- The legendary comic actor was found dead at his home in Tiburon, California
- The Marin County Coroner said the cause of death was believed to be suicide due to asphyxia
- An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday on the comedian
- His third wife Susan Schneider said: ‘I lost my husband and my best friend, the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings’
- President Obama said: ‘He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most’
- Williams had battled depression for years
- He won an Oscar for the 1997 film Good Will Hunting
President Obama has led the tributes to Robin Williams after the comic genius was found dead aged 63 from an apparent suicide in his home, police in California said on Monday night.
Praising the Oscar winning actor’s versatility, the president issued a touching statement, speaking volumes for the comedian and his huge impact on American culture throughout the past 35-years.
‘Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien – but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit.
He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most – from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets. The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin’s family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams.’
And in the wake of the Oscar-winning actor’s tragic death on Monday, Zelda Williams has tweeted a poignant quote about her loss. Read more