SOUTH AFRICANS TO SUE TB JOSHUA

SOUTH AFRICANS TO SUE TB JOSHUA

Sabinews Daily Morning News Update for September 25, 2014MORNING NEWS

 

National News

 

South Africans to Sue TB Joshua

Two South Africans, who lost relatives when a guest house at the Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) in Lagos collapsed, have told the BBC they intend to sue Nigerian evangelist TB Joshua.

The two men, who both lost sisters in the collapse, are appealing for more families to come together in bringing a case against the preacher. Read more

Ekiti CJ Shuts down Courts as Fayose’s Supporters Beat up Judge

As the trial of the Governor-elect of Ekiti State, Mr. Ayodele Fayose,  over a case instituted to challenge his qualification for the June 21 governorship election begins to  generate tension, the Chief Judge of the state, Justice Ayodeji Daramola,  has ordered the closure of all courts operating  in the state till further notice.

In spite of the heavy presence of security personnel, comprising men of the Nigerian Army, police and State Security Service (SSS), who took over the court premises to prevent the recurrence of what happened  on Monday, when the trial judge,  Justice Segun Ogunyemi, was beaten, some youths yesterday still protested  in continuation of their opposition to alleged plan to stop Fayose’s inauguration through judicial means. Read more

Nigerian students ‘quarantined’ for failing to prove Ebola status

At least two Nigerian students who arrived here this week without medical certificates to prove that they are not infected with the deadly Ebola virus, have been quarantined and will be repatriated .

“… because the students are from Nigeria, there are certain provisions that are put in place for entry, because there has not been an outright restriction,” Chief Immigration Officer Stanford Hamilton told the media earlier this week. Read more

Lagos Assembly orders re-opening of LCDA chamber

Lagos State House of Assembly has ordered embattled Chairman of the Mosan/Okunola Local Council Development Area (LCDA), Abiodun Mafe, to re-open the council’s legislative chamber, which he allegedly locked up in the heat of a lingering crisis.

Mafe had told the lawmakers that he was not responsible for the locking up of the chamber.

He appeared before the lawmakers on Wednesday evening during plenary to explain why he allegedly flouted a resolution of the Assembly that status quo be maintained in the crisis between and his councillors. Read more

FRSC trains officers on Ebola control

The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) has said it has trained its members to contain the spread and effect of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).

The Sector Commander of the commission in Anambra State, Sunday Ajayi, made this known Thursday at the Ebola Virus Disease alert campaign held in the commission’s office in Awka by the Ministry of Health officials of the state. Read more

No plan to demolish houses over Apapa Road expansion – LASG

The Lagos State Government, on Thursday, allayed the fears of residents that the plan to expand the Gaskiya-College and Sari-Iganmu Roads in Apapa Local Government Area of the state will result in mass demolition of houses within the area.

Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Kadri Obafemi Hamzat, allayed the fears of the residents at a stakeholder’s meeting held at the Ladipo Primary School, Amukoko, stating that government has no plans to do extensive demolition so as to expand the road from the present eight metres to 13.4 kilometres. Read more

Ekiti ex-NURTW boss shot dead

A former Ekiti State Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Omolafe Aderiye, was killed last night by unknown gunmen in Ijigbo area of the state capital, Ado-Ekiti.

He was shot at close range in his office while eating with friends. Read more

Boko Haram: Damaturu residents rejoice over Army’s victory

A cross section of Damaturu residents yesterday, expressed joy over the recent victory of the Nigerian army over members of the Boko Haram sect in the North-East of the country.

They expressed their feelings in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, in Damaturu, the Yobe capital. Read more

Medical Panel Not Meant to Remove Suntai

The acting Governor of Taraba State, Alhaji Garba Umar, yesterday visited the national secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to clarify the objective for constituting the medical committee set up by the state House of Assembly, stating that it was not aimed at removing the ailing Governor Danbaba Suntai.
He also used the opportunity to present what could be described as his report card since assumption of office as the acting governor of Taraba State. Read more

APC Warns Against Cover up of $9.3m Cash-for-Arms Deal

The All Progressives Congress (APC) has condemned the alleged attempt by the federal government, in conjunction with some members of the National Assembly to cover up the smuggling of $9.3 million to South Africa on a private plane for the purpose of procuring arms.

The party however said the cover-up would fail because the issues involved transcend Nigeria. Read more

Again, FG Withdraws N6.5bn Fraud Case against Ex-Works Minister, Others

The federal government has discontinued the trial of a former Minister of Works, Hassan Lawal, charged with nine others over an alleged N6.5billion fraud in the execution of a contract awarded in 2007 for the construction of a bridge on River Benue to link Kogi to Nasarawa States.

The ex-minister had been standing trial on a 46-count charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/38/2011 with Adeogba Ademola, Dave Enejoh, Okala Yakubu, Thahal Paul and five companies Digital Toll Company Limited, Swede Control Intertek Ltd, Proman Vital Ventures Ltd, Wise Wealth Services Ltd and Abbey Building Society. Read more

Health Workers Threaten Strike Action

The Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) and Assembly of Health Care Professionals (AHCP) have threatened indefinite industrial action if agreements reached between them and Federal Government are not implemented by October 8.

They want government to set up a committee to consider allowances, including for excess work load, health and safety responsibility. Read more

 

Sabinews News Update on Economy

 

 

‘High Interest Rate, Bane of SMEs Development’

Senator Victor Oyofo yesterday described high interest rate charged by commercial banks as the bane of industrial development in Nigeria.

Oyofo, who made this disclosure at the official opening of the 9th Abuja international trade fair yesterday, also called for the ban on importation of generators, alleging that the importers are sabotaging the economy. Read more

Nigeria, Germany to Improve Economic Ties

Nigeria and Germany have promised to improve on their economic and parliamentary co-operation in order to enhance the well being of the two nations.
This position was made when German Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Mike Zenner and Senate President, David Mark, met in Abuja yesterday. Read more

Internet penetration to boost entertainment revenue to $8.5bn by 2018

The Internet will be a key driver for the Nigerian economy, where the number of mobile Internet subscribers is expected to surge from 7.7 million in 2013 to 50.4 million in 2018.

Nigeria’s entertainment and media revenues will reach an estimated US $8.5bn in 2018, more than doubling from the 2013 figure of US $4.0bn at a CAGR of 16.1 percent. Read more

Experts Speak on FG’s Target of Creating 3 Million Jobs Nationwide in 12 Months

Some financial experts on Thursday, expressed divergent views on the Federal Government recent inauguration of a Presidential Board for the creation of three million jobs nationwide.

Many of the experts were of the view that that Nigerian youths would be gainfully employed, if the government creates the enabling environment for businesses to thrive. Read more

Auto Policy: Is Toyota Missing In Action?

The ongoing implementation of the revived National Automotive Policy by the federal government is receiving needed attention by all stakeholders, including automobile companies and their representatives in Nigeria.

Many of the leading players in the industry have already expressed their support and desire to deepen the investment plans for vehicle assembling in the country. Read more

Nigeria’s Export to China Rises by 117.9%

The Consul General of the Peoples Republic of China, Mr. Liu Kan, yesterday placed the trade volume between Nigeria and China in the first six months of 2014 at $11.76 billion.
Kan who spoke in Lagos at the 65th anniversary of the founding of his country, also noted that Nigeria’s export to China during the period rose by a significant 117.9 per cent, higher than all the export from Nigeria to China in the whole of the previous year, 2013.

“In the first half of the year, the trade volume between China and Nigeria reached $11.76 billion, among which the import from Nigeria to China increased by 117.9 per cent, which surpassed the total for last year,” Kan stated. Read more

Savannah Bank customers petition Jonathan over trapped deposits

Customers of Savannah Bank under the aegis of Concerned Customers whose deposits had been trapped in the bank over the years have sent a Save Our Soul (SOS) message to President Goodluck Jonathan, the National Assembly and Minister of Finance/Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr. (Mrs.) Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, over their plight.

In the SOS endorsed by Chief John Paul Okoye, Ladi Otumba and Alhaji Idi Mohammed, on behalf of other depositors, the concerned customers stated how their money had been trapped in the bank since February 2002 following its closure. Read more

Oyo partners NIPC on investment promotion

Oyo State government has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Nigerian Investment promotion Commission (NIPC) on accelerated business development in the state.

Signing the MOU on behalf of the state government, the deputy governor, Chief Moses Adeyemo, who led the state delegation of the Bureau of Investment Promotion, Public and Private Partnership, stated that the essence of the MoU was for the state to synergise with the commission to move its economic and investment development forward. Read more

 

Sabinews News Update on Oil and Gas

 

Oil worker killed, 2 others kidnapped

The Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, and its Petroleum and its Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria counterpart, PENGASSAN, said yesterday that one oil worker was killed, while three others were kidnapped in Port Harcourt and Warri, respectively, in the last five days.

While a PENGASSAN member working for Halliburton Oil Services, Mr. Bankole Orisanyan, was murdered in his home in Port Harcourt on Monday, two staff of Agip were kidnapped in Port Harcourt, while a staff of Chevron Nigeria Limited was kidnapped in Warri between Saturday and Sunday. Read more

 

 

World News

 

Sierra Leone Puts A Million People Under Quarantine As Situation Deteriorates

Following a three-day country-wide quarantine that ended last week, Sierra Leone has placed three more districts with over a million people under indefinite quarantine, reports Reuters.

Five of the country’s 14 districts covering almost a third of its population are now under restrictive orders.

Most of these regions house very poor communities and experts are worried about the implications of the quarantine. Read more

Four children killed in China school stabbing

A man armed with a knife has killed four children in China’s southern Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, state media report.

The attack took place on Friday as the students were on their way to school in Pingshan town, state-run Xinhua news agency said, citing local authorities.

It added that local police were searching for the suspect, who is believed to be a middle-aged man. Read more

Apparent U.S.-led strikes hit oil areas in east Syria – monitoring group

Air and missile strikes hit oilfields in eastern Syria in an apparent attack by U.S.-led forces against Islamic State militants, a monitoring group said on Friday.

An air strike hit the al-Tanak oilfield area in the eastern province of Deir al-Zor, said the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors the conflict through a network of sources.

Deir al-Zor, which borders Iraq, is almost entirely controlled by Islamic State militants and was a major oil-producing province before Syria’s conflict began more than three years ago. Read more

India’s Modi faces U.S. damages case over Gujarat riots

A U.S. court has ordered Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to answer allegations that he failed to stop anti-Muslim rioting when he was chief minister of Gujarat state, overshadowing his first trip to the United States as his country’s leader.The civil case before a New York court seeks compensatory and punitive damages from Modi for crimes against humanity and extrajudicial killings under the Alien Tort Claims Act and the Torture Victim Protection Act. Modi has 21 days to respond. The petitioner in the case is the American Justice Center, a non-profit human rights organisation, acting on behalf of two survivors of the 2002 riots in the western Indian state.”There is evidence to support the conclusion that minister Modi committed both acts of intentional and malicious direction to authorities in India to kill and maim innocent persons of the Muslim faith,” the petition said. After years of being unwelcome in the United States, Modi will arrive for a five-day visit on Friday where he will speak at the United Nations in New York before heading to Washington for talks with President Barack Obama. Read more

 

Sabinews News Update on Energy

 

Nigeria’s Power Industry Bailout Heads Off Threat to Lenders

Nigeria has headed off a threat to its banking industry by propping up struggling power companies with an intervention fund, said analysts including Pabina Yinkere of Vetiva Capital Management Ltd.

The 213 billion naira ($1.3 billion) fund announced by President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration on Sept. 19 will be used to pay off gas-supply debts owed by power companies and to cover revenue shortfalls. It will also help them meet debt service obligations to banks on loans of almost 500 billion naira, on which some were falling behind. Read more

 

 

Sabinews News Update on Sports

 

NFF Election – Eseka Backs Umeh for NFF Presidency

Veteran sports journalist, Chris Eseka has backed Chief Mike Umeh in his ambition to become the next President of the Nigeria Football Federation.

Eseka who is a pioneer in sports marketing in the country said he had known Umeh since the early 1990s adding that the achievements of the Anambra State-born football administrator stood him out among the field of contestants in the race for the NFF Presidency. Read more

7 cleared for NFF Presidential polls

Seven persons have been cleared to vie for the Presidency of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) on Tuesday in Warri, Delta State.

The candidates gunning for the NFF Presidency are Ogunjobi Taiwo Joseph (Osun State), Yola Abba Abdullahi (Kano State), Mike Umeh (Anambra State), Pinnick Amaju Melvin (Delta State), Iorfa Mtem Dominic (Benue State), Shehu Dikko (Kaduna State) and Amanze U. Uchegbulam (Imo State). Read more

National Awards: Tottenham stop Musa Yahaya

Tottenham Hotspur trainee, Musa Yahaya and Porto Academy player Chidera Ezeh will be conspicuously absent when the Golden Eaglets are bestowed with national honours on September 30.

Both midfielders intended to honour President Goodluck Jonathan’s invitation, but they won’t be making the journey to the Nigerian capital after their European teams failed to sanction the trip. Read more

Oshaniwa: Eagles will qualify for 2015 AFCON

Super Eagles’ defender Juwon Oshaniwa has urged Nigerians not to fret over the country’s qualification for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON)  slated for Morocco.

Nigeria’s senior national team only picked a point out of possible six including a 2-3 home to the Red Devils of Congo on September 6 at Calabar. Read more

 

 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *