The Nigerian movie industry has surpassed the era of mundane script writing and poor editing. Everything is almost perfect, the actors have mastered the art of acting and the cinematographers recognized the purpose of immaculate production.
ALSO READ: Sabi List: Top 10 Best Kisses in Nollywood
Nollywood has redefined its perception of entertainment, movies now premier in the cinemas before being released officially to the general public. Movies are no longer drab but every scene serves as a step towards attaining the climax of the story.
Nigerian movies are becoming topnotch, since the advent of exquisite production companies in the industry (names withheld) and professional movie directors who are interested in every single process involved in the movie production.
Here is the complete list of the ten Nigerian movies that were exceptional in 2018 and they would go on to serve as reference points in the near future.
- King of Boys: This high class movie was directed by Kemi Adetiba and it became the fastest selling non-comedy movie in the cinema. Veteran actress Shola Shobowale also known as ‘Toyin tomato’ portrayed the lead character in this exceptional movie.
2. Yoruba Demons (Merry Men): The movie ‘Yoruba demons’ is also known as Merry men. The comedy movie was produced and directed by Ayo Makun. Yoruba demons is a comedy movie about a coterie of Abuja big boys. The ensemble of cast in the movie include Falz, Ramsey Noah, Jim Iyke and several others.
3. New Money: The movie tells the story of a young girl, who goes from being a shop girl to a billionaire, after her father leaves her his empire to run. It was directed by Tope Oshin, you need to watch this movie.
4. Divorce Not Allowed: Nollywood actor Mike Ezuruonye made his directorial debut in this classic movie. Divorce Not Allowed‘ is a comedy that explores issues faced by young couples in marriages and how their resolutions sometimes threaten to shake the foundation of their love. This movie is primary for singles that want to get married soon. This is a must watch.
5. Ehi’s Bitter: Ehi’s Bitter is primarily about child abuse, lack of love and loss of self-esteem. This movie sees a different personality of veteran actress Fathia Balogun and it features fast rising actress Debbie Felix. This is one of the top notch movies for the year.
6. We Don’t Live Here Anymore: Another immaculate movie that was directed by Tope Oshin. ‘We don’t live here anymore’ won the award for best movie of 2018 at the Best of Nollywood awards. That accolade should motivate you want to watch this movie.
7. The Ghost and The Tout: Remember I told you about Nollywood movies transcending to a whole new level. The ghost and the tout is one of the bestselling movies of 2018, it grossed N80 million and it is one of the most hilarious movies for the year. It was produced by Toyin Abraham.
8. Royal Hibiscus Hotel: The Royal Hibiscus Hotel movie as the name implies is a romantic film. It features the charming Zainab Balogun and her love interest Kenneth Okolie.
9. Moms at War: “Moms at War” is about two mothers who live in the same neighborhood, but hate each other. One felt that the other was a village girl who just got into money and is not fit to be in society with them. This is a movie about friendship, sisterhood and the prime purpose of competition.
10. Chief Daddy: Although this movie was released couple of days ago, but it was worth all the hype and buzz. Exceptional character portrayal from the ensemble of celebrities included in the movie and Falz is the standout star of the pack. Chief Daddy would be amassing all the accolades in the forthcoming year, we have indeed grown.