October 21, 2018

Latest Updates

* Police parades criminals allegedly working for Melaye (Tribune) * Absence of prosecution witness stalls trial of Maryam Sanda (Guardian)

* Police parades criminals allegedly working for Melaye (Tribune)               * Absence of prosecution witness stalls trial of Maryam Sanda (Guardian)

SABINEWS EVENING NEWS UPDATE MARCH 19, 2018

 

Police parades criminals allegedly working for Melaye (Tribune)

The Nigerian police on Monday paraded two notorious criminals allegedly working for the senator representing Kogi west senatorial district, Dino Melaye, to destabilise Kogi state towards the 2019 election. The Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), Jimoh Moshood, while parading the suspects, Kabiru Saidu aka Osama and Nuhu Salish, said were arrested by men of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) in Kogi state on January 19, 2018/at Ogojueje in Dekina local government area of the state. He said the suspects confessed to being members of a kidnapping gang and also working as political thugs for politicians in the state. He said during interrogation, Saidu had been working as a political thug for Mohammed, who later introduced him to Melaye, who he later met along airport road in Abuja. Read more

Absence of prosecution witness stalls trial of Maryam Sanda (Guardian)

The absence of prosecution witness on Monday stalled the continuation of trial in the alleged murder case filed against Maryam Sanda, and three others before Justice Yusuf Halilu of the FCT High Court, Jabi. The other defendants are: Mrs Maimuna Aliyu, Maryam’s mother, Aliyu Sanda, the brother and Sadiya Aminu, the housemaid. The other three defendants were accused of aiding Maryam in carrying out the alleged murder of Bilyaminu Bello, the son of a former PDP Chairman, Mr Haliru Bello, on Nov. 19, 2017. Justice Halilu adjourned for continuation of trial until April 19 and April 20, at the instance of the prosecution counsel, Mr James Idachaba. Idachaba informed the court that the witness he intended to present could no longer be sighted. Idachaba said that the prosecution came to court with two witnesses, and that the witness he intended to start with was nowhere to be found. Read more

Nigeria pulls out of African Free Trade Summit (Independent)

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari says he will not attend the Extraordinary African Union summit on free trade in Rwanda this week. The meeting in Kigali is intended to formally launch the African Continental Free Trade Area Treaty, which would create a common market across the Continent – much like the EU. Nigeria, along with South Africa and Angola, has one of the continent’s largest economies, the World Bank says. It also has the biggest population. Read more

Don’t Implement Law on Land Use Charge, Experts warn Ondo (ThisDay)

The Association of Professional Bodies of Nigeria (APBN) has warned the Ondo State Government against the implementation of the law on Land Use Charge, saying the issue could generate controversies as obtained in Lagos State at present. The APBN Chairman in Ondo State, Mr Gboyega Akerele, who stated this in Akure Monday, said this is not the time for the government to impose more economic burden on the citizens in form of taxes. Read more

Gombe APC group kicks against tenure extension for officials (SUN)

A fresh crisis has erupted within the ranks of the members of the All Progressives Congress (APC), in Gombe State, with a group, the APC Advocacy Forum, kicking against the recent extension of the tenure of officials of the party. The group, in a statement issued, on Sunday, and signed by Alhaji Abubakar Aliyu, described the tenure extension as ‘unconstitutional and capable of causing disharmony among members’. The APC Adalchi group, therefore, called for the conduct of congresses to elect new officials as the tenure of the current executives of the party has expired. At a meeting held in Gombe, with members of the group from across the 11 local government areas in attendance, the group raised alarm over alleged moves to deny new members joining the party registration. Read more

2018: APC Chieftain seeks credible primaries as Ekiti receives John Oyegun (Independent)

Akinlayo Kolawole, a chieftain of All Progressives Congress (APC), has urged the party to go for the best material that can deliver as the state hosts Chief John Odigje-Oyegun, National Chairman of the party. The national leader is expected to flag off party’s registration in Ekiti. Kolawole called on delegates, saddled with the task of electing the party’s flag bearer for the July 14 gubernatorial poll, to consider competency, experience, commitment to the progressive ideals of the party and mass appeal of the aspirants before making their choice on the candidate of the party. Read more

Lalong bags the Nation’s award (DailyTrust)

Plateau State Governor, Simon Bako Lalong has been nominated for a special award by The Nation newspaper in recognition of his giant strides in the area of “Food and Agricultural Development in Plateau State and Nigeria.” In a statement mailed to Daily Trust, the senior Ssecial assistant on Media and Publicity to the governor, Mark Longyen, stated that the special award was based on Lalong’s “selfless, exemplary and meritorious services to Plateau State since he assumed office as Executive Governor nearly three years ago.” According to Longyen,  the nomination is contained in a letter to the Governor, signed by Mr Sam Omatseye, the Chairman of the Editorial Board of the newspaper adding that, “Omatseye, congratulated the Governor on the recognition accorded him by the Board of The Nation, one of Nigeria’s leading tabloid, stressing that the Governor’s commitment to selfless service  in the sector had culminated in his selection.” Read more

IPOB urged to listen to Ohanaeze’s advise on Biafra (SUN)

The Buhari Support Organisation has called on Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to adopt Political Diplomacy and carefully listen to the wise counsel of President-General of Ohaneze Ndigbo worldwide, Chief John Nnia Nwodo. This was contained in a statement BSO issued, in Sunday, in Enugu, and signed by the Publicity Secretary, Enugu State Chapter, Mr. Eze Chibueze. Chibueze said he did not see anything wrong with the candid advice proffered by Chief Nwodo that those agitating for the restoration of Biafra as a sovereign nation should adopt political diplomacy, instead of name calling, fighting, quarreling or insulting other ethnic groups. Read more

JAMB releases 1.3 million UTME results Monday (SUN)

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it would release no fewer than 1.3 million results of candidates that sat for the 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, on Monday, after they had gone through security checks and found to be without malpractice. JAMB’s Head of Information, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, said this, on Sunday. He maintained that the UTME results of Computer-Based Test centres where the CCTV showed malpractices had been cancelled. The board said the CCTV showed “strange things” such as CBT centre owners collecting money from candidates to engage in malpractices and also threatening JAMB officials at the centres. Read more

Private sector to play advisory role in food security council – Presidency (Punch)

The Presidency on Monday said the private sector will play an advisory role in the National Food Security Council recently announced by President Muhammadu Buhari. The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, disclosed this in a statement made available to journalists in Abuja. Shehu said everybody would be carried along by the council that would be inaugurated on Monday. He said the clarification was necessary in view of reservations expressed by groups that felt left out after the composition was announced. Read more

UNILAG students donate blood to sickle cell child patients (Nation)

No fewer than 360 students of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) turned out on Wednesday to donate a pint of blood each to sickle cell and cancer child patients. The donors trooped out in multitudes to donate their blood at the New Hall and Bookshop areas of the Akoka campus where makeshift blood transfusion centres were provided. The blood donation exercise was spearheaded by Project Smile, a non-governmental organisation, in partnership with the Lagos University Teaching Hospital and the Association of Medical Students, UNILAG (AMSUL). Read more

Argungu River: Kebbi, LGAs agree to rescue communities (SUN)

As a result of the dryness of Mayan Dada River of the famous Argungu fishing competition, the Kebbi State government and all the 21 local government chairmen and their councillors have agreed to rescue communities from famine, climate change and help farmers on crop production. The state government had set up committee few days ago on the rapid dryness of the Argungu river, which comprises of all the local government chairmen, who were expected to submits their report within five days. The chairman of the committee, who is also chairman of Bagudu Local Government Area, Hon. Banbo Bagudu, while presenting their report at the Waziri Umar Federal Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi on Sunday, lamented that “their major challenges is the problem of pests, flood, rats, and other insects which affected farmlands.” Read more

Miracle emerges Head of House (Punch)

Miracle Ikechukwu has emerged the new head of House on the ongoing Big Brother Naija ‘Double Wahala’, winning the title for the second time. Miracle beat other housemates when he emerged the first to knock down all the bottles using the tennis ball in the stockings provided. He chose Nina, to share the luxury room with him. ‘Biggie’ had cancelled automatic immunity and “save and replace’ powers for the Head of House two weeks ago. The powers attached to the title this week will be announced after the nominations on Monday. Read more

DSS arrests gun-runner Jonah Abbey, others (DailyTrust)

The Department of State Services (DSS) yesterday said it recently arrested a notorious gun-runner Jonah Abbey. The agency said Abbey had been on its wanted list for the last ten years over trade in arms and ammunition. A statement from an official of the DSS, Tony Opuiyo also said its tactical teams within the last ten days made arrests that include key members of kidnapping, gunrunning and armed banditry syndicates operating across Plateau, Nasarawa, Taraba and Benue states. Read more

Nigeria to leave for Australia March 24 (Punch)

Nigeria athletes are expected to depart for the XXI Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia for the games on March 24, an official of the Federal Ministry of Sports said on Monday. The Deputy Director, Para-Sports and coaching department in the ministry, Yemi Usikaye, told the News Agency of Nigeria that 56 athletes and 22 coaches would depart from Abuja ahead of the games. “This first batch of athletes and coaches will come from Athletics, Basketball, Boxing, Gymnastics, Para-Athletics, Para Powerlifting, Para Table Tennis, Table Tennis and Weightlifting. Read more

Morocco tables $16bn 2026 World Cup bid (SUN)

Morocco would need to spend almost $16 billion  to prepare to host the 2026 World Cup, with every proposed stadium and training ground built from scratch or renovated, the bid said Saturday. With less than three months to go until the FIFA vote, the north African nation presented the first significant details of its proposal to take on the joint bid from the United States, Canada and Mexico. The North American bid plans to rely on existing infrastructure, including large NFL stadiums already hosting events. For the first time, a high-risk bid that does not meet FIFA’s expectations on facilities and profit can be disqualified before the governing body’s congress votes on June 13. Read more

CAF CC: Akwa United scales Al-Ittihad’s hurdle on penalties (SUN)

Akwa United has qualified for the play-off round of the CAF Confederation Cup after dismissing nine-man Al-Ittihad at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium. The Promise Keepers edged the Libyans 3-2 to reach the next round after full-time scores stood at 1-1. The Nigerians bowed 1-0 in the first leg played at the King Abdullah Sports City and they needed at least two unreplied goals to scale through. However, Abdul Maikaba’s men were able to net one thanks to strike from Aniekeme Asuquo early in the second half. All efforts to get a second goal proved futile as the visitors- who had two players sent off in the space of two minutes put up a solid defensive play to frustrate the 2017 Nigeria Federation Cup champions. Read more

Man Utd extend Young’s contract to 2019 (Guardian)

Manchester United triggered a one-year contract extension clause on Monday to retain the services of utility man Ashley Young until 2019. The 32-year-old’s deal was due to expire this summer, but United have confirmed they have taken up the option of an extra 12 months. Young, who joined United back in 2011 from Aston Villa, has rejuvenated his career at Old Trafford under Jose Mourinho as the former winger has made the vast majority of his 30 appearances this season at left full-back. Read more

Del Potro outlasts Federer to win Indian Wells final (Guardian)

Former US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro stunned top-ranked Roger Federer 6-4, 6-7 (8/10), 7-6 (7/2) Sunday to win his first Indian Wells title and second consecutive ATP crown. The 29-year-old from Argentina handed Federer his first match defeat of 2018 and extended his own win streak to 11 matches, including a title run earlier this month at Acapulco. “I’m still shaking,” Del Potro said. “It’s difficult to describe with words. It’s like a dream.” Read more

Drought-stricken Cape Town counts the cost (Guardian)

South African winemaker Marlize Jacobs looks out across the parched brown earth that sustains her award-winning vines, surveying the effects of the water crisis ravaging Cape Town and surrounding areas. “It’s the strangest thing — I think vines like to suffer. When the berries are shrinking, there’s more concentration of flavours,” she told AFP, describing the impact on her crop of the worst drought in 100 years. The Western Cape region has gone without significant rains for more than three years, forcing South Africa’s second city to slash residential water consumption by more than 60 percent. Read more

Zimbabwe to hold elections in July, confirms Mnangagwa (Thezimbabwean)

Zimbabwe’s first presidential and parliamentary elections since the end of former strongman Robert Mugabe’s long rule will take place in July, President Emmerson Mnangagwa said. The polls will be the first major test of the new leader, who took power in November after a de facto military coup forced the 94-year-old Mugabe to resign. They will also be the first without Mugabe’s name on the ballot since independence from Britain in 1980. “As a nation, party and government, we are looking forward to very peaceful, transparent and harmonised elections in July this year,” Mnangagwa said. Read more

Israel’s 2019 budget designed to entrench occupation, say Palestinians (Memo)

The Israeli Knesset approved last week a $137 billion state budget that will perpetuate occupation and intensify illegal settlement construction in the West Bank, according to the Palestine Liberation Organisation’s National Bureau. The Nablus based organisation took a close look at the allocation of state funds for 2019, which was approved by 62 members of the Israeli Knesset, and discovered that institutions directly overseeing the occupation received the largest boost from the state budget. Read more

Facebook shares fall amid privacy backlash (BBC)

Facebook shares have been hit as the social network faces questions from US and British politicians about its privacy rules. Facebook is under fire after reports detailing how Cambridge Analytica, which is credited with helping Donald Trump win the US election. acquired and used Facebook’s customer information. Downing Street called the allegations “very concerning”. Facebook’s shares were down by more than 6% in mid-morning trade. Facebook is accused of failing to properly inform users that their profile information may have been obtained and kept by Cambridge Analytica. Read more

Royal society brands Prince Harry and Meghan Markle TV movie ‘filthy’ and ‘perverse’ (Uk.news)

Supporters of the royal family were left up in arms after a trailer for a new dramatised show, Harry & Meghan: A Royal Romance, depicts the soon-to-be-wed couple engaging in a sex scene. The trailer may only be around 20 seconds long, but it’s the debatably x-rated content that’s angered some. The TV movie, made by and aired on US channel Lifetime, shows some pretty cringe-worthy moments between the two, ranging from Harry, 33, popping the question to Meghan, 36, romantic walks in big fields, and the pair in bed together naked. Read more

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *