August 20, 2018

Syrian accused of Berlin bomb commits suicide

Syrian accused of Berlin bomb commits suicide

A Syrian migrant suspected of planning a bomb attack on a Berlin airport has killed himself in police custody in Leipzig, the justice ministry for the state of Saxony said on Wednesday

Investigators believe Jaber al-Bakr, 22, who arrived in Germany last year, was close to staging an attack comparable to those that killed 130 people in Paris last November and 32 in Belgium in March.

“On the evening of October 12, 2016, Jaber Albakr, who was suspected of planning a serious attack, took his life in the detention centre at Leipzig correctional hospital,” the ministry said in a statement on its website.

The ministry said it would give more details at a news conference in Dresden on Thursday at 0900 GMT.

Spiegel Online reported that al-Bakr had been under round-the-clock surveillance in police custody in Leipzig due to an acute risk of suicide and hunger strike. It was not yet clear how he had killed himself, Spiegel said. Read more 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *