SABINEWS – NIGERIA/ WORLD NEWS

SABINEWS – NIGERIA/ WORLD NEWS

Sabinews daily Nigeria/World news update for July 25, 2014

 Insurgency: This blood letting must stop –IBBnational world

Former military President, Ibrahim Babangida, on Thursday queued behind people who have condemned Wednesday’s twin bomb blasts suspected to have been targeted at ex-military Head of State, Muhammadu Buhari, and an Islamic cleric, Sheik Dahiru Bauchi, in Kaduna.

Babangida warned against continued bloodletting in the country.

In a statement he personally signed and entitled, ‘This Bloodletting Must Stop’, Babangida said the bomb attacks have once again thrown up new dimensions in the political life of Nigeria which has been branded as a terrorist nation. Read more.

 

Outrage, Condemnation Trail Bomb Attacks on Buhari, Sheikh Bauchi

Another bomb blast kills one, injures eight in Kano • Kaduna curfew lifted
•  Nigeria can overcome, says former Head of State

John Shiklam   Ibrahim Shuaibu   Chuks Okocha, Onyebuchi Ezigbo,Omololu Ogunmade   and Shola Oyeyipo
Just when Nigerians are yet to get a breather from the Kaduna twin blasts, which narrowly missed a former Head of State and chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, but killed about 82 persons on Wednesday, yet another explosion rocked Kano yesterday, this time at the famous luxurious motor park located at New Road, Sabon Gari Kano State, killing a woman and leaving eight others injured.

 

It is the second explosion in Kano this year.
THISDAY gathered that the bomb was concealed in a refrigerator that was among others loaded in a truck and abandoned near one of the luxurious buses that was waiting to load passengers to Port Harcourt.

Eyewitnesses said the bomb went off when the refrigerator it was concealed in was about to be loaded into a bus that was billed to travel to Port Harcourt.  Read more.

 

Boko Haram kills monarch, 11 others in Borno

Religious extremists Boko Haram sect Tuesday night invaded Garubula village of Biu Local Government Area of Borno state, killing the District Head, Alhaji Ibrahim Dawi, and 11 others.

This is as an Improvised Explosive Device went off at the New Road Motor Park, located at the Sabon-Gari area of Kano on Thursday, killing a yet-to-be-identified woman while injuring eight other people.

A resident of the Garubula village of Biu Local Government Area of Borno state, Mallam Idrisa Garubula, said the gunmen stormed the village at about 11 p.m. and opened fire sporadically killing the District Head and 11 others, including his body guard before they fled the area unchallenged.  Read more.

Nigeria, US Finally Sign MoU on 10,000MW Power Africa Initiative

Even though they happened separately, the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Nigeria and the USA on a 10,000-megawatt (mw) power generation project and the release of 248 abandoned containers of imported power equipment worth billions of naira belonging  to the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) portend hope of more Nigerians having access to electricity.

With the MoU formalised yesterday, the federal government has agreed to work with the US Government to increase access to and availability of electricity in Nigeria through the US-backed Power Africa initiative which was launched last year in Cape Town, South Africa by US President Barack Obama.  Read more.

Doctors’ Strike: Nigerians are Dying, Says Uduaghan

Delta State Governor, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, has described the death of Mr. Moses Solomon as one of the losses in human lives that the nation has witnessed as a result of the ongoing industrial action embarked upon by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA).

Uduaghan, who was speaking when he paid a condolence visit to the state Commissioner for Works, Hon. Funkekeme Solomon, elder brother to the deceased in Warri, said it was important for the NMA to call off the strike action while the federal government looked at the issues at stake.
The late Moses Solomon, a civil servant in the Delta State Civil Service, died at the age of 49 year.

According to the governor, the death of Solomon was a sad reminder of the number of people who are dying as a result of the NMA strike action, stressing that some of the deaths were avoidable if the doctors were on duty. Read more.

Fears as man falls ill with Ebola-like symptoms in Lagos

LAGOS  (AFP) – A Liberian man has been hospitalised in Lagos with Ebola-like symptoms, but it is not yet clear if he is infected with the killer virus, Nigerian officials said Thursday.

The 40-year-old Monrovia resident arrived in Nigeria’s mega-city on Sunday and was admitted to hospital on Tuesday suffering from severe vomiting and diarrhoea, said Yewande Adesina, the special advisor on health for the Lagos state government.

The patient was “detained for possible Ebola infection while blood samples were sent to the Virology Reference Laboratory in Lagos as well as to the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Dakar,” she said. Read more

One killed, eight injured in Kano blast

KANO – An unidentified woman was killed and eight others were injured when a high calibre improvised explosive device concealed in a Refrigerator went off at New Road motor park, Sabon Gari area of Kano metropolis.

The incident which occurred around 3:00pm led to  pandemonium  in a commercial city. New Road motor park was the scene of a deadly blast last year where no fewer than 70 lives were lost. Read more

U.N. shelter in Gaza hit, 16 dead

Gaza City (CNN) — At least 16 people were killed and many more were wounded when a U.N. shelter in northern Gaza was hit during Thursday’s fighting, officials said.

John Ging, director of the U.N.’s Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, confirmed to CNN’s Christiane Amanpour that 16 died in the strike. Numbers were still coming in as to how many people were wounded, he said.

A Palestinian government statement condemned the incident, calling it “Israeli brutal aggression that targeted” Gaza’s displaced. It demanded an end to the “Israeli war machine.”

The strike wounded more than 200, most of them women and children, the statement said. It also said the death toll was 16.

It’s unclear who was behind the incident. The Israeli military said it could have been a rocket fired from Gaza that fell short of Israel and exploded.  Read more.

 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *