August 14, 2018

* Nigeria can’t survive another 4 years of APC — Secondus (SUN) * Why we can’t probe Mantu over rigging –INEC (Punch)

* Nigeria can’t survive another 4 years of APC — Secondus (SUN)               * Why we can’t probe Mantu over rigging –INEC (Punch)

SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE APRIL 8, 2018

 

Nigeria can’t survive another 4 years of APC — Secondus (SUN)

The National Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Uche Secondus, yesterday, said Nigeria cannot survive another four years of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC). Consequently, Secondus urged Nigerians to vote out the ruling party in next year’s general elections. A statement by his Special Assistant on Media, Ike Abonyi, said he made the call while addressing party members and supporters at a rally organised by the North-west zone of the party in Katsina State to formally welcome decamping members to the party. He said Nigerians canno longer endure the hunger and hardship brought about by the APC-led Federal Government. Read more

Why we can’t probe Mantu over rigging –INEC (Punch)

The Independent National Electoral Commission has said it cannot investigate a former Deputy Senate President, Ibrahim Mantu, who recently confessed to rigging previous elections in the country in favour of the People’s Democratic Party. The Electoral Act (Sections 149 and 150), gives INEC powers to prosecute electoral offenders but does not give the commission the power to make arrests and investigate electoral crimes. The Director of Publicity and Voter Education, Mr. Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi, told one of our correspondents on Saturday that “if any security agency sends a report to the commission regarding Mantu’s claim, then INEC will take action.” Read more

Ajimobi, Ganduje, Okorocha meet state APC chairs to stop Oyegun (Punch)

There are strong indications that state chairmen of the All Progressives Congress have made a U-turn on their initial position that members of the party’s National Working Committee should be given a one-year tenure extension. Sunday punch gathered on Saturday that state governors had already reached out to the APC chairmen in their states to back the decision they reached with President Muhammadu Buhari on the need to hold congresses where new party officials would be elected. The state chairmen and other officials, who are members of the National Executive Committee, started arriving in Abuja on Friday evening ahead of Monday’s NEC meeting. Read more

How N671m APC funds were moved into private accounts (Nation)

It is now clear why   more members of the National Executive Council of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) backed out of the tenure elongation gambit championed by the party leadership. It followed the unearthing of the party’s financial records indicating a breach of all known rules and personalization of party funds in “the most opaque manner.” A top leader of the party allegedly authorized the disbursement of party funds into personal account of another senior member of the NEC. It was discovered that savings of over N1b handed over in 2014 by the interim executive headed by Chief Bisi Akande was “hastily decimated without care for transparency.” Read more

Buhari didn’t consult NASS before approving $1bn for arms purchase — Saraki (Vanguard)

Senate President Bukola Saraki said, yesterday, that President Muhammadu Buhari did not consult with the leadership of the National Assembly before the executive approved the release of $1 billion  for the purchase of arms  to fight insecurity in the country. Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan Ali, had, last week, said,  Buhari gave approval for the purchase of  equipment for the military worth $1 billion. Saraki also said that the leadership of the National Assembly was not aware of the  plan by the executive to get  N4.2 billion  bonds until the  President  wrote to the Senate  and  the House of Representatives  seeking approval for the issuance of promissory note to offset inherited local debts. Read more

83 million Nigerians poor under PDP, APC, says ANRP (Guardian)

The Abundant Nigeria Renewal Party (ANRP) has declared that the bad leadership witnessed in the country since 1999 brought about the new global index that over 83 million Nigerians are living below poverty level. The party blamed the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and the All
Progressives Congress (APC) for the high level of poverty in the
country, as a result of corruption. Speaking in Ado Ekiti, yesterday, during the party’s congress, the National Chairman, Mr. Tope Fasua, said ANRP was consummated by those he described as ‘revolutionists’ to take over leadership and heal leadership failure brought to the fore by PDP and APC.
 Read more

Buhari meets Ondo monarchs, sues for Peace (Guardian)

Ahead 2019 general elections, President Muhammadu Buhari has urged Nigerians to shun politics of bitterness and embrace peace, so as to consolidate on the gains of democracy. Buhari said this, yesterday, through the former governor of Abia State and Chairman, Advisory Board of the National Movement for Re-election of President Muhammadu Buhari, Dr. Urji Uzor Kalu, during a meeting with Ondo State monarchs.  Kalu, who was at the palace of Deji of Akure, Oba Aladelusi Aladetoyinbo on Friday and the Osemawe of Ondo, Oba Victor Kiladejo, lamented that some people are stoking enmity against the Federal Government. Read more

We must unite to move forward —Bode George (Tribune)

Virtually all the state chapters of the PDP in the South-West are going through one fiorm of crisis or another. What do you think is the problem? There are no serious problems per se. It is the manner of politics, but I think we need to get our acts together and move forward. We must unite now in the overall interest of the country. Another four years for the present Federal Government won’t be in the interest of Nigerians. Therefore, all of  us in the PDP must  sink our differences, forget the past so that we can team with other well-meaning Nigerians to rescue the ship of the country. We must do way with all forms of imposition, illegal activities and overbearing attitudes. I have told the national chairman, Chief Uche Secondus, that he has talked the talk and that he must walk the talk. Read more

Ekiti 2018: We won’t favour any candidate –APC (SUN)

The All Progressives Congress in Ekiti State has assured that there would be fair play in the governorship primary of the party holding on May 5. The party gave the assurance against the background of the apprehension among the aspirants over the aspiration of the Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dr Kayode Fayemi to join the governorship race. The Deputy Chairman of the party, Mrs Kemi Olaleye,  gave the assurance in Ado Ekiti when an aspirant, Kayode Ojo, visited the APC secretariat to unveil his interest in the contest. Olaleye said: “We want to say without equivocation that every eligible aspirant will be given a level playing ground. Chief John Odigie Oyegun gave this assurance during his visit to Ekiti on March 9 and I am reemphasizing that there is no cause for alarm.” Read more

Ooni of Ife’s elder brother, Tunji Ogunwusi, in debt crisis (ThisDay)

It is not only boys that are not smiling, a reminder of that lingo made popular by a Nigerian rapper; some acclaimed millionaires can’t even afford a smile, as much as they can’t afford a good sleep. This is the lot of Prince Adetunji Ogunwusi, the elder brother of Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Ogunwusi. Some years back, when defaulting on bank loans did not occasion countless sleepless nights, the property mogul got a multi-million naira loan from Skye Bank through his company, Prime Waterview. The economy was still buoyant and nothing in the forecast showed that the business he invested the money in would tank atrociously. Well, it did. Read more

The looters’ list (SUN)

The current national hullabaloo over the list of corrupt officials published by the Federal Government arose from the government’s repeated accusation of the principal opposition political party, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), as corrupt, and the opposition’s challenge that the government should publish and shame those “looters.” Picking the gauntlet, therefore, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, proceeded to publish the list of the treasury looters, last week, an action which has since generated even greater controversy. Anyone who finds himself in a list of public treasury looters inescapably becomes a candidate for public opprobrium.  It carries with it a stigma which, sometimes, unfairly, extends to the family and the extended family.  In some countries, the punishment for looting public treasury could be grave indeed. Read more

Tough Luck or coincidence? Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora loses lucrative appointments in a Row (ThisDay)

There is no gainsaying Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora suffers the brute end of tough luck. Soon after experiencing a succession of disappointments, his recent dream of becoming an ambassador has dissipated into thin air, like a worthless imagination, fed upon illusion and put to death by reality. Call it fatal coincidence or tough luck, Mamora has been through a lot of disappointments in his political career. It could be recalled that he wanted to become governor of Lagos State but he was dropped and replaced with Babatunde Fashola by ex-Lagos governor and APC leader, Bola Tinubu. He wanted to go back to the Senate but he was replaced with another person. Read more

2019: INEC commences ICT training for staff (SUN)

Ahead of the forthcoming 2019 general election, the leadership of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Ebonyi State has commenced training and retraining of its staff in the headquarters and 13 council areas in preparation for a hitch-free poll. This was disclosed by the state’s Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Prof. Godswill Obioma, at a media lunch organized by the commission for journalists. Tagged: Strengthening the Electoral Process in Ebonyi State for 2019 General Elections, the lunch provided opportunity for brainstorming on the way to achieve credible election in 2019. Read more

Florence Ita-Giwa: Going full throttle on culture (ThisDay)

The plan was not for me to enter her bedroom. We had postponed the interview a couple of times. Another time was set for 10 O’clock in that morning. The previous evening, Senator Florence Mayen Ita-Giwa spearheaded a renaissance of Efik culture, particularly, of the womenfolk on the platform of Abang Cultural Festival. “It is easy to assume that only the men promote or sustain our culture through Ekpe and other masquerades, but that is far from the truth. Efik women have a lot of very lovely cultural dances that are almost going into extinction,” Ita-Giwa said last week at the premises of the African Club. “During the big festivals in December, for instance, much of the cultural displays on the streets of Calabar are promoted by the men. The cultural dances of the womenfolk like the Abang and others are gradually fading away. I don’t think that should happen. We have to preserve some of these things for our children.” Read more

I was never appreciated in Nigeria, says 2Shotz, now a photographer in US (Punch)

It came as a rude shock to many when it was reported that Nigerian rapper, William Iroha, aka 2shotz, had become a photographer and filmmaker in the United States of America. After that, the last time 2Shotz made headlines was in 2015 for allegedly battering his estranged wife in the US. When Sunday Scoop sought to know why he left Nigeria, the rapper spoke with so much bitterness. He said, “My contributions to the Nigerian music industry were never publicly acknowledged; so, what is the point of talking about music in Nigeria. Real people don’t go far in Nigeria. I really don’t care about what is going on in that industry anymore. The problem is the individuals.” Read more

Osogbo Art shines in Lagos as 50th-anniversary drumbeats continue (Tribune)

The travelling exhibition marking the 50th anniversary of Osogbo Art opened to a warm reception in Lagos last Friday. After showing in Osogbo, Abuja and the US, ‘Vision of the Last Quarter’, the art exhibition celebrating 50 years of Osogbo Art, opened at Thought Pyramid Art Centre, Ikoyi, Lagos on March 30. Expectedly, the turnout at the show’s opening was impressive, especially as it was the first joint exhibition by the founding members of the Osogbo Art School in the city in over a decade. Read more

Herders kill family of 4 in Taraba (Guardian)

The people of Bali Local Government, Taraba State are presently counting their loss, following herdsmen attacks that resulted in the killing of a family of four. The incident, which occurred, yesterday, in Kokotye, an outskirt of Bornon Kuku of the council, was carried out in spite of military presence. Confirming the attack, the Council Chairman, Danladi Suntai said the attack could be a reprisal of last Wednesday’s killings in nearby Donga Local Government, where the Tiv and Fulani ethnic groups clashed. Wondering why the attacks have remained unabated, he disclosed that a Fulani man was shot in Donga Local Government, but fled and died in Pasa village in Bali. Read more

Man United come from behind to halt City Title Party (ThisDay)

Paul Pogba spoiled Manchester City’s anticipated Premier League title party by scoring twice in two minutes as Manchester United came from 2-0 down to win a thrilling derby 3-2 yesterday. Chris Smalling completed the comeback that looked so improbable when City were well on course to round off a resounding march towards the title by racing into a 2-0 first-half lead. Goals from captain Vincent Kompany and Ilkay Gundogan put the hosts in a commanding position, who were left to rue huge missed chances from Raheem Sterling to extend their lead. “In that level in that competition when you have chances you have to score,” said City manager Pep Guardiola. “They shot four times on target and scored three goals.” Read more

Floundering Chelsea host West Ham in London Derby (ThisDay)

Chelsea will be looking to bounce back from defeat and continue their home run against West Ham when the two meet this afternoon at Stamford Bridge. The Blues were beaten 3-1 by Tottenham last weekend to extend the gap between Chelsea in fifth and the top four to eight points. However, they have not lost in 11 home Premier League games against the Hammers (W8 D3). Antonio Conte admits it will be tough to make a top four surge with just seven games remaining but the Italian still wants to see his players battling until the end. Read more

Messi Hat-trick helps Barca equal Record (ThisDay)

Barcelona equalled the record longest unbeaten run in La Liga history as a Lionel Messi hat-trick inspired the runaway leaders to a 3-1 win over Leganes yesterday to make it 38 league games unbeaten. The Catalan giants will look to break the record that Real Sociedad set in 1979-80 when they host Valencia next weekend, with Ernesto Valverde’s side now just seven matches from becoming the first La Liga side to go through a campaign without tasting defeat. Messi was the star of the show at the Camp Nou with a magnificent treble, as Barca stretched their lead at the top to 12 points ahead of second-placed Atletico Madrid’s derby against Real Madrid today. Read more

Former crime boss reveals the truths behind murders and arms smuggling (Independent)

Paul Le Roux, one of the world’s least known but most prodigious criminals, emerged from the shadows this week and testified for the first time about the myriad illegal schemes he committed in his 20-year career on the wrong side of the law. In a spellbinding two-day turn as a prosecution witness, Le Roux confessed to an astonishing array of crimes. He said he had once sold missile technology to Iran, shipped guns from Indonesia, and trafficked methamphetamine out of North Korea. He calmly told a jury in New York that he had taken part in at least five murders. With a businesslike demeanour, he admitted not only to arming a 200-man militia in Somalia but also to hatching plans to use mercenaries to overthrow the government of the Seychelles. Read more

South Carolina Republicans push bill that would allow secession if the US violates the Second Amendment (Independent)

South Carolina Republicans have introduced a bill that would give the state capital the power to secede from the United States if the federal government violates the Second Amendment and begins seizing legally purchased guns. The bill, which went to the state’s House Judiciary Committee Thursday, is unlikely to make it through the legislature this session, but its introduction sends a powerful message at a time when the US is seeing an intense debate about gun control. “The general assembly shall convene to consider whether to secede from the United States based upon the federal government’s unconstitutional violation of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution if the federal government confiscates legally purchased firearms in this state,” the bill reads. Read more

March for our Lives gun control activists leave empty chairs for politicians who ignored invites to town hall meetings (Independent)

Student-led protesters around the country are staging town halls to discuss gun violence with their federal representatives, and leaving empty chairs for the politicians who dodged their invitations to attend. The March for Our Lives protesters — who staged a massive rally last month in communities across the country — are conducting the town halls in order to advocate and discuss gun policy reforms, which Washington has been reluctant to implement. A list of the scheduled events on the “Town Hall for our Lives” website shows dozens of such events in which the politician declined to attend or did not respond. All told, the website shows more than 100 events in 34 different state. There are events listed in 70 GOP-held districts, and about 30 Democrat-held districts. Read more

Syria civil war: ‘Dozens of civilians killed in chemical weapons attack’ on Douma in eastern Ghouta, says monitor (Independent)

Dozens of civilians have reportedly been killed after the Syrian government dropped a barrel bomb containing a chemical weapon in eastern Ghouta. At least 25 people were killed and more than 500 injured after the attack in Douma, according to the Union of Medical Care and Relief Organisations. The Paris-based aid agency, known by its French initialism UOSSM, said many of the victims were children. The White Helmets rescue organisation said 40 people, mostly women and children, had been killed. It said hundreds were being treated at medical centres. Read more

 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *