March 22, 2019

Mass shootings at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand

Mass shootings at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand

 

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced 40 people have been killed; and at least 20 injured, in Friday’s attacks on two Christchurch mosques. Ardern described the incident as a terrorist attack.

 

Here’s what we know so far:

 

  • Beginning at about 1.40 p.m. local time, armed gunmen attacked two mosques in Christchurch, killing dozens of people.

 

  • Police quickly locked down the city in response, including schools and government buildings. Within hours, police said four people were taken into custody — three men and one woman.

 

  • In a social media post just before the attack, an account that is believed to belong to one of the attackers posted a link to an 87-page manifesto that was filled with anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim ideas and explanations for an attack.

 

  • According to Ardern, bombs were found attached to the attackers’ cars. They have since been disarmed by New Zealand’s armed forces.

 

  • One of the attacks appears to have been streamed live on social media. The graphic video has since been removed and police are requesting that people refrain from sharing it.

 

  • Little is known about the attackers so far. At least one has been confirmed as an Australian citizen, while witnesses said one of the attackers was white and wearing a uniform. Ardern confirmed the attackers were not on security watch lists.

 

  • The lockdown on Christchurch schools has now been lifted and children are back with their parents.

 

  • Police are expected to speak again within an hour.

Lilian Osigwe Editor

A Creative and Versatile Writer.  
Currently writes for SabiNews Media

follow me

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *