May 24, 2018

* Obstruction Charge: Drama in court as Melaye’s brother, lawyers secure bail (Vanguard) * Buhari, Trump to address joint press conference after meeting (Punch)

* Obstruction Charge: Drama in court as Melaye’s brother, lawyers secure bail (Vanguard)              *  Buhari, Trump to address joint press conference after meeting (Punch)

SABINEWS EVENING NEWS UPDATE APRIL 30, 2018

 

Obstruction Charge: Drama in court as Melaye’s brother, lawyers secure bail (Vanguard)

Five days after they were remanded in prison custody, an Abuja Chief Magistrate Court sitting at Mpape, on Monday, granted bail to a brother to the embattled Senator representing Kogi West, Mr. Dino Melaye, Samuel, and three others. Magistrate Mohammed Zubairu had on Wednesday last week, remanded the quartet in Kuje prison after they were docked by the Nigerian Police Force for obstruction. The charge followed the incident at Area One Roundabout in Abuja, which botched alleged moves to forcibly relocate Melaye to Lokoja in Kogi State to answer to pending criminal allegations against him. The embattled lawmaker was said to have jumped out of the Police van conveying him to Lokoja, and was allegedly whisked away by his supporters who were said to have blocked the road with their vehicle. Read more

Buhari, Trump to address joint press conference after meeting (Punch)

President Muhammadu Buhari and the United States’ President Donald Trump will address a joint press conference today after their meeting at the White House. The press conference is scheduled to hold at 6.30pm Nigerian time at the Rose Garden in the White House. It is expected to be broadcast live. The meeting of the two leaders is expected to centre on the fight against terrorism and economic development among others. Read more

$496m aircraft: Youths protest against senator’s comment, as Edo A4ssembly lauds Buhari (Punch)

Some youths in Edo State have staged another protest calling on the senator representing Edo South in the National Assembly, Matthew Urhoghide, to withdraw his motion against President Muhammadu Buhari over an alleged impeachable offence. The protesters, who carried placards as they marched through the streets of Benin on Monday, advised Urhoghide to retract his statement or face a recall. The leader of the group, Mr. Valentine Aisuen, said that the senator did not consult with his constituents before moving the motion for the impeachment of the President. Read more

Wamakko restores electricity to 4 LGs (ThisDay)

The senator representing Sokoto North Senatorial District and Chairman, Northern Senators Forum, Senator Aliyu Wamakko, has commenced the restoration of electricity to Gudu, Silame, Binji and Tangaza Local Government Areas of Sokoto State. Wamakko disclosed this on Monday when he received hundreds of residents from 20 communities in Gumbi District of Wamakko Local Government Area of the state who were on a thank-you visit to him, following his recent gesture of restoring electricity to them. He said the electricity supply lines, which became faulty two years ago, had not been repaired hence, the residents of the four local governments were thrown into endemic darkness. Wamakko reiterated his resolve to continue to assist in further uplifting the living standards of the entire people of the state. Read more

Murder allegation: Shehu Sani keeps Police appointment, gets bail (Punch)

The senator representing Kaduna Central, Shehu Sani, has disclosed that he was invited by the police in Kaduna earlier Monday morning. He said he honoured the invite, wrote a statement, and was later allowed to go, based on self recognition. The senator disclosed this on his verified Twitter handle, where he wrote: “The Police invited me to appear today by 10:45am. I honored the invitation to the Police Headquarters in Kaduna by 10:45am, with clear conscience.I wrote my statements. I was granted ‘self bail’. I have left.” Read more

INEC insists on transmitting Ekiti, Osun election results electronically (Nation)

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Monday insisted that it would transmit the results of this year’s Ekiti and Osun State governorship elections electronically. According to its commissioner Muhammed Mustafa Lecky, one of the innovations that the commission is adopting for the 2019 elections is the electronic transmission of results and it has “come to the conclusion that this will be done come Ekiti and Osun elections.” He made this disclosure at the roundtable of The Electoral Institute (TEI) in Abuja. The theme of discussion was “Anambra Governorship Election: A Post-Mortem and Lessons for Ekiti and Osun States Governorship Polls.” Read more

Court sentences SAN, Nwobike, to one-month imprisonment (Punch)

The Lagos State High Court in Ikeja has sentenced a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Dr. Joseph Nwobike, to one month’s imprisonment for perversion of the course of justice. The court convicted Nwobike of 12 counts bordering on the offence, sentenced him to one month’s imprisonment on each of the 12 counts but said the sentences would run concurrently. Justice Raliat Adebiyi, who pronounced the verdict on Monday morning, said the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission proved beyond reasonable doubts that the SAN was in constant communication with court officials to influence the assignment of his cases to his preferred judges. Read more

FG restates commitment to global fight against terrorism (Nation)

The federal government has affirmed its commitment to the global fight against the financing of terrorism. A press release issued and signed by Oluyinka Akintunde, Special Adviser, Media and Communications to the Minister of Finance said finance Minister, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, gave this pledge at an International Conference against the financing of terrorism in Paris, France. The Conference, which had as theme “No money for terror”, Akintunde said, was hosted by the French President, Emmanuel Macron and was attended by the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde; President of the World Bank Group, Jim Kim; US Treasury Secretary, Steven Mnuchin as well as UK Chancellor, Phillip Hammond. Read more

BBN winner, Miracle, gets N25M cheque, SUV, home theatre system (Tribune)

The Big Brother Naija: Double Wahala winner, Miracle, was officially presented with his prizes including a cheque for 25 million naira, an SUV, a voucher for an all expense paid trip, and a premium home entertainment system  today 30th of April 2018. The presentation was done at the winner’s press conference which held at the MultiChoice Nigeria office in Victoria Island, Lagos. Also present at the event were other Big Brother contestants who, alongside Miracle, received DStv Explora decoders with a year’s free DStv premium subscription. Read more

Court grants bail to 3 IPOB members (Guardian)

A federal high court sitting in Awka Monday granted bail, on liberal terms, to three members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) who are standing trial of conspiracy and illegal possession of flags bearing IPOB. The three IPOB members, Ugwu Friday, Emeka Okoye and Chinwekele Blessed were arrested on April 6, 2018 by the Police in Nnewi on their way from a burial ceremony for allegedly possessing IPOB flags, a development the police claimed was punishable under section 2 (3) (i) of the terrorism prevention act, 2011 since the group had been proscribed. Read more

LASG identifies 149 distressed buildings, demolishes 40 (Vanguard)

The Lagos State Government on Monday said it was gratifying to report significant reduction in occurrences of building collapse across the State, revealing that a total of149 distressed buildings were indentified at different locations out of which 40 have so far been demolished in the last one year. Speaking at the annual Ministerial Press Briefing to mark the third year anniversary of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode’s administration held at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre in Alausa, Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Mr Rotimi Ogunleye said another 38 distressed buildings have equally been earmarked for removal in the next phase, while others would follow suit. Read more

Street Trading, Hawking Banned in Nasarawa (ThisDay)

The Task Force charged with relocating traders to the Muhammadu Buhari International Market, Karu in Nasarawa State has banned trading and hawking along the Keffi-Karu-Abuja expressway, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) has reported. The Chairman of the Task Force, Mr Stanley Buba, announced this on Monday in Karu, during a meeting with officials of the Traders and Marketers Association and the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW). Buba, also a Senior Special Assistant to Governor Umaru Almakura, urged traders to move to the Muhammadu Buhari International Market in Karu, to boost sales and improve the state’s revenue base. Read more

Man loses car to robbers, finds policeman using it after two years (Punch)

A thirty-two-year-old Ghanaian banker whose car was hijacked by armed robbers and was almost killed found a police officer using the car two years after. Samuel Forson was attacked by four armed men who took his car, a laptop computer and other personal belongings in December 2015. For two years, nothing was heard about the criminals or his car until he personally saw the vehicle in Tema, a province in Ghana on a Friday afternoon. According to JoyNews, Samuel said the incident happened on December 4, 2015. He said while driving his car along the Titanic Beach, located between Tema and Sakumono area at 8 pm, he had to stop because his engine had developed a problem. Read more

7 robbery suspects nabbed, 1 dies of epilepsy in police cell in Delta (Tribune)

Seven robbery suspects were, at various times last week, arrested by police operatives from the Warri Area Command in Warri, Delta State. The names of the suspects, as gathered by Nigerian Tribune, were notorious Philip Pele, Daniel Robinson and Tejiri Akpoture, on one side, and Daniel Odogbo, Philip Oghenevwede and Efe on the other. Philip Pele and Philip Oghenevwede, it was gathered, were specialised in looting and snatching parked cars along roads in the axis with the aid of charms to detect if money is kept in them. Read more

Ex-Oyo governor’s son faces N40m fraud charge (Guardian)

Akinkunle Olunloyo, son of former governor old Oyo State, Dr Victor Olunloyo, was on Monday brought before an Igbosere Magistrates’ Court, Lagos, for allegedly defrauding a financial institution to the tune of N40 million. Olunloyo, 40, a former night club owner, was charged alongside his entertainment firm, Code Media Ltd, by the Police Special Fraud Unit (PSFU), Lagos. They are standing trial on a two-count charge of conspiracy and fraud. Police Prosecutor Sylvester Azubuike told the court that Olunloyo and others still at large, committed the offences sometime in November 2014 in Lagos. He said the accused fraudulently obtained N40 million under guise of using it to renovate his company’s entertainment premises and hall. Read more

Major leagues roundup: Nigerian ‘Simy’ bag brace as Salah fire blank (Punch)

Prolific Liverpool scorer Mohamed Salah had a rare goalless outing at the weekend, leaving little unknown Nigerian ‘Simy’ to star among Africans in Europe with a Serie A brace. Egyptian Salah failed to score in an English Premier League match at Anfield for the first time since December as lowly Stoke City greatly exceeded expectations to force a 0-0 draw. In Italy, ‘Simy’ struck twice to help Crotone whip higher-placed Sassuolo 4-1 and climb three points above the danger zone. Read more

Salah faces ban (Punch)

MO SALAH faces an anxious wait to see if he could be banned from Liverpool’s final two Prem games, The Sun reports. And that may give Spurs ace Harry Kane an extra boost as he seeks to haul back Salah’s five-goal lead in the race for the Golden Boot. FA disciplinary beaks are expected to refer Salah’s clash with Stoke’s Bruno Martins Indi during Saturday’s goalless draw at Anfield to the three-man panel of ex-referees to rule if it was a red card offence. The FA have been alerted to social media clips of the incident, in which the Egyptian superstar appears to flail a balled hand at Stoke’s Dutch defender near the half-way line. Read more

International Paralympics Committee berates Donald Trump for saying games are ‘tough to watch’ (Independent)

Donald Trump has been criticised by the Paralympics governing body for suggesting the games were “hard to watch”. The US President made the remarks while surrounded by athletes at a ceremony celebrating the Olympic and Paralympic games in PyeongChang, South Korea. “What happened with the Paralympics was so incredible and so inspiring to me,” he said. “And I watched — it’s a little tough to watch too much, but I watched as much as I could.” Mr Trump did not clarify his comments, but they sparked backlash online. “Record numbers of people around the world are not finding @Paralympics tough to watch,” the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said in a Twitter post. Read more

Leicester City’s Christian Fuchs hopes to grow academy success internationally (Kwese.espn)

Christian Fuchs wants to ensure he has left a lasting legacy when he leaves Leicester City to move to the United States next year. Fuchs, who has repeatedly stated his intentions to rejoin his wife and children in New York when his contract expires in 2019, started his Fox Soccer Academy in the English city two years ago. Now, after its success in England, the defender is ready to launch a scholarship programme in his former and future homes. “From this guy who wasn’t good enough, I ended up a Premier League champion,” Fuchs said. “I was scouted from some academies from Bundesliga teams and didn’t get good feedback. Read more

Federer and Nadal would be the best in the world in doubles – Marc Lopez (TennisWorldusa)

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal played doubles together once, at the Laver Cup in 2017. However, they have never teamed up officially in an ATP tournament or a Major. What would happen if they played together on the ATP events every week? Punto de Break asked this question to Marc Lopez, who replied: ‘They would be the best in the world because they are unique. It’s better for us that good singles players decide not to play (doubles).’ Speaking about how singles players would do in doubles in general, Lopez added: ‘This is a fight that we constantly have in the locker room. Read more

The key wedding advice Serena Williams has for Meghan Markle on her wedding day (Time)

With Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s royal wedding just weeks to go, Markle’s good friend Serena Williams shared some vital advice for the happy couple on their big day. In an interview with Good Morning America, Williams revealed what she learned from tying the knot last fall with her husband, Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian. “I just think it’s so important to enjoy the moment,” Williams said. “And eat the cake—I didn’t get to eat mine at the wedding. We were just having so much fun!” Williams also shared good wishes for the royal wedding and soon-to-be princess Markle. “I’m obviously super happy for her,” Williams said. “She’s such a great girl and she is incredibly nice and I couldn’t be happier for her.” Read more

The smearing of Ronny Jackson is a disgrace (CNN)

The shameful smearing of Dr. Ronny Jackson, the White House physician who was nominated by President Donald Trump to be Secretary of the Veterans Affairs Administration and has now withdrawn, is example #967 of why people hate Washington D.C. and were in a revolutionary mood at the 2016 ballot box. Montana Senator Jon Tester in particular ought to be ashamed of publicly airing unproven allegations against a Navy Admiral and doctor who has served his nation and three Commanders-in-Chief with honor. Tester sullied the reputation of a good man and no doubt chilled many people who ever had a fleeting thought of offering themselves up for public service. Read more

Scientists ‘miserable’ after world’s oldest-known spider dies in Australia at 43 — from a wasp sting (UsaToday)

Scientists in Australia say they are heartbroken after the world’s oldest-known spider has died — from a wasp sting. The antique arachnid, known as Number 16, passed away at 43, beating the previous record-holder, a Mexican tarantula that met its maker at age 28, according to a study published in the Pacific Conservation Biology Journal. “We’re really miserable about it,” Leanda Mason, the study’s lead scientist told England’s Daily Telegraph newspaper. “We were hoping she could have made it to 50 years old.”  The female Gaius Villosus, or trapdoor spider, had been under observation in the wild since its birth in 1974, the paper reported, part of research that is the life’s work of Barbara York Main, now 88, who first studied Number 16 shortly after its birth. Read more

Armenian protest movement adopts canine mascot (BBC)

A stray dog has become one of the unlikely ‘personalities’ in the protests in Armenia over who should be the country’s next prime minister. Chalo joined demonstrators and opposition leader Nikol Pashinyan on the first day of a 200km (124-mile) protest march from Armenia’s second city of Gyumri to the capital Yerevan at the beginning of April, and stayed for the full 14 days. On arrival in Yerevan, Chalo was involved in a hit-and-run car accident and was looked after by protesters supporting Mr Pashinyan, who is hoping to become prime minister after weeks of turmoil in the Caucasus nation. But as US-funded Radio Azatutyun reports, Chalo has recovered enough to rejoin the protests, and attended a rally in central Yerevan’s Republic Square on Sunday. Read more

Man who tried to drown himself is suing the police officers and lifeguard who saved him (Independent)

When he was made assistant manager of a pool in Fairfax, Virginia, two years ago, Mateusz Fijalkowski spoke barely any English and did not know how to swim. In the United States from Poland on a summer programme, Ms Fijalkowski spent most of his time here hospitalised after nearly drowning in that pool. Now the 23-year-old, is suing the police officers and lifeguard who pulled him out. Often police are sued for being too aggressive with mentally ill people. In this instance, they are accused of not doing enough to stop a man in the midst of a bipolar episode. Read more

Bill Cosby’s own words at sexual assault trial sealed his fate, says juror (Independent)

A juror in Bill Cosby’s sexual assault trial has said it was the comedian’s own words that lead to his conviction. Harrison Snyder was one of 12 jurors who found Cosby guilty of assaulting Andrea Constand in a trial last week. Mr Snyder, the youngest of the jurors, said it was Cosby’s testimony in a 2005 deposition that sealed his fate. “I think it was his deposition, really. Mr Cosby admitted to giving these Quaaludes to women, young women, in order to have sex with them,” the 22-year-old told ABC’s Good Morning America. In a recently unsealed deposition, Cosby admitted to obtaining Quaaludes – a powerful sedative outlawed in the 1980s – and giving them to at least one young woman with whom he intended to have sex. Read more

 

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *