The proposed strike that was meant to commence on Tuesday, November 6 due to the failure of the Federal Government (FG) to implement an upward review of the new national minimum wage has been cancelled.
This announcement was made in Abuja very late on Monday night by the Chairman of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Ayuba Wabba, after a very lengthy meeting involving various stakeholders and members of the tripartite committee.
“The tripartite negotiating committee, as rightly put by the chairperson, has, this period, concluded its assignment; agreements have been reached, and also documents have been signed,” Wabba said.
“The report will be submitted to Mr. President tomorrow by 4:15 pm. Therefore, organised labour, we want to use this medium to thank all the tripartite partners for their understanding, and importantly for concluding this important national assignment.
“And having reached this position, and also the fact that the assignment has been concluded, the organised labour also decided that the proposed strike action is hereby suspended.”
The Chairman of the committee, Ama Pepple, also added, “I am happy to report to you that we have concluded our assignment and we will submit our report to the President by 4.15 pm on Tuesday.
“We will reveal the figure at the presentation.”
The Minister of Labour, Chris Ngige, also corroborated what Pepple said by disclosing the new figure would be made public after a meeting with the President.
Neither party disclosed to the media exactly what agreement had been reached.