August 14, 2018

* Mace theft: Senate orders security officials to block Omo-Agege from chamber (Punch) * Businessman attacks Keyamo in court, says he’s a ‘sellout’ (Punch)

* Mace theft: Senate orders security officials to block Omo-Agege from chamber (Punch)             * Businessman attacks Keyamo in court, says he’s a ‘sellout’ (Punch)

SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE APRIL 21, 2018

 

Mace theft: Senate orders security officials to block Omo-Agege from chamber (Punch)

The Senate has directed security agencies to prevent the suspended Senator Ovie Omo-Agege from further gaining entrance into its chamber, Saturday PUNCH learnt on Friday. Omo-Agege, who was last week suspended by the Senate for dragging the upper legislative chamber to court on the amendment to the Electoral Act 2010, had attended plenary on Wednesday. He was, however, absent on Thursday. The lawmaker’s emergence at the chamber had occurred same time when suspected thugs invaded the Senate chamber while plenary was ongoing and made away with the mace. Speaking to one of our correspondents on Friday, the Vice-Chairman of the Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Ben Murray-Bruce, disclosed that the sergeants-at-arm and security personnel had been ordered to block the lawmaker whenever he tries to enter the chamber. Read more

Businessman attacks Keyamo in court, says he’s a ‘sellout’ (Punch)

An Anambra businessman, Bobby Uzochukwu, on Friday attacked Mr. Festus Keyamo (SAN), on the premises of the Anambra State Federal High Court, Awka, accusing him of “selling out” by accepting to serve as the spokesman of President Muhammadu Buhari’s 2019 re-election bid. The SAN was recently appointed the Director, Strategic Communications for President Muhammadu Buhari’s 2019 presidential campaigns. Keyamo, who was the counsel for a defendant in the August 6, 2017 killings at St Philip’s Catholic Church, Ozubulu, Anambra State, was addressing the press at the court complex when the businessman verbally attacked him, calling him unprintable names. Read more

Buhari’ll get amended constitution soon –Rep (Punch)

A member representing Oshodi/Isolo Federal Constituency of Lagos State in the House of Representatives, Tony Nwulu, on Thursday disclosed that the National Assembly would transmit the amended constitution to President Muhammadu Buhari “in a couple of days.” Nwulu, who is the sponsor of the Not-Too-Young-To-Run Bill in the House of Representatives, disclosed this in an interview with State House correspondents after joining a delegation of the Not-Too-Young-To-Run campaigners to visit Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. Read more

Gov poll: Politicians are threatening my life, says Ekiti REC (Punch)

The Resident Electoral Commissioner in Ekiti State, Prof. Abdulganiyu Raji, has raised the alarm over alleged threat to his life by persons yet unknown. He said he had been receiving strange calls from all manner of people who kept threatening his life, if he failed to do certain things. Raji said, “Most of these threats are from elders alleging that we are one-sided. “But they have forgotten that there are two sides to a coin, if you don’t want INEC to do some things, you too must be cautious. How could a party go and induce INEC members of staff? This is unacceptable. “We will use over 10,000 youth corps members for this election, can all of them be saints? Some will misbehave but we have to use an appropriate way to deal with them. Read more

UNICEF identifies 240,000 out-of-school children in 3 LGAs in Zamfara (Nation)

The United Nation Children Education Fund (UNICEF) said it had identified 240,560 out-of-school children in three Local Government Areas of the state. The affected local government areas are Bukkuyum, Maradun and Zurmi. The Chief of UNICEF in charge of Sokoto Field office, Mohameden Fall disclosed this on Friday in Zurmi at the launching of cash transfer disbursement to parents of affected children under the UNICEF’s Educate a Child (EAC) project. He said the number was derived from the household mapping and listing of out-of-school children conducted in 2016 through the state Universal Basic Education Board when the number of out-of-school children was identified in the three LGAs. Read more

Nigeria’s debt level under control – Adeosun tells IMF (Nation)

In spite of the warning by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) that debt levels in African economies were rising, Minister of Finance, Mrs Kemi Adeosun on Friday said Nigeria’s debt level was still sustainable and under control. Speaking to newsmen on the sideline of the G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors meetings at the ongoing 2018 IMF and World Bank meetings in Washington DC, Adeosun said Nigeria had nothing to worry about. “It is correct that debt levels in low income countries is a threat but Nigeria is better described as a middle income country. Read more

PDP wants INEC to make public status of polling units in Nigeria (Guardian)

Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has called on Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to make public the location and status of polling units across the country. The party made the call in a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Mr Kola Ologbondiyan, on Friday in Abuja. PDP alleged that INEC was secretly planning to create 30,000 illegal polling units in compromised areas in favour of All Progressives Congress (APC). The party alleged that there were series of “clandestine meetings’’ between “compromised officials of INEC and certain agents of APC.’’ Read more

Stop mistaking me for NASS on Twitter, Qatari man begs Nigerians (Punch)

A Qatari man, Nasser Al-Saadi, has asked Nigerian Twitter users to stop  mentioning him in their tweets directed at the National Assembly.

Al-Saadi took to his Twitter handle, @Nass, which seems similar to the Twitter handle of the Nigerian National Assembly @nassnigeria, to make the plea on Thursday. He tweeted; “Nigerians, please pay attention to the username you are mentioning in your tweets. @Nass is an individual who lives in #Qatar and has nothing to do with politics. The correct handle of your National Assembly #NASS is @nassnigeria …Retweet to make sure Nigerians know. Thanks.” Read more

Wike to commission 34 projects to mark 3rd anniversary (Guardian)

The Rivers State government said on Friday it had earmarked 34 projects for inauguration to mark Gov. Nyesom Wike’s 3rd anniversary celebration. The State Commissioner for Information, Mr Emmah Okah disclosed this while briefing journalists after the State Executive Council meeting in Port Harcourt. Okah noted that all the 34 projects were at their final stages of completion. The commissioner said that council committee had set up a committee for the disbursement of the monthly N200 million interest free loans for traders and young entrepreneurs. He said that the state government had called on all interested traders and youths to avail themselves of the opportunity and secure the loan to boost their businesses. Read more

Merchants of mischief faked Zahra Buhari’s Facebook account — Femi Adesina (Punch)

The Presidency on Friday alerted Nigerians on what it called a fake Facebook account created in the name of President Muhammadu Buhari’s daughter, Zahra. The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, in a statement said those he described as “merchants of mischief” we’re responsible for the development. By creating the fake account, Adesina said those behind it only took their antics against the first family further. The presidential spokesman said those behind it sought to attract odium to the first family, adding that they do not mean well for the country. Read more

Police promote Magu, others (Punch)

The Police Service Commission has promoted 18 senior police officers to their next ranks, including AIG Agbola Oshodi-Glover in charge of Zone 11, Osogbo, who is now a Deputy Inspector-General of Police. The commission also elevated the Commissioner of Police, Administration, Force Headquarters, Ghazzali Mohammed and Peace Abdallah, former Commissioner of Police, Ebonyi State Command and currently , CP, Force Intelligence Bureau,  Force Headquarters, to Assistant Inspector-General of Police. A statement on Friday in Abuja by the commission spokesman, Ikechukwu Ani, said that acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission,DCP Ibrahim Magu, DCP Ebere Onyeagoro, DCP Administration, Kaduna State Command and DCP Moshood Gbolarumi, DCP Maritime, Lagos, were promoted to Commissioner of Police. Read more

I am not a murderer – Ibinabo …as the past tackles her on political aspiration (Punch)

As beauty queen and film-maker, Ibinabo Fiberesima, indicates her intention to contest local government election in Rivers State, some Nigerians have begun to challenge her. They are particularly questioning her role in a 2006 road crash in which a medical doctor, Suraj Giwa, was killed. Journalist and critic, Azuka Jebose, invoked history in a Facebook post in which he noted that it was immoral for Fiberesima to launch a political career while she had yet to wash her hands clean of crime. Jebose told her she owed Nigerians an apology. Read more

Man attempts suicide in Police custody (Punch)

An Osogbo Magistrates’ Court in Osun State on Friday remanded a 23-year-old man, Andrew Peter, in Ilesa Prison over alleged attempted suicide while in police custody. The Magistrate, Mr Olusegun Ayilara, ordered the defendant to be kept in prison due to the magnitude of the offence involved. The Prosecutor, Insp Lamidi Rasaki, had told the court that the defendant, who was arrested and detained for alleged theft of a cell phone, committed the offence in April at Okefia area of Osogbo. Read more

Gay: I paid Justin £75,000 to keep quiet – Fashanu (Punch)

John Fashanu has said he paid his late brother Justin £75,000 not to reveal he was gay, PA Sport reports. Justin, who played for Norwich and Nottingham Forest in the 1980s, came out before he took his own life in May 1998 at the age of 37. As the 20th anniversary of his death approaches, John admitted he had acted like “a monster” to his older brother and now wants the Football Association to do more to support gay footballers and tackle racist and anti-gay abuse. Read more

Arsenal fans push for renaming of Emirates Stadium (Nation)

A petition has started to rename the Emirates as ‘Arsene Wenger Stadium’. As the tributes continue to pour in for Wenger following his impending departure after 22 years as Arsenal boss, some want permanent recognition of his contribution to the club. The longest serving Arsenal boss steered the team to unparalleled success during his tenure. With more than 800 Premier League games to his name and 10 major trophies, Wenger has become synonymous with the north London club. And the movement to rename Emirates Stadium in his honour is already gathering pace. Read more

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho makes Alexis Sanchez promise (Manchestereveningnews)

Jose Mourinho insists Manchester United had to sign Alexis Sanchez in January otherwise the Chilean would never have joined the club. Sanchez moved from Arsenal in a swap deal involving Henrikh Mkhitaryan in the winter transfer window after United gazumped Manchester City, but the Chilean has struggled to perform in his 13 starts. The 29-year-old has managed just two goals against Huddersfield and Swansea and, although he had a pivotal impact in the second-half comeback at City, Sanchez was poor in the following week’s defeat to West Brom. Read more

Arsenal suffer blow as ‘AC Milan lead chase for Gunners target Bernard’ with Chelsea and Liverpool also keen (Mirror)

Arsenal have suffered a blow as AC Milan appear to be the front runners to sign target Bernard from Shakhtar Donetsk. The Gunners had shown an interest in the Brazilian, whose contract will expire at the end of the season, but the Rossoneri are now favourites to secure the former Atletico Mineiro star’s signature, report Italian broadcaster Premium Sport. The 25-year-old has enjoyed a fine season for the Ukrainian outfit, scoring 10 and assisting four more goals. Chelsea and Liverpool are also in the hunt, but Milan now appear to be his most likely destination. Read more

Archbishop in Pakistan appeals for prayers after another attack on Christians (Premier)

A leading Pakistan bishop has appealed for prayer after Christians in Quetta suffered their third attack in five months. Two Christians, Rashid Khalid and Azhar Iqbal, and three others were injured after four attackers on motorbikes started shooting at people near a church in Quetta’s Essa Nagri Christian neighbourhood.  The attack, last Sunday came nearly two weeks after a family of four Catholics from Lahore were gunned down outside a relative’s house during an Easter visit to the city. The men, Parvaiz, Kamran, Tariq and Fordous, had reportedly just stepped outside to buy ice cream when they were targeted. Read more

North Korea announces it will stop all nuclear tests and missile launches (Independent)

North Korea has said it will halt missile and nuclear tests, fulfilling a pledge made by leader Kim Jong-un ahead of a meeting with Donald Trump. The promised cessation, reported by North Korean state media, represented another apparent concession as the country manoeuvres ahead of the landmark summit. Mr Kim also said North Korea would be shutting down a test site. South Korea’s president earlier this week said Mr Kim had embraced denuclearising without demanding the withdrawal of US troops from the Korean Peninsula.

Mr Trump heralded the development on Twitter as “very good news for North Korea and the World”. Read more

Israeli military shoots dead two Palestinians after dropping leaflets on Gaza warning against border protests (Independent)

Israeli troops have shot dead two Palestinians during the latest border protests, after dropping leaflets over Gaza urging demonstrators to “stay away”. Gaza’s health ministry said 40 protesters were injured after snipers opened fire as thousands of Palestinians took part in rallies for the fourth week amid heightened tensions in the region. Earlier on Friday, Israeli military aircraft dropped leaflets warning Palestinians’ lives would be in danger if they did not keep away from the Israel-Gaza frontier. Read more

Stuck in Jamaica: ‘My pension, my house and my kids are in the UK’ (Guardian)

Everyone in Jamaica knows someone who “lives in foreign” – the Jamaican expression for abroad. There have been generations of children who have been left at home with family members as their parents went to work in the UK, the US or Canada just to be able to provide for them. Later on, they were often sent for, once people’s papers were in order. But even before the Windrush revelations, the prevailing mood was that the mother country was far from accommodating to this side of the family. Icilda Williams left Jamaica for the UK in May 1962, a few months before the island went from a colony to an independent nation. Read more

 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *