As the race for the 2019 presidential election hots up, more aspirants have been springing up, especially in the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) all with the aim of grabbing the sole ticket at the National Convention of the party scheduled for October 5 and 6, 2018, where the flag bearer will emerge.
Some of the aspirants who have indicated interest in the PDP ticket include former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Senate President Bukola Saraki, Sokoto State governor Aminu Tambuwal, former Kaduna State governor, Ahmed Makarfi, Gombe State governor, Ibrahim Dankwambo, and two time governor of Jigawa State, Sule Lamido are some of the aspirants who have indicated interest in running for the number one position.
See a full list of some of the aspirants as we wait for the convention to see who will get the sole ticket:
1. Atiku Abubakar: If Atiku clinches the ticket, this will be his fifth attempt at becoming Nigeria’s president after past attempts where he failed.
2. Sule Lamido: Lamido is another aspirant who believes he has what it takes to unseat President Muhammadu Buhari. At the age of 70, he insists he has what it takes to steer the country to greater heights.
3. Ahmed Makarfi: Former Kaduna State governor is another prominent member of the PDP who is also in the race for the number one position in the country. Makarfi was also a Senator representing Kaduna North Senatorial district and the Chairman of the PDP Caretaker Committee.
4. Ibrahim Dankwambo: Dankwambo is a two-time governor of Gombe State and believes that his giant strides in his state will stand him in good light with Nigerians to vote for him. He is one of the best performing governors in Nigeria going by the development his state has witnessed during his time.
5. Attahiru Bafarawa: Attahiru Dalhatu Bafarawa was the governor of Sokoto State from 1999 to 2007 and before then, he was a member of the House of Representatives on the platform of the Great Nigeria Peoples Party (GNPP).
This is not the first time he is contesting to be the president as he had tried his luck in the past but could not get the votes needed to clinch the top job.
6. Tanimu Turaki: The Kebbi State-born Turaki was a former Minister of Special Duties and Inter-governmental Affairs between 2013 and 2015, a former supervising minister, Ministry of Labour and Productivity between 2014 and 2015, and currently the Chairman of PDP Former Ministers’ Forum of Nigeria.
7. Datti Baba-Ahmed Yusuf: Yusuf was a member of the House of Representatives in 2003 under the All Nigeria People’s Party (ANPP) representing Zaria federal constituency in Kaduna state. He is also one of the many angling to be president on the platform of the PDP.
8. Senator Bukola Saraki: The Senate President threw in his hat into the fray a few days ago when he announced that he is seriously contemplating running against Buhari despite all the crisis he has been going through in the past few months.
Saraki has been in the eyes of the storm when he decamped from the ruling APC to the PDP and since then, the APC has been doing everything to remove him from his seat as the President of the Senate.