The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission on Tuesday explained why it decided not to allow any increase in electricity tariff for all categories of consumers, which would have commenced in June this year.
According to NERC, one of the reasons is that power supply has not improved as anticipated.
It said that although it had earlier in the year announced that the tariff would rise from June, the decision was put on hold due to the emergence of a new administration.
The commission also explained that a new model for electricity tariff was being put in place by power distribution companies, but stressed that the new rates would be announced after the Discos had completed consultations with their various customers.
The Chairman, NERC, Dr. Sam Amadi, said this on the sidelines of a public hearing on the minor review of the Multi Year Tariff Order 2 at the head office of the commission in Abuja. Read more