August 14, 2018

* Mace saga: Ekweremadu’s wisdom saved day – Lawmaker (Guardian) * Try Senate invaders for Treason, says Secondus (ThisDay)

* Mace saga: Ekweremadu’s wisdom saved day – Lawmaker (Guardian)        * Try Senate invaders for Treason, says Secondus (ThisDay)

SABINEWS EVENING NEWS UPDATE APRIL 20, 2018

 

Mace saga: Ekweremadu’s wisdom saved day – Lawmaker (Guardian)

A member of House of Representatives, Rep. Joseph Akinlaja (Ondo-PDP), said Deputy President of the Senate, Mr Ike Ekweremadu’s wisdom saved Nigeria a greater embarrassment on Wednesday. Some hoodlums had on Wednesday broken into the Senate chamber while plenary was on, attacked some persons and made away with the mace. But rather than panicking and scampering at different directions, Ekweremadu, who was presiding, ordered that a back-up mace be brought and continued with the session. Read more

Try Senate invaders for Treason, says Secondus (ThisDay)

The National Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Uche Secondus, has demanded that all those found to be involved in the Wednesday’s invasion of the Senate and stealing its mace, should be tried for treason. The Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, while giving his account of the invasion of the Senate, alleged that security agents apparently colluded with the thugs to gain entrance to the legislative chambers to steal the mace. Read more

APC: elections’ll hold into all offices (Nation)

There will be elections into all offices during next month’s congresses and convention of the All Progressives Congress (APC), the party said yesterday. The party will retain its zoning formula, its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, told The Nation in Abuja. The party, he said, overruled Adamawa State Governor Jibrilla Bindow’s suggestion that there would be no elective congresses. According to him, there will be no tenure elongation for any officer. He said there was no cause for alarm on the notice sent to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) about congresses and convention. Read more

Osinbajo defends board action as Magu confirms role in suspension of NEMA Staff (ThisDay)

The acting Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr. Ibrahim Magu, thursday said the agency actually investigated and recommended the suspension of six senior staff of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA). This is as the Governing Council of the relief agency, chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo also defended its decision to heed the EFCC’s position by suspending the staff. Osinbajo, who was previously summoned by the House of Representatives Committee on Emergency and Disaster Preparedness over the issue was said to have mandated members of the Governing Council of NEMA to appear on his behalf and account for its stewardship. Read more

Senate invasion a threat to democracy – NLC (Nation)

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) said on Friday that Wednesday’s invasion of the Senate Chamber by suspected hoodlums was a violation of the nation’s security system and threat to the current democratic dispensation. In a statement signed by its president, Ayuba Wabba, NLC said the episode was an unfortunate reminder of the dark days which the nation should do without. The statement reads: “The invasion of the hallowed chamber of the Senate on Wednesday by hoodlums and miscreants who carted away the mace and other paraphernalia of authority is a violation of the sanctity of the Senate and constitutes a threat to our democracy. It represents a throw-back to those dark old days we are better off without. Read more

Assets recovery: Uba faults Uwajeh’s appointment (Guardian)

Sen. Andy Uba, representing Anambra South Senatorial District, has faulted the appointment of Mr. Victor Uwajeh, by the Federal Government as a consultant to trace and recover public funds. Mr. Anayo Adibe, Uba’s lawyer, in a statement issued on Friday in Abuja, expressed concern over Uwajeh’s appointment to recover assets. He said that his concern was hinged on the fact that there was a four-count charge against Uwajeh at the Federal High Court Abuja, which he was yet to clear. Read more

Sanusi orders probe into immorality at Kano viewing centre (Punch)

The Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi (II), has directed the Kano State Hisbah Board to investigate the alleged immorality by youths of Badawa, Kawo, Sauna and Haye in the Nassarawa Local Government Area of Kano State at a football viewing centre. The residents of the areas had complained to the monarch that the viewing centre, which was opened by one Anwulu Sankara, had become “a platform for immoral and criminal acts.” The residents, led by one Mohammed A-Hassan, further alleged that the sale and consumption of illegal substances, is also prevalent at the centre. Read more

Lagos community decries poor electricity (Nation)

Electricity consumers in Cardoso Awodi-Ora area of Ajegunle Apapa in Ajeromi Ifelodun Local Government Area, Lagos, on Friday decried the epileptic power supply, outrageous billing and dilapidated equipment in their community. They told our reporter in Lagos that the outrageous monthly bills received from Eko Electricity Distribution Company did not correspond with the supply given to the community. Mr Joseph Emmanuel, a resident of the area said that electricity consumers in the community were given crazy bills despite having poor electricity supply. “How can EKEDC be bringing between N27,000 and N30,000 to a three-bedroom flat in a month when the supply is just about six hours daily? Read more

FG moves to end rift among permanent secretaries, public officials (SUN)

The Federal Government of Nigeria has begun moves to end the perennial rifts between permanent secretaries and other stakeholders in public sector administration. The Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Mrs. Winifred Oyo-Ita, made the disclosure in her keynote address at an induction training programme organised for permanent secretaries in Abuja on Friday. She explained that the induction was part of government’s deliberate efforts to rebuild mutual trust and confidence among parties concerned, adding that it would enhance service delivery to Nigerians. Oyo-Ita said” Read more

NAGAFF urges FG over SON return to seaport (Nation)

The National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF) has urged the Federal Government to ensure the return of standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) to the seaport. The group wants SON back instead of the National Agency for Food and Drugs Administrative Control (NAFDAC) that was recently returned to the port. Dr. Boniface Aniebonam reacting to the spate of substandard items imported into the country told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Lagos that SON should be actively involved in the import inspection of goods and quality assessment at the ports. Read more

Another bloody day in Benue as Herdsmen kill 10 in Agasha (ThisDay)

An early hour attack on Agasha community in Guma Local Government Area of Benue State by suspected Fulani herdsmen thursday has led to the alleged killing of 10 residents of Agasha town. This is even as Naka town in Gwer West Local Government Area was razed down by angry soldiers who were protesting the killing of one of them by youths of the area. According to a local source, the herdsmen invaded the town from the neighbouring Nasarawa State and opened fire on the unsuspecting residents. He said 10 people were killed while several others sustained injuries. Read more

World Cup Favourites: Portugal coach writes off Nigeria (Nation)

Portugal head coach, Fernando Santos has written off Nigeria’s chances of advancing to the knockout stage of the 2018 World Cup. The Super Eagles were the first African side to qualify for the Mundial ahead of the four other representatives Senegal, Egypt, Morocco, and Tunisia. However, Morocco play in Group B alongside Portugal, Spain and Iran while the Nigeria face Croatia, Iceland and Argentina in Group D, but Santos does not feel both sides will progress from their respective groups. Read more

Queen Elizabeth publicly backs Prince Charles as the next Commonwealth Leader for the first time (People)

In a rare move, Queen Elizabeth publicly backed her son, Prince Charles, as the next Commonwealth leader. On Thursday, the monarch, who turns 92 on Saturday, formally asked the Commonwealth Heads of Government to appoint Charles as her successor of the association of Britain and its former colonies.  Queen Elizabeth has been the group’s symbolic figurehead since 1952. On Friday, leaders are expected to discuss who should follow her in the role. The position is not hereditary, but Prince Charles is expected to get the nod. (As the Queen’s firstborn, Charles is the hereditary heir to the British throne, which he will automatically inherit upon his mother’s death.) Read more

Zimbabwe parliament summons Mugabe on May 9 (Timeslive)

A Zimbabwe parliament committee has summoned former president Robert Mugabe to give evidence on May 9 over diamond corruption costing billions of dollars, underlining his fall from power after 37 years of autocratic rule. Mugabe, now 94, ruled Zimbabwe from 1980 until he was ousted last year after the military took over briefly and his once-loyal Zanu-PF party turned against him. “We have set May 9 as the date on which he will give evidence,” Temba Mliswa, the chairman of the mines and energy parliament committee, told Friday’s state-owned Herald newspaper. Read more

 

 

 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *