Femi Falana, Human rights lawyer, in response to the sack of former DSS boss, Lawal Daura, has urged the Nigeria government to look into the alleged human rights violations committed by him
During his 3-year tenure, Daura was accused of many human rights violations, which the human rights lawyer pointed out. They include:
1. The maltreatment of Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, the leader of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), whom Daura kept detained despite a court order which compelled his release.
2. The illegal detention of many detainees, including Zamfara legislators, two Indian nationals, politicians, student leaders, journalists among others.
3. Daura prevented the federal government from complying with court orders to release Sambo Dasuki, former National Security Adviser, Ibrahim Elzakzaky and his wife, Zeinab Elzakzaky.
4. He housed the fugitive, Abdurasheed Maina.
5. He countermanded the nominations of the President and colluded with fifth columnists to sabotage the democratic process.
Falana added that allegations of human rights violations, abuse of office and corruption, which marred Daura’s tenure should be fully investigated.”
Matthew Seiyefa has, however, been appointed as the new acting Director General.