* Nigeria’s problem not geographical restructuring—Osinbajo (DailyTrust) * Allah, save us from Miyetti Allah! (Vanguard)

* Nigeria’s problem not geographical restructuring—Osinbajo (DailyTrust)      * Allah, save us from Miyetti Allah! (Vanguard)

SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE AUGUST 28, 2018

 

Nigeria’s problem not geographical restructuring—Osinbajo (DailyTrust)

The Vice- President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, has said that simple geographical restructuring is not the problem with Nigeria. He said that prudent management of national resources and providing for the people properly were better ideas for Nigeria’s development challenges. Mr Laolu Akande, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Office of the Vice President, communicated Osinbanjo’s view in a statement in Abuja on Monday. The vice-president was fielding questions from a cross-section of Nigerians at a town hall meeting in Minnesota, U.S., on Sunday. Osinbajo spoke on a wide range of issues covering the economy, anti-corruption, health, agriculture among others. Read more

Allah, save us from Miyetti Allah! (Vanguard)

THERE is no other measuring rod for the total collapse of our moral columns as a country than the ubiquitousness of Miyetti Allah in our national affairs and the reckless audacity with which their acquired impunity mocks our outrage. I shook my head vigorously Sunday night as the vehicle conveying I and Senator Femi Okunrounmu halted for several minutes on the road as a set of senior citizens of this stressed Republic strolled leisurely across the road at Wuse Area in Abuja. How did we get here for crying out loud? We used to laugh at some countries we dubbed  Banana Republics unknown to us that our own tag would be Barbaric Republic in the 21st Century. Read more

Osinbajo tackles Obasanjo, IBB, Jonathan over oil cash (Nation)

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo has spoken again on how huge funds went down the drain in previous administrations, which earned much and invested little in infrastructure. Prof. Osinbajo, who rejected the seemingly popular notion that Nigeria’s problem could be solved by restructuring, said only prudent management of resources could save Nigeria. He was answering questions from Nigerians at a town hall meeting in Minnesota, United States on Sunday, according to a statement issued yesterday by his media aide, Laolu Akande. On OPEC statistics on oil revenues accruable to Nigeria under successive administrations between 1990 and 2014, the Vice President said not much had been done in terms of infrastructure, despite the huge oil revenues. Read more

Alleged neglect: FG releases 69 ongoing projects in South-East (DailyTrust)

The Federal Government on Monday released a list of 69 ongoing road and bridge projects in the South-East to debunk allegation of infrastructure neglect by some governors from the zone. The 69 projects which included the rehabilitation of the existing Niger Bridge as well as the construction of the 2nd Niger Bridge, cost over N680 billion. In a statement issued in Abuja, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed said the 69 roads and bridges spread across the five states in the South-east, were in different stages of completion. The minister said though the contracts for many of the roads were awarded before the advent of the administration, they were either poorly funded or not funded at all, hence work on the roads had lingered. Read more

Anambra Indigenes vow not to participate in election of new Oyo Ohanaeze Leaders (Independent)

Indigenes of Anambra State living in Oyo State have vowed not to participate in the planned election to elect new leaders of the Ohanaeze Ndigbo in the state. The people under the aegis of Association of Anambra State Development Union (AASDU) insisted that due process must be followed in conducting such election. The AASDU in a statement jointly signed by its Chairman, Ezennodebe Sunday and Secretary, Anierobi Andrew, gave the reasons for their decision not to participate in the election. The Anambra indigenes maintained that anybody or group trying to enforce any election on Ndigbo in Oyo State without carefully resolving the lingering misunderstanding is only trying to create room for crisis. Read more

Nigerian Army Varsity gets N2bn as take-off grant from FG (Independent)

The Federal Government has approved the release of N2 billion to enable the Nigerian Army University, Biu, recently approved by the Federal Executive Council take-off effectively. Executive Secretary of Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), Abdullahi Baffa, made this known on Monday when he received the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai in his office, Abuja. Buratai, at the meeting said the University, which is a unique science and technology oriented institution in Nigeria, would enhance the ability of the military in dealing with the insurgency and numerous security challenges confronting the nation. Read more

Leah Sharibu: Parents confirm voice (Nation)

The parents of Leah Sharibu, the only Christian girl still being held captive by Boko Haram insurgents among those abducted at the Government Girls Science and Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe State, have confirmed the voice in an audio message as their daughter’s. Leah’s audio message was published yesterday by “The Cable” online news platform with her recent picture in which she is wearing a brown hijab and sitting on a mat. In the picture, Leah wears a look of defiance.  In the message, she pleads for her release. The audio is translated thus: “I am Leah Sharibu, the girl that was abducted in GGSS Dapchi. I am calling on the government and people of goodwill to intervene to get me out of my current situation. Read more

FG plans 300,000 jobs in Oil, Gas Sector (Independent)

The Federal government yesterday said it would create additional 300,000 jobs in the nation’s oil and gas sector through its ambitious 10-year development plan. Mr Simbi Wabote, Executive Secretary of NCDMB, who disclosed this at a capacity building workshop for journalists, said the board started the plan last year which aimed to retain 70 per cent of the $20 billion annually spent in the sector. Mr Isaac Yalah, NCDMB Director of Finance and Personnel Management, who represented Wabote at the event, also disclosed that only five per cent of the $20 billion spent annually was retained before the establishment of the board in 2010. Read more

2018 Hajj: First batch of 259 pilgrims arrive Sokoto (Guardian)

The first batch of 259 Muslim pilgrims from Sokoto State, on Monday arrived Nigeria from Saudi Arabia after successful 2018 Hajj. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the pilgrims from Gada Local Government area were transported by Air Planers Airline to the Sultan Abubakar III International Airport, Sokoto. Gov. Aminu Tambuwal commended them for being law abiding while in the Holy Land. Tambuwal, speaking through Alhaji Mani Maishinku, congratulated the pilgrims for a successful Hajj exercise. The governor also urged them to always put to practice their experiences at the Holy Land in their future endeavours. Read more

Suspected armed robbers attack journalists in Nasarawa (Guardian)

Some members of the Nasarawa State Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Correspondents’ Chapel were on Sunday attacked by suspected armed robbers on Nassarawa-Eggon/Akwanga road in Correspondents’ bus. The members told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that they were coming from an official engagement about 10 p.m when they were attacked by the robbers at Lili village, Nassarawa-Eggon Local Government Area. Narrating his ordeal, Cheke Emmanuel of the New Telegraph Newspaper, said that the robbers attacked them near an abandon police checkpoint. Read more

Police nab mad couple with human parts under Lagos bridge (DailyTrust)

Detectives attached to Ijanikin Police Station of the Lagos State Command have arrested a ‘mentally deranged’ couple in possession of various human parts and who resides under a bridge at Cele NICA bus stop, Ojo on the Mile 2 – Badagary expressway. The incident caused panic as residents besieged the place to catch a glimpse of the couple whom they claimed were pretending to be mad. The residents said that the couple’s pretence was to shield people from knowing that they actually deal on human parts. One of the residents, Shade Oluwakemi, said that it was the lady who was arrested first. She said it took a combined team of the police and some residents hours before they could dragged the man, dressed in dirty cloths, out from under the bridge. Read more

Seyi Akinwunmi U-13 Football Tournament for grassroots development begins Sept. 1 — NFF VP (SUN)

The Ist Vice-President of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Seyi Akinwunmi, on Monday said that his foundation, Seyi Akinwunmi Charity Foundation, was purely for grassroots development of football and not a talent hunt. Akinwunmi told a news conference to herald the competition that four students who would excel during the tournament slated for Sept. 1 and Sept. 2, would have a scholarships to support their education. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the 2018 Seyi Akinwunmi U-13 tournament is organised to help children who are exceptional during the tournament with scholarships. Read more

Joseph Yobo urges Nigerians to get PVC (Nation)

Former Nigerian professional footballer, Joseph Yobo has enjoined civil society groups, party forerunners to intensify efforts in mobilising Nigerians to collect their Permanent Voters Card (PVC) before the closing date of August 31. He made the appeal at a recent one-day rally organised by Grassroots Mobilization Initiative (GMI) at Saint George Primary School, Ikoyi Lagos State.The former Everton defender said that the acquisition of the PVCs was crucial in keying into the country’s electoral process with a view to electing credible leaders during the 2019 elections. “We are here to sensitise the public on the importance of getting their Permanent Voters’ Card (PVC), because that is the only power they have to elect trust worthy and credible leaders in power. Your vote is your constitutional right, so don’t deny yourself,” he said. Read more

Salah accuses Egyptian FA of ignoring complaints over image rights (DalyTrust)

Liverpool and Egypt forward Mohamed Salah has revived a dispute with his country’s football association and accused them of ignoring his complaints over image rights. The 26-year-old was upset in April when his image was used to promote Egypt’s official sponsor WE, while Salah has a sponsorship deal with rival company Vodafone. “It’s normal that a football federation seeks to solve the problems of its players so they can feel comfortable. “But in fact, what I see is exactly the opposite,” Salah said on Twitter. “It is not normal that my messages and my lawyer’s messages are ignored. I don’t know why all this (is happening). Do you not have time to respond to us?!” Read more

Spurs sent a message with Man Utd thrashing, says Pochettino (Goal)

A comprehensive win at Old Trafford pleased the Tottenham boss, who sees his side share control of the Premier League summit after three games. Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino believes his team made a statement with their 3-0 win over Manchester United on Monday. A brace from Lucas Moura following Harry Kane’s second-half opener at Old Trafford saw Spurs continue their perfect start to the Premier League season with a third win. Despite United’s tough start to the campaign, Pochettino feels his side’s victory sent a message to the rest of the league. Read more

Murray, Wawrinka win US Open returns (TSN)

Andy Murray pumped his fist and then did it again, exulting as if he had just won his match. Actually, he was still one point away. But considering all the pain Murray has experienced in his hip, sprinting toward the net to chase down a drop volley and put it away was something to celebrate. Murray and Stan Wawrinka, a pair of former U.S. Open champions, both were winners Monday in their return to the tournament after having to miss it last year. Wawrinka ousted No. 8 seed Grigor Dimitrov 6-3, 6-2, 7-5, while Murray eliminated James Duckworth 6-7 (5), 6-3, 7-5, 6-3. Both felt good physically, though not quite as good about their chances of contending for the title. Read more

World number 1 suffers shock exit in US Open first round (The42)

Simona Halep has become the first top-seeded woman ever to lose at this stage of the competition.

WORLD NUMBER ONE Simona Halep was swept aside 6-2, 6-4 by 44th-ranked Kaia Kanepi on Monday, the first top-seeded woman ever to lose in the US Open first round. It was a second straight first-round exit at Flushing Meadows for Romania’s Halep, who dropped her opening match to Maria Sharapova last year. The French Open champion had no answer for Kanepi’s powerful groundstrokes. The Estonian fired 26 winners to Halep’s nine, and even her 28 unforced errors weren’t enough to derail her challenge as she brought the rallies to quick ends and remorselessly punished Halep’s second serve. Read more

Theresa May to pledge Africa investment boost after Brexit (BBC)

Theresa May is to announce plans to boost Britain’s investment in Africa after Brexit, during her first trip to the continent as prime minister. At a speech in Cape Town later, Mrs May will say she is “unashamed” about ensuring the money the UK spends on aid in Africa benefits Britain too. The PM will say she wants the UK to overtake the US to become the G7’s biggest investor in Africa by 2022. She will also visit Nigeria and Kenya during the three-day trade mission. The trip – which will see Mrs May meet the presidents of all three countries – aims to deepen economic and trade ties with growing African economies ahead of Britain leaving the EU in 2019. Read more

Trump forcing new tact In ‘War for Return’ (Nysun)

Last week the State Department announced a $200 million cut in annual aid to the Palestinian Authority. Before that, America cut support to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, a body created in 1949 to tend to some 750,000 Arab refugees from the war Israel’s neighbors launched to erase it off the map. UNRWA now handles over 5 million refugee-camp residents in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, the West Bank and Gaza. It exclusively tends to Palestinians, while another United Nations agency deals with refugees everywhere else on the globe. Read more

 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *