Sabinews Morning News Update for March 10, 2016
‘$1m not found in Badeh’s house’
A lawyer to the immediate past Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshal Alex Badeh (retd.), Samuel O. Zibri (SAN), has faulted a report that $1m was found in the former CDS’s house.
The lawyer, in a statement in Abuja, said, “The publication is not only malicious but wicked. It is totally false and smacks of media campaign of calumny against the person of Air Marshal Alex Badeh, (retd,). Read more
Fleeing Boko Haram members regrouping in Taraba — Senate
THE Senate, yesterday, said that fleeing members of Boko Haram sect have infiltrated towns and villages in Taraba State, in the North Central geo-political zone of the country. Consequently, the Senate called on the Federal Government to urgently call on security chiefs to deploy securitymen in Taraba State to stop the killings and flush the insurgents out of the state. Read more
National Council on Health Meeting Commences in Sokoto
Stakeholders in the Health Sector have converged in the ancient city of Sokoto for the 58th National Council on Health (NCH).
The Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Health, Dr. Amina Shamaki said that the purpose of NCH meeting was to discuss issues on health policy making nationwide. Read more
Nigeria, US, GE Launch $20 Million Women’s Health Initiative
As part of efforts to boost healthcare provision for women in Nigeria, the country’s government and United States in partnership with General Electric (GE) have launched a new mother-and-child health initiative that would expand access to pre-natal screenings to more than two million expectant mothers across Nigeria by 2020.
The ‘Healthymagination Mother and Child Initiative’ will help reduce preventable mother and infant deaths. The $20 million endeavour will also address maternal and child health challenges among health workers in Nigeria by training midwives, nurses, and other health professionals in the use of the portable ultrasound (Vscan Access) screening tool to determine at-risk pregnancies. Read more
Kanu alleges judge’s bias, seeks case transfer again
Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, and his co-accused, David Nwawusi and Benjamin Madubugwu, have levelled allegation of bias against Justice James Tsoho, before whom they are being prosecuted at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
Kanu and his two co-defendants are being prosecuted on six counts of treasonable felony, unlawful possession of firearms and other offences bordering on their agitation for secession of the Republic of Biafra from Nigeria. Read more
CBN, banks to step up fraudsters’ prosecution
The Central Bank of Nigeria and Deposit Money Banks have said effective prosecution of fraudsters will be their focus this year.
Speaking under the aegis of the Nigerian Electronic Fraud Forum, they also promised to continue to secure electronic payment platforms and protect customer information. Read more
33 docked over Mile 12 riots
Thirty-three persons were, yesterday, arraigned before a Chief Magistrate’s Court sitting in Ikeja, Lagos, over the recent Mile 12 riots. It would be recalled that over four people lost their lives, while properties worth millions of Naira were destroyed in riots that broke out in Agiliti area of Ketu, Mile 12, last week. Read more
Senate to Grill Communications Minister, Others over MTN Fine
The Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu will this Thursday appear before the Senate Committee on Communications to clarify the controversies surrounding the N1.04 trillion fine imposed on MTN by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).
Shittu is also required to provide explanation on why the N50 billion initial payment made by MTN was paid into the federal government dedicated account. Read more
Alleged mastermind of Agip pipeline attack arraigned
The alleged mastermind of the bombing of a crude oil delivery line belonging to Nigerian Agip Oil Company, NAOC, in Southern Ijaw Local Governemnt Area of Bayelsa State, “Gen” Pastor Oyere has been charged to court. The suspect, an ex-militant leader, was arraigned before a Federal High Court sitting in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, by the Federal Government. Read more
MPC member urges CBN to devalue naira
A member of the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), Adedoyin Salami, has advised the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to devalue the naira.
According to the minutes of the MPC released yesterday, he argued that the naira should be devalued and allowed to trade within a band, saying the fixed exchange rate would not work alongside a planned rise in government borrowing. Read more
Nigeria GDP declines to 2.11%
Nigeria’s real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth rate slowed to 2.11 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2015, according to the quarterly release from the Nigerian Bureau of Statistics (NBS) on Wednesday, According to NBS, the figure is lower by 0.73 per cent points from growth recorded in the preceding quarter and also lower by 3.83 per cent points from growth recorded in the corresponding quarter of 2014. Read more
BoI accredits 11 partners to implement YES scheme
The Bank of Industry (BoI) has accredited eleven Enterprise Development Centres and capacity building consultants to implement the bank’s Youth Entrepreneurship Support (YES) Programme. The partners include Pan-Atlantic University Enterprise Development Centre, Leap Africa, After School Graduate Development Centre, Fate Foundation and African Community Bridge Foundation, among others. Read more
FG to raise N100bn in local currency denominated bonds
In pursuit of its borrowing plans for budget deficit funding, the Debt Management Office, DMO, yesterday, said it would raise N100 billion in local currency denominated bonds on behalf of the government next week. CBN Governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele This came against the plan to raise about N390 billion in total local borrowing by end of this quarter, less than three weeks from now. This is also expected to be tied to the total borrowing plan for N984 billion local bond issue in 2016 fiscal plan. Read more
27 firms raise NSE capitalisation by N45bn
The gains recorded by 27 stocks on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange on Wednesday boosted the NSE market capitalisation by N45bn.
The market capitalisation closed on Wednesday at N8.904tn, higher than N8.859tn recorded after the close of trading on Tuesday. Read more
Fallen Naira: FG vows to prosecute indicted regulators
Worried over the state of the nation’s currency, the Federal Government yesterday took a swipe at regulators in the country with a vow to bring to book any regulator that is indicted in the declining value of the nation’s currency irrespective of who the person or group of persons are. Speaking while addressing journalists in Abuja yesterday, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), also ordered the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to conduct a full scale investigation in a bid to bring all defaulters to book. Read more
Oil and Gas
Oil Workers Embark on Indefinite Strike over NNPC’s Restructuring
Workers of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) under the auspices of the two major unions, the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) and the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), yesterday started a nationwide strike, protest against the federal government’s restructuring of the state-run oil firm.
The action, which started with the total shutdown of operations at the corporate headquarters of NNPC wednesday morning, was initiated by the branches of both unions. Read more
Nigeria Loses 300,000bpd to Attack on Forcados Pipeline
Nigeria is losing about 300,000 barrels of crude oil per day due to the bombing of Forcados pipeline that conveys Forcados grade of crude oil to the over 400,000 barrels per day Forcados Export Terminal, one of the country’s biggest export terminals in the Western Niger Delta, THISDAY’s investigation has revealed.
The loss, which translates to an average of $12 million daily at an oil price of $40 per barrel, arose from the damage caused on the 48-inch underwater pipeline, which disrupted crude oil flows to the export terminal. Read more
Unbundling NNPC is not an option for PIB, says auditor
Splitting the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) into several companies may not address the problem of lack of clarity in the fiscal terms, Oil and Gas Auditor, John Adidi, has said
Adidi, who spoke to The Nation on telephone, said when the laws guiding the industry, including the fiscal regime for the Joint Ventures (JV) and the Production Sharing Contracts (PSCs), were not made clear, it would not bring foreign investors back, adding it should rather be a reform. Read more
Expert seeks finance devt bank for power sector
The Group Managing Director of CFL Group of Companies, Mr. Lai Omotola, has canvassed the establishment of a finance development bank for the power sector to address the frequent changes in electricity tariffs.
He said the recently approved 45 percent increase in electricity tariff by the Federal Government not not the answer to the crisis in the power sector. Omotola attributed the increase to the failure of indigenous companies that bought the nation’s power assets to source for the technical partners that could bring in some equities. Read more
Power Supply Drops to 1580.6MW
Electricity generation profile in the country Wednesday dropped to 1580.6 megawatts (MW) following a suspected partial systems collapse.
Sources in two of the 11 electricity distribution companies (Discos) told THISDAY that load allocation to them had drastically dropped following the generation dip. Read more
PSG Dumps Chelsea Out of Champions League
Chelsea’s Champions League hopes were ended by Paris St-Germain at the last-16 stage once more as Zlatan Ibrahimovic inspired the French champions to victory at Stamford Bridge last Wednesday night.
PSG built on their 2-1 lead from the first leg when Ibrahimovic crossed perfectly for Adrien Rabiot to score from close range after 16 minutes. Read more
New contract: Mikel puts Chelsea talks on hold
Nigerian international, John Obi Mikel is not willing to negotiate any new deal with Chelsea until the end of the season, according to Metro.co.uk.
The 28-year-old was confined to the bench by former manager, Jose Mourinho as the Portuguese preferred Serbian Nemanja Vidic and former Arsenal Captain Cesc Fabregas as his midfield combo. Read more
Siasia Banks on Ighalo to Deliver against Egypt
Despite having failed to find the back of the net in his last seven matches, Nigeria caretaker coach Samson Siasia has expressed confidence in the abilities of striker Odion Ighalo to hit the mark against Egypt when they play their 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying double-header this month.
The 26-year-old Watford man has not scored since January’s goal against Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup. But Siasia is not worried ahead the pair of matches against the Pharaohs. Read more
Dream Team fall 0-2 to Eagles
A home-based Super Eagles scored two quick goals to defeat the country’s Olympic side 2-0 in a test game played in Abuja on Tuesday. Eagles The Eagles are preparing for an AFCON double-header against Egypt, while the Nigeria U23s are also getting set to battle Rio Olympics hosts Brazil in a friendly on March 24. Read more
NFF President Lauds Mimiko, Moves AGM to Ondo
Ondo State Governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko, has been commended by the President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Amaju Pinnick for his support towards football development in the state, even as the state has been announced as the choice host of the federation’s 2016 Annual General Meeting (AGM).
Pinnick gave the commendation yesterday at the International Conference Centre in Akure during the unveiling of programmes of the academy wing of the Ondo State Football Agency, (OSFA). Read more
Tunisia death toll rises to 55 after clashes near Libyan border
THE death toll from clashes between Tunisian forces and extremist attackers near the Libyan border has risen to 55, according to the country’s prime minister Habid Essid.
Mr Essid said 36 attackers, seven civilians and 12 members of Tunisia’s security forces died and 17 others were injured. Read more
Sudan tells US to ‘shut up’ or ratify Rome Statute
The US should ratify the statute of the International Criminal Court (ICC) or just “shut up”, Sudan has declared in a statement.
The Sudanese Embassy in Jakarta published the statement on Tuesday in response to a statement issued on Monday by the US Embassy in Jakarta, which expressed concern over Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir’s attendance at the fifth Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) Extraordinary Summit on Sunday and Monday. Read more
Cairo blast wounds 3 people
Three people were wounded in an explosion in the Egyptian capital, Sputnik reported with the reference to the local media.
The explosion took place on Wednesday in the Giza suburb of Cairo, hitting a police armored vehicle, according to the Al-Youm al-Sabea online newspaper. Read more
More tourists to visit Middle East and North Africa
The number of international tourists to the Middle East and North Africa will triple to 195 million in 2030 despite concerns over security, the head of the United Nations tourism body said.
The region’s tourism sector – a key source of jobs and foreign currency – has repeatedly bounced back after attacks by extremists that frightened off visitors, said Taleb Rifai, secretary general of the UN World Tourism Organisation. Read more
Two Italian hostages in Libya freed; two others die
Two of four Italian construction workers who were kidnapped in Libya in July are back home, Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni told parliament Wednesday, but the other two are dead.
Workers Filippo Calcagno and Gino Pollicardo were freed last Friday and are in Italy with family, Gentiloni said. Contrary to media reports, no ransom was paid, the foreign minister said. Read more
North Korea Fires Test Missiles, Defying U.N. Ban
North Korea flouted United Nations resolutions on Thursday by launching two ballistic missiles toward the sea between the Korean Peninsula and Japan, the South Korean military said in a statement.
The two projectiles, believed to be Scud-C missiles, took off from a site south of Pyongyang, the North Korean capital, and flew across the peninsula before crashing into the sea off the North’s east coast, the statement said. They flew about 310 miles. Read more
Austria says closure of Balkan route is ‘permanent’ – ‘Welt’ newspaper
South-eastern Europe’s “Balkan route”, the main passage for migrants to reach more affluent countries to the north, will remain closed permanently, Austria’s Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner told German newspaper “Die Welt” on Thursday.
On Wednesday, Macedonia sealed its border with Greece to illegal migrants after Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia, which are on the way to Austria, announced tight new restrictions on migrant entry. Read more
Savchenko trial: Calls grow for release of Ukraine pilot
Western politicians have urged Russia to release Ukrainian officer Nadiya Savchenko, who is on trial in Russia.
EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said she should be freed “immediately and unconditionally”. Read more
Former Brazilian President Lula Is Facing Money Laundering Charges
Charges are being filed against former Brazilian President Lula da Silva amid a massive corruption investigation in the country, the BBC reports.
Lula and his wife are among sixteen people facing allegations of money laundering as part of a larger inquiry into the state oil company Petrobras. In the former President’s case, the case concerns a waterfront penthouse he purportedly bought at a high-class resort. Read more
Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders grapple over immigration
Just one day after Bernie Sanders pulled off a historic upset over Hillary Clinton in the Michigan presidential primary, the pair did battle in a Democratic debate in Miami hosted by Univision andthe Washington Post.
While it was only Democrats at the debate, the shadow of Republican front-runner Donald Trump loomed large over the stage. Mr Sanders mentioned him in his opening remarks and the second question to the candidates was about Mr Trump’s character. Read more
Venezuela withdraws top diplomat in Washington
President Nicolas Maduro on Wednesday announced that Venezuela’s top diplomat in Washington would be called back to Caracas to protest the decision to renew a U.S. decree imposing sanctions on several top officials from the South American country.
The two nations haven’t exchanged ambassadors since 2010 and Maximilien Sanchez Arvelaiz had been Venezuela’s acting charge d’affaires in the U.S. capital. Read more