abuja, as the president of the football body. Giwa, who was elected as NFF president on August 26, 2014, has been locked in a leadership tussle with the Amaju Pinnick-led NFF board, after an order from a Jos High Court had stopped the election which brought Pinnick to office on September 30, 2014 in Warri, Delta State. Giwa reportedly resumed at the Glasshouse with armed policemen to enforce the Supreme Court judgment. Giwa arrived at the NFF office around 11am and went straight to the offices to greet the staff on duty before addressing them in the boardroom. Read more

Enugu police rescue Mikel Obi’s father from abductors (Guardian)

The Police in Enugu State yesterday rescued Mikel Obi’s father, Pa Michael Obi and his driver, Ishaya John at a forest in Egede, Udi Local Council of the state. The Guardian learnt that Pa Obi and his driver were rescued unhurt about 2.30pm in the forest along the old Egede-Affa Road. A statement yesterday from the Enugu Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Ebere Amaraizu, said they were hale and hearty and that they have rejoined their families. He stated that they were abducted along the Makurdi-Enugu road on Friday afternoon on their way from Jos in a grey colored Toyota Prado jeep with registration number MUS 604 CG and taken to an unknown destination through the forest. It was further learnt that the abductors started calling to demand N10 million ransom before the operatives acting on intelligence information swooped on them where a gun duel ensued, forcing the hoodlums to abandon their victims in the forest. Read more

2018 Cadet World Wrestling Championships: Team Nigeria departs for Croatia (Vanguard)

Team Nigeria to the 2018 Cadet World Wrestling Championships will depart for Zagreb, Croatia via Turkish Airline at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, 8.30 p.m today. The contingent is made up of two female wrestlers :Sunmisola Balogun (65kg) and Esther Kolawole (61kg) and a coach. They are expected to arrive Zagred today for the competition which will run from July 2 to July 8. Balogun and Kolawole are the are the reigning African champions, having won gold at the 2018 African Championships in Port Harcourt in February. The two wrestlers hoped to make Nigeria proud at the event, designed for athletes between the 15 and 17 years and will be guided by Head Coach of the female national team, Purity Akuh. Balogun will open her campaign on July 4 after undergoing compulsory medical test and weigh-in same day while Kolawole will begin her quest for glory on July 5. Read more

Cesc Fabregas’ brutal reaction in the studio as Spain crash out of World Cup (Metro)

Russia produced the performance of the 2018 World Cup to knock Spain out of the tournament and progress through to the quarter-finals. Spain started positively and broke the deadlock as Sergei Ignashevich directed the ball into his own net in the 12th minute but the hosts found an equaliser just before half-time. A Russian header from a corner struck Gerard Pique’s outstretched arm inside the penalty area and Artem Dzyuba scored with the resulting spot-kick. Despite Fernando Hierro’s side having 79% of the possession at the Luzhniki Stadium, they were unable to penetrate Russia’s rigid defence and the first penalty shootout of the World Cup was called. Read more

Eric Cantona has absolutely rinsed Neymar, again (JOE)

Eric Cantona is one of football’s most charismatic characters. His unapologetic confidence, bordering on arrogance, makes him a polarising figure but those who like him love him and those who don’t, really don’t like him. But just as Manchester United fans pride themselves on the fact that their club is ‘hated, adored, never ignored’, Cantona embodies the same mantra. The Manchester United legend recently bodied Neymar on Instagram harder than an angry right-back, mocking his new hairstyle. It went down a storm, with thousands of fans piling in. Neymar then toned down his new haircut, though whether Cantona’s bodying was the prime reason behind it remains to be seen. Read more

Trump administration seeks to block China Mobile in the US (BBC)

The Trump administration has said it does not want one of the world’s biggest phone carriers, China Mobile, to provide telecom services within the US, citing national security concerns. State-owned China Mobile applied to the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for a licence to do so in 2011. But the US Department of Commerce has recommended the licence request be denied. The advice comes amid rising trade tensions between the US and China. “After significant engagement with China Mobile, concerns about increased risks to US law enforcement and national security interests were unable to be resolved,” said the assistant secretary for communications and information at the Commerce Department, David J Redl. Read more

UK vows to stamp out controversial ‘gay cure’ (9news)

Gay conversion therapy is the target of a UK government crackdown after the controversial practice was found to be more common than previously thought. Widely described as “gay cure”, the therapy attempts to change a person’s sexual orientation with psychological or spiritual interventions. But now British Prime Minister Theresa May has pledged to stamp it out as part of her government’s anti-discrimination offensive. The move comes after a survey of 108,000 LGBT+ individuals in the UK found the therapy more prevalent than previously thought. Read more

Trump administration seeks to block China Mobile in the US (BBC)

The Trump administration has said it does not want one of the world’s biggest phone carriers, China Mobile, to provide telecom services within the US, citing national security concerns. State-owned China Mobile applied to the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for a licence to do so in 2011. But the US Department of Commerce has recommended the licence request be denied. The advice comes amid rising trade tensions between the US and China. Read more

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *