October 16, 2018

Latest Updates

* Uncertainty over Oyegun’s future as APC Govs’ meeting with Buhari deadlocked (ThisDay) * Obasanjo unfair to Buhari –APC chieftain (SUN)

* Uncertainty over Oyegun’s future as APC Govs’ meeting with Buhari deadlocked (ThisDay)        * Obasanjo unfair to Buhari –APC chieftain (SUN)

SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE APRIL 4, 2018

 

Uncertainty over Oyegun’s future as APC Govs’ meeting with Buhari deadlocked (ThisDay)

The attempt by President Muhammadu Buhari and governors elected on the platform of All Progressives Congress (APC) to resolve the lingering quagmire caused by the president’s rejection of the 12 months tenure extension for elected and appointed executives of the party at all levels, ended in a stalemate at the State House Tuesday. The inability of both sides to agree on the issue has effectively cast an air of uncertainty over the fate of the National Chairman of the APC, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, even as the presidency is already leaning towards former Edo State governor Adams Oshiomhole to emerge as the chairman of the party at its National Convention, in the event Buhari gets his way. Read more

Obasanjo unfair to Buhari –APC chieftain (SUN)

An All Progressives Congress (APC) National Executive Committee (NEC) member, Nasiru Danu, has said former president Olusegun Obasanjo as being unfair in his assessment of President Muhammadu Buhari. Speaking with newsmen on the sidelines of his  inauguration as a member of the APC Technical Committee, at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja yesterday, Danu said Obasanjo’s thoughts on the re-election ambition of Buhari were his personal opinion and not that of Nigerians. He said although Obasanjo remains an elder statesman, his assertions on the performance of President Buhari were more political than anything else. Obasanjo had, at the weekend, described the Buhari administration as an irredeemable failure and asked Nigerians not to “reinforce failure in the 2019 general elections. Read more

Ahead of CHOGM, Buhari heads to London on private Visit (ThisDay)

President Muhammadu Buhari will leave Nigeria on April 9 for London, ahead of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) scheduled to take place between April 16 and 20 in the British capital. A top presidency source told Thisday Tuesday that the president was leaving Nigeria ahead of the meeting to attend to some private matters in the United Kingdom. The source, however, did not explain the nature of the private matters the president wants to attend to.

At the CHOGM summit, leaders will focus on delivering a sustainable, fairer, a more secure and prosperous future for the citizens of its member states. Read more

Kogi Gov in plaster cast after injuring foot (ThisDay)

The Governor of Kogi State, Alhaji Yahaya Bello’s left foot is currently in a plaster cast after falling from a car and sustaining an injury, possibly a fracture, on the foot. Thisday gathered Tuesday that the incident occurred during the Easter holidays along the Old Market road in Lokoja when he was returning from a trip to Abuja. According to an eyewitness account, the governor who was in a BMW car opened the door of the car when he got to the Old Market in Lokoja, the state capital, and in an attempt to stand up and spray money on people by the roadside, slipped and hurt his left foot. Read more

UN condemns Maiduguri attack, says Boko Haram has killed 120 in 2018 (Punch)

The United Nations office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs has condemned the Easter Sunday Boko Haram attack in the Jere Local Government Area of Borno State, noting that at least 120 civilians has so far been killed by the terrorists in 2018. The UN Deputy Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr. Yassine Gaba, who stated this in a statement, quoted local sources as saying that 34 persons were killed and 90 others injured in the Easter Sunday attack on Bale Kura, Bale Shuwari, Jamine and Alikaramti villages in the Jere Local Government Area. Read more

Jonathan denies raid on his residence, discovery of stolen loot (ThisDay)

Former President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, has denied the video and news report alleging that there was a raid in his residence and that loot was discovered by the raiders who are members of the Nigerian police. In a statement signed by the activist and former Adviser to Jonathan on Social Media, Reno Omokiri, the former president said the report was allegedly circulated by agents of the All Progressives Congress (APC)-led federal government purported to be videos of a police raid of the home of President Jonathan, and in which huge sums of money were found. Read more

UNILAG faculty holds lecture (Guardian)

Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola (SAN), will be the special guest at the public lecture of the Department of Commercial and Industrial Law, Faculty of Law, University of Lagos (UNILAG). Also, chairman of Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote and chairman of Forte Oil Plc, Femi Otedela will be special guests while former Foreign Affairs Minister, Mr Odein Ajumogobia (SAN) will chair the event. The lecture will hold at J. F. Ade-Ajayi Auditorium by 11a.m. on Friday, April 6, with the theme: “Funding Governmental Services in a Federation: The Inevitable Admixture of Law and Politics”, to be delivered by Deputy Chief of Staff to the President, Mr Ade Ipaye. Read more

NHIS boss in another controversy, ignores TSA, moves to Invest N25bn in FGN Bonds (ThisDay)

The Executive Secretary of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), Prof. Usman Yusuf, is embroiled in yet another controversy following his decision to invest at least N25 billion of the scheme’s funds in government securities through Cowry Asset Management Limited. This is even as the Minister of Finance Kemi Adeosun and her counterpart in the health ministry, Prof. Isaac Adewole, according to documents seen by THISDAY, have both warned against the investment, saying it is in violation of the government’s Treasury Single Account (TSA) policy. Read more

 ‘Women participation in global trade, an opportunity to accelerate development’ (Guardian)

The Nigerian Export Promotion Council (NEPC) has stated that empowering women under the ‘SheTrades Initiative’ is an opportunity to accelerate the nation’s economic growth and unlock the potential of the captive ability of women who dominate the nation’s non-oil export sectors. According to the Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer of NEPC, Olusegun Awolowo, increasing participation of Nigerian women in global trade by lowering the barriers faced by women entrepreneurs at home and internationally, and helping more businesswomen to connect to international value chains, would bolster growth and gender inclusiveness in economic growth. Read more

Obaseki lauds Oshiomhole at 66 (ThisDay)

The Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has congratulated his predecessor, Adams Oshiomhole, as he clocks 66 years today. In a statement, Obaseki praised Oshiomhole for his accomplishment as a former governor and labour leader, noting, “We celebrate you and all that you have accomplished through your humble beginnings to your illustrious career as a labour leader, and as the immediate past formidable, progressive governor of our dear state.” He added: “Your leadership prowess has ushered in a new chapter in our quest for development and we celebrate your unforgettable contributions to advancing our march to modernisation.” Read more

Melaye, accusers get May 10 court date (Nation)

The Police said yesterday that Senator Dino Melaye and the four suspects rearrested for alleged conspiracy and unlawful possession of prohibited firearms will be arraigned at the Federal High Court in Lokoja, Kogi on May 10. The Force said the suspects would be arraigned in court for prosecution after completion of investigation. Their escape led the Inspector General (IG), Ibrahim Idris, to remove the state Police Commissioner and also deploy personnel from special unit of the Force to investigate their escape. Explaining  how the suspects were rearrested, the Force spokesman, ACP Jimoh Moshood, in a statement yesterday, said the principal suspects, Kabiru Saidu (a.k.a Osama) was rearrested in Bauchi State and Nuhu Salisu (a.k.a Small) was rearrested in Ganaja Village, Lokoja. Read more

We’re happy with progress of forensic audit –Tinubu (SUN)

The Group Chief Executive Officer of Oando Plc, Mr. Wale Tinubu, has said that the company was happy with the progress of the forensic audit being carried out by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Tinubu stated this during an interactive session with the media on the sidelines of the commissioning of the company’s new office, ‘Wings Complex’, on Victoria Island, Lagos yesterday. He stated that the company was co-operating with the relevant authorities in the audit, adding that every shareholder of the group has a right to be included in order to know what the company is made up of, and to participate in the governance structure in a bid to help it to deliver better returns to investors. Read more

2 die in soldiers, robbers’ shootout in Kaduna (Punch)

Some soldiers deployed in Dogon Dawa and Damari Road in Kaduna State have engaged in a shootout with suspected armed robbers in the area, during which two robbers were shot dead. Our correspondent learnt that after the Dogon Dawa incident, some robbers along Rigasa-Airport Road, however, ambushed some of the soldiers and injured two of them in a gun battle. It was gathered that the soldiers on patrol were part of the troops deployed in the area for Exercise Ayem Akpatuma. Read more

Gunmen kill 2 policemen, others, abduct monarch in Kogi, Rivers (Guardian)

Unknown gunmen yesterday invaded a police station at Gegu area of Kogi State, killing two policemen on duty and a suspect in police cell. The Guardian checks revealed that heavily armed bandits with AK-47 numbering five invaded the station at about 2:15a.m. On motorbike. According to the source, as soon as they alighted at the station, they opened fire to scare people away and then moved into the station, shot two policemen on duty and killed a suspect in custody. Read more

HFN holds national championship for youths (Nation)

The Handball Federation of Nigeria (HFN) has finalised plans to host the National under 12 and Under 18 Championship at the Mobolaji Johnson Sports Centre, Rowe Park, Lagos from April 6 to 15. At the press conference held yesterday, President of the HFN, Sam Ocheho, said that the competition, which will have teams from the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja,  is meant to kick start the revolution of the game in the country. Ocheho stated that the expectation of the HFN is that the competition would to the discovery of new players that can be groomed to become future starts, adding that he is ready to go to the Nations Cup with young players and lose instead of featuring spent forces at such events. Read more

Big-dollar promises for Nigeria athletes as 2018 C’Games begin (Punch)

The Federal Government has promised to reward athletes who win gold for Nigeria at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games with $5,000 each. Sports minister Solomon Dalung, who revealed the financial package for the 90 athletes representing the country at the  21st Commonwealth Games, which open   in the Australian sixth largest city Gold Coast on Wednesday,  said silver medallists would receive $3,000  each, with each   bronze medallists picking up  $2, 000  for their efforts. However, Dalung  warned  the athletes against  tarnishing the image of the country at the Games. He said, “I see you are all in high spirits and it shows that you have prepared for the competition. The President has sent his special greetings to inspire you. It is the President’s wish, that at the end of our sojourn here, the name of Nigeria will be great. Read more

Heavy rainfall destroys Kwara Stadium (Nation)

A heavy rainfall on Tuesday evening, damaged a large portion of the Kwara Stadium Complex, Ilorin, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)m reports. The Stadium Manager, Mr Wale Obalola, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that it was the grace of God that averted the loss of lives during the heavy storm that accompanied the rain. Obalola said that some people were still seeking refuge at one of the affected parts of the stadium while the storm lasted. He said that the downpour completely damaged the ultra-modern score board and the whole of western perimeter fence of the old wing of the main bowl. Read more

‘EPL clubs spent £211m on agents’ (Punch)

Premier League clubs paid £211m to agents in the past year, an increase of £37m, new figures show, BBC Sport reports. Liverpool were the top flight’s biggest spenders at £26.8m, according to Football Association data from  February  1, 2017 to January  31,  2018. English clubs across the top five divisions spent £257m on agent fees, also an increase of £37m on 2016-17. National League club Aldershot were the lowest spenders at £112. FA data published last year showed fees paid by English clubs to agents had risen by 38 per cent  in 12 months – up from £160m to £220m. Read more

Ronaldo magic powers Madrid to emphatic win in Turin (RTE)

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice, his second a brilliant overhead kick, as Real Madrid took a huge step towards the Champions League semi-finals with a 3-0 win against Juventus in Turin. Ronaldo fired the LaLiga side ahead just three minutes into the quarter-final first-leg tie, and then produced a moment of pure brilliance to double the lead just after the hour which even had the home fans applauding. Juve saw forward Paulo Dybala sent off for a second yellow card before Marcelo added Real’s third away goal in the 72nd minute to all but end the contest ahead of the second leg back in Madrid. Read more

Jose Mourinho wants to swap Marcus Rashford with 25-year-old star attacker (Thefaithfulmufc)

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho is seemingly desperate to get his hands of Real Madrid Isco during the summer. According to Don Balon, United could agree upon a surprise exchange deal involving Marcus Rashford for the Spain international. Mourinho has repeatedly suggested that he is content with his attacking options for the current season and beyond, but reports continue to link several attackers with the club including Isco’s teammates Gareth Bale. As per Don Balon, Isco has re-emerged as a transfer target for the Red Devils with Mourinho urging the club’s hierarchy to do what it takes to pursue the former Malaga man. It is added that United could go to the extent of offering Rashford in a straight-swap deal in order to do business with their European rivals. Read more

Mexico vets and disperses Central American migrant ‘caravan’ (Reuters)

Mexican officials on Tuesday screened a dwindling group of hundreds of largely Central American migrants who are moving through Mexico toward the United States, seeking to break up the “caravan” that has drawn the ire of U.S. President Donald Trump. Trump, doubling down on his tough stance against illegal immigration, has railed against those making their way from the Guatemala-Mexico border in the past 10 days. Trump repeated threats to torpedo the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which underpins much of Mexico’s foreign trade, and said he wanted to send troops to the U.S. border to stop illegal immigrants until a long-promised border wall is built. Read more

China’s defense chief calls his Moscow trip a signal to US (Washingtonpost)

China’s new defense minister says his visit to Russia is a signal to the United States about the increasingly close military ties between Moscow and Beijing. The unusually bold statement Tuesday by Gen. Wei Fenghe at the start of his talks with Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu reflected the growing military cooperation between the two former Communist rivals. Speaking in Moscow, Wei emphasized that he chose Russia for his first trip abroad since becoming the international face of China’s military last month to “show the world a high level of development of our bilateral relations and firm determination of our armed forces to strengthen strategic cooperation.” Read more

Trump targets violent gang MS-13 in immigration crackdown (Skynews)

Donald Trump has put MS-13, one of the world’s deadliest gangs, at the heart of his immigration reform. He’s vowed to destroy the group and send members back to El Salvador. Sky News has followed the journey of some of those deported from America in recent months to see how El Salvador is coping. MS-13 was in fact formed on the street corners of Los Angeles and only spread when members were deported back to Central America. The new wave of deportees from America are returning to a country many haven’t seen in decades and one where the gangs dominate neighbourhoods with the threat of extortion, rape and murder. Read more

 

We think you'd love these too...

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *